Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Other hobbies and money-pit obsessions...

Since it's flying season again...

This:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360CFX - desk.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	46826

FINALLY grew into this:

Name:	N7 - desk.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	46827

It's loud, smokes a lot, and at 10 pounds flying weight with 61.5" of carbon-fiber main rotor blades spinning at 2000 RPM, a bit scary - and I like it...
    "I love the smell of nitro in the morning..."

Name:	N7 - Heli Flyers field.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	663.2 KB 
ID:	46828 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Synergy N7 Hover.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	46829

And on another note, since last posting about this craziness:
    Just rebuilt my desktop PC - again;
    Added to the synth rack - again;
    Paid for repairs on one of my QM cards;
    Started building my own home-brew laser media rack;
    Added Light Converse, Enttec D-Pro, and a couple of movers to the lighting rig.

Good thing I don't have any kids expecting an inheritance...
    Last edited by Stuka; 04-13-2015 at 14:14.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I admit what i do is hoarding but i have better junk then whats on that tv program, I use two general rules, buy stuff that can net a gain, only buy stuff you don't mind getting stuck with. For antique radios i have this as my best

Name:	P3220309.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	46831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7110036.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	430.9 KB 
ID:	46832 I got best of show in 2005.
    I collect dragons stuff too and have a bench from around 1780-1820, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dviewr.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	449.2 KB 
ID:	46833 , sadly it was damaged bad from a neighbors house catching fire and taking mine with it, i still have it, it needs the leather restored and i have no clue on how to do it.

Next hobby is Fireworks and i make my own and that has an interesting history, i ordered iodine for an experiment and found out the hard way that it's illegal to import and got raided by the DEA, they then called in the fire department because of the stuff i have for making fireworks, they did leave as what i was doing is not illegal in my state for my own use, still not a fun experience, I want to get into Michigan's pyrotechnic guild but thats on a back burner now.
    I don't know if being on a first name basis with my towns fire marshal is a good or bad thing....

I also into home theature and stereo but not has high end as some of you guys have, what i deal with i think is generally called high end consumer, i don't have the budget for more higher end stuff, lol what i have cost more then my home as is.
    I have a 2001 Honda Forman quad that i get beat up on every so often , i think steering a tank would be easier and have that modded with hella DS HID lights with the ballasts mounted under the front hood if you will, 3200 lumen x 3
    Then there is my 1996 seadoo xp, it's old but more nimble and faster then most things on the water now. I have been thrown off trying to turn one time, the X4 hull is a blast.
    I have a few old engines , one from 1936 that i still mow the lawn with every now and then.
    I have a collection of high voltage stuff including a Tesla coil i built and a 14,400 volt pole pig transformer for a larger coil i have yet to build.
    I service electronics and have all my own equipment for that in a random mess in my living room,

then there are my rocks, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6100124.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	46834 these are light by a shortwave uv light i made, then copper ore, lab equipment, lasers
    and to partially finish are my bearded dragons Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0014.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	46835
    low level RC helicopters, nothing over 120 bucks...yet
    I am into photography as well and did develop my own B/W stuff and have a number of cameras now, I like to hike and do mainly wildlife photography.

I collect firearms as well, always been in my family as well, My Precious is an Arsenal Arms SLR101S AK47 variant with the factory scope bracket. What i like to do with it is use it at the edge of it's practical range, same with my ruger 1022 at 300 meters makes for a nice challenge .
    Being a Nerd has lots of advantages
    I have been attempting to try and learn to program in C and i currently don't quite know where to look for info, i would like free but some stuff that describes the format and syntax, This is in dire need for the Arduino UNO boards i have, i have been using examples and free code but i dont understand whay there are so many spaces in the code, i was trained in analog and know only a bit of Basic but oddly i can program some of the older industrial robots and PLC systems. and started on a battle bot but it's not generaly safe to use, the group of my freinds backed out when they saw the cost of a compliant motor controller, my design used 4
    Mouse over image to zoom
    Have one to sell? Sell now
    Details about KOLLMORGEN SERVO DISC DC MOTOR model U12DT-A used in some heart bypass machines, it was slow to start from the line but had very good high end speed, my idea was to ram the other bot, it would have had a solid steel bar spinning around the bot powered from the same series of motor, all it got to was a running concept chassis, when i had asked my friends to help pay for a better motor controller that was compliant they backed out, so i reused one motor controller with the power supply from a sony 21 amp 12 volt to power large dynamotor, that thing is door stop and can get nearly 900 volts from it. don't know why but i love dynamotors
    The motors came from a 3m/terumo bypass pump Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01881.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	46838
    The pump is what would be used in bypass, i dont have a chassis sadly
    Last edited by Draco; 04-14-2015 at 01:59. Reason: forgot stuff
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Went to the range yesterday.

Last weekend my friend came down to buy a use cop car and we hit the range down here for this first time of the season, differently some fun, i can now see why the military uses the .50 to stop cars, lol
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

good shooting dr evil.
    Crazy to think that the 50 cal can go right thru the engine block. Was that an alloy block?
    Soon I am going to pull the control processor out of my amplifier rack.
    I got a 26 pin plug and panel socket and will have a "drive rack" that has to plug into the "amp rack".
    The idea is that I can have the amp rack behind the speaker stack and I have the controls for the system by the mixer.
    I will post some pics when I am done.

i wish i could hide stuff behind my speakers like that but mine have to be between 3-9 inches from the back wall for the best effects

that long with out firing a rifle? i would correct that, i go to the range so often they know be by name and it's a state run shooting range so they get a lot of people,

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

My original post was way back on page one but, since that entry, I was reminded of the fact that there was a little "burn copies of every DVD you can find" thing going on a few years ago and I've got several binders filled with just over 1,000 movies. Many I've never watched.

The newest thing I find I'm starting to compulse over a little, is the SCUBA thing. Thanks to CarribLEM I now have mask, snorkel, fins, dive recorder, wet suit top w/hood, octopus, socks, and even a lobster kit. I keep looking at a BCD package and when I've been a little bored at work I'm perusing wetsuits on eBay, Amazon and manufacturers sites. I got a couple books.

Now..... keep in mind that probably the next time there will be an opportunity will be if there is another CarribLEM. It's not like there is much in the way of dive opportunities where I live and any vacation time I get has been devoted to LEM's. The gear is INCLUDED in what you pay for diving at CarribLEM. Having gear means you have to GET it to where ever you're diving and, the whole time leading up to Utila was trying to figure out how to shed weight to eliminate any baggage fees. At the end of the third day out of the five I was ready to quit and say they hell with diving and getting certified. Go frickin' figure.

Doesn't seem to matter what it is...... A D D I C T!!! With a capital "A"

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    Went to the range yesterday.

Yeah shooting is a damn expensive hobby.

You could really do with a moderator though (provided not illegal in the US)!

PS Also noticed the comment about drop on the 50BMG. Ditch it and get a .338 Lapua Magnum.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Yeah shooting is a damn expensive hobby.
    Especially when James is out shooting that Barrett .50 cal!

What is it, $5 per shell, James? Something like that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I was reminded of the fact that there was a little "burn copies of every DVD you can find" thing going on a few years ago and I've got several binders filled with just over 1,000 movies. Many I've never watched.
    I have a 4 TB external drive that has over 1200 movies on it. We should compare collections sometime!

Thanks to CarribLEM I now have mask, snorkel, fins, dive recorder, wet suit top w/hood, octopus, socks, and even a lobster kit.
    Hehe... Sorry man; I honestly didn't know it would suck you in like that!

At the end of the third day out of the five I was ready to quit and say they hell with diving and getting certified. Go frickin' figure.
    And then the magic happened and you "got it". Good for the soul, even if it is bad for the wallet!

We could always organize another trip to Utila just to go diving, you know... That way you'd have enough room to bring your gear. Let me noodle on that one a while. (No way I can afford to go right now, but things can always change!)

Doesn't seem to matter what it is...... A D D I C T!!! With a capital "A"
    I can think of lots of other things to be addicted to that would be far worse! I'll take the lasers, scuba stuff, quad-copters, computers, tools, and video games over any number of other problems! (Now if I can just hit the lottery, I'll be all set!)

Adam