Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribb-LEM Mark II: March 7th-17th 2015 - details here!

Everyone, please note: The 10-night package has been eliminated. We had a partial schedule conflict, and truthfully most people were only interested in the 7-night package anyway, so rather than change all the dates we just eliminated the 10-night package. Everything else is still on schedule.

Don't forget to check the flight times (see this post) for the transfer flights to and from the island. Use those times to plan your main flight to Honduras so you don't end up sitting in San Pedro Sula for the whole day.

Adam

BUMP BUMP BUMP. Come see Utila and play with lasers!

What are people's plans for ferrying in lasers? Do people put them on flights as add'l cargo, or fedex them in separately?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Uh... are you talking about "the box???" I'm not certain there is a vehicle on the island qualified to transport that beast.

Small projectors can be taken as carry-on luggage or as checked baggage. (Mario put one in his suitcase!) Larger units would probably need to be in flight cases, though it might still be cheaper to check them as extra bags vs trying to ship them via FedEx. The exception would be your large flight case, Rick. That one would almost certainly have to be sent via freight - but it would also be prohibitively expensive.

Then too, Rich (Neutrino) has a nice collection of laser projectors on the island already. So while it would be great to have extra units there, it's not 100% required. I'm thinking if anyone wants to bring a projector, I'd limit it to something the size of a Pluto or smaller.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Uh... are you talking about "the box???" I'm not certain there is a vehicle on the island qualified to transport that beast.
    Hah! no. That badboy is for trailers only

I'll have some other, smaller units to play with. I'm sure they're easy to ship/check/whatever. I do wonder how it'll all get mounted? I doubt I'll be shipping PJ stands or a truss over there. Brad, you got that covered?

Last time we took a picnic table, stacked up some milk crates on each side, put a 2x12 beam across the top, strapped the whole mess down with ratchet straps, and then set the projectors on top of the 2x12. We had 5 projectors up there, and it worked really well. (This was for the outdoor show in support of the beach party.)

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    Brad, you got that covered?
    Uh... somehow I don't see that making it aboard the plane.

We won't need it anyway.

One thing you learn real fast about Utila is that "there's always a way to make it work with what you have lying around". Since they often don't have all the supplies they need (they are on an island, after all), they've gotten really good at improvising.

Rich came up with the idea of the milk crates and the 2 x 12. When he first told me about it, it sounded ghetto as hell and completely unsafe. But after we tightened those ratchet straps down, the thing was sold as a rock. In the end, it was every bit as sturdy as a truss.

Adam

Exclamation March 7th, 2015 is coming up fast! Who's going to Caribb-LEM Mark II next year?

Hey guys;

Caribb-LEM Mark II is just under 5 months away. Now is the time to start thinking about booking your flight, reserving your room, and making sure you have your passport in order!

I've been in touch with Rich (Neutrino) and his sister Sarah about the connecting flight from the mainland airport (SAP) to the island and back. Long story short, it would be best if you could arrive at SAP by 1 PM, since the regularly-scheduled flight from SAP to Utila leaves at 3 PM. (This gives us enough time to clear customs, get our luggage, and still make the connecting flight.) Rich and Sarah have done a lot of work to make this happen, and getting the price included in the room reservation is a huge plus!

If you can't get to SAP until later, there is another option: Rich and Sarah can charter a flight to get you to the island. This would require a set number of people to be arriving at the later time to work, but it can be done. The latest that flight can leave is around 4:30 PM though.

Another alternative is to fly to the island of Roatan (RTB) instead of SAP. There are flights from Roatan to Utila, and they leave slightly later since it's a shorter hop from Roatan to Utila than it is from SAP to Utila. (The time limits are based on when the Utila airport closes for the evening.)

We need to start planning flights now so we can be certain everyone is covered. We would like to arrange it so that no one has to spend a night on the mainland this time. This saves time and money, and gives everyone the maximum amount of time on the island. This should also put first-timers at ease, since it will be safest if you never have to leave the airport on the mainland.

Rich told me that there will be 3 RGB projectors and 2 R/B projectors on the island for us to use, plus whatever other gear people bring. The plan is to do the outdoor beach party (with lasers) again, and this time we also want to do a show indoors at one of the clubs in town.

And of course, there will be plenty of SCUBA diving and other activities by day (see the first post in this thread for a more complete list of things to do on Utila!).

So who's going this year? I know that Cody (Picasso) has already reserved his spot. Anyone else?

Adam