Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X/Y Audio Laser Control - Like an oscilloscope

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Oh, I got your intentions wrong.

Can you tell how exactly you are creating those images? I assume they are computer generated. What program are you using?

Can you program?

It's all audio - left channel = x, right channel = y. Lots of experimentation with sine tones etc, etc…

The bits where you see words and graphics are audio that I produced using this: http://dalpix.com/rabiscoscopio

But almost none of what I do is produced this way, so I need to concentrate on L=X, R=Y.

I can't program but I'm willing to enlist someone who can. (having said that, my budget's pretty small).

Thanks for being so helpful

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Since you're already dealing with sound, your best bet is a modified sound card. I have absolutely no experience with them. They used to be pretty popular but cheap DACs are coming up, and sound card DACs are not very stable (lots of problems etc.). If you can program, you could try to create an application that converts a sound stream to points which can be sent to a regular DAC. This way you can have the best of both worlds.

Laserboy is a program that was designed to convert laser art into wave files, for usage with a sound card.
    http://laserboy.org/

These wave files typically have 6 or 8 channels. You'll need to find a way to convert your sound to 6 or 8 channels and have the green channel continuously open (or modulate it).

I'm not saying sound card DACs are the way to go. Definately look into the cheaper DACs. You can get them for $150 or so (the Riya Lite which is not that much more expensive than a 8 channel sound card). $200 gets you a really nice ethernet controlled DAC (the Etherdream). If you think that's expensive... stop here :P

That's extremely cheap. And I'll look into it. Thanks again!

This has come up a number of times, I have talked to a number of people about this from a hardware perspective. I think it can apply to people who may be using audio software have a projector but have yet to buy laser software.

From what I understand a board with an ILDA connector with the pins appropriately protected to limit both voltage and frequency, jacks to input into the x y and perhaps the r g b.

I understand that the frequency protection is nessisary if one is using signal generators that may go outside the range that scanners can handle. This probably should be based on the average in a Chinese projector since this is most likely what someone wanting to do this might have.

If I had this skill I would draw a schematic but I will leave that to someone else.
    Tommy

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

your best choice for a sound card DAC is a modified echo layla 24/96.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Since you're already dealing with sound, your best bet is a modified sound card. I have absolutely no experience with them. They used to be pretty popular but cheap DACs are coming up, and sound card DACs are not very stable (lots of problems etc.). If you can program, you could try to create an application that converts a sound stream to points which can be sent to a regular DAC. This way you can have the best of both worlds.

Laserboy is a program that was designed to convert laser art into wave files, for usage with a sound card.
    http://laserboy.org/

These wave files typically have 6 or 8 channels. You'll need to find a way to convert your sound to 6 or 8 channels and have the green channel continuously open (or modulate it).

I'm not saying sound card DACs are the way to go. Definately look into the cheaper DACs. You can get them for $150 or so (the Riya Lite which is not that much more expensive than a 8 channel sound card). $200 gets you a really nice ethernet controlled DAC (the Etherdream). If you think that's expensive... stop here :P
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    your best choice for a sound card DAC is a modified echo layla 24/96.
    Definitely. Search for it by name, Layla 24 here on PL, there are several threads about it now. I'll spare everyone a big post here.

Thanks gwuys!

This sentence is to lengthen my message to at least fifteen characters.

I can't find any information on protecting the galvos from overload. Can anyone link me to a relevant thread or share some advice?

I can apply a low-pass filter in my audio software but still won't feel totally safe…

Quote Originally Posted by adoxo View Post
    I can't find any information on protecting the galvos from overload. Can anyone link me to a relevant thread or share some advice?

I can apply a low-pass filter in my audio software but still won't feel totally safe…
    This is why I mention maybe someone could suggest a buffer circuit for the ILDA connector to protect against anything outside the voltages and frequencies needed.