Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Scanning Galvo?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wesly View Post
    So it's possible that this is a '70's vintage device?
    Its a 1960s device modeled off a 1949 servo valve actuator. The design has been continually improved.

Go over to the patent server and look at patents by Montagu assigned to General Scanning.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wesly View Post
    So it's possible that this is a '70's vintage device?
    Its a 1960s device modeled off a 1949 servo valve actuator.

Go over to the patent server and look at patents by Montagu assigned to General Scanning.

Caution, Hours of fascinating reading may result.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

[
    Caution, Hours of fascinating reading may result.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Holy flying spot scanners, Batman! I didn't know this Monatagu cat was active in the mechanical television era! Lots of fascinating reading...

Here's how far I have progressed, thanks to all your help! I have one of those $90 Chinese RGB lasers impinging on the scanner, and the Spectra=Physics mirror device whirring away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScanSetUP.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	42465

The bass speaker output of a cheesy Jensen sound system was amplified by a 386 run off a 9v battery. Surprisingly gives the deflection I need!

Here is a picture of the scan. The RGB beam has passed through a low frequency diffraction grating to multiply the fun.

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	42466

The photo above was made as the mirror scanner was slowing down after it was turned off. When it is running, it is way too fast to make oscilloscope-like sweeps, even if I slow it down with a Variac.

Name:	Motor.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	42467

So my next question I need help on is how do I slow this motor down to a few hundred rpm? I was thinking of making a 555 pulsed circuit a la Forrest Mims and have that drive a solid state relay. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for all the help!
    I know what I want and I know how to get it
    I want to destroy passersby! - Sex Pistols

That is beautiful! You're gonna need some kind of SCR circuit to have speed control with that 60HZ AC motor. You could build something from designs found online or go to Harbor Freight Tools and look into a router speed control. A light wall rheostat might work but the motor may get hot or hum loudly. This kind of basic experimentation can yield just as much satisfaction as tinkering with more sophisticated (expensive) systems. Keep working at it and posting results!

I finally found the time to return to this project and finish it. What was needed was a way to slow down the supermarket checkout scanner to match its sweep rate to that of an oscilloscope set up to look at audio frequencies, like 1 millisecond per division, or 10 ms per sweep. Six facets on the scanner add up to 60 ms per rotation, or about 16 rpm, about a factor of 100 times less than the free-running 1550 rpm of the motor!

Being dimly aware that toy train locomotives could be made to crawl by using Pulse Width Modulated DC, I decided to build a circuit to pulse width modulate the AC going to the scanner motor. Doing some research on-line I found that it was discussed, but no details except that it required kHz of modulation. So I built a circuit using a 558 quad timer as a fully adjustable pulse generator following The Forrest Mims Engineer’s Notebook on a Radio Shack Electronics Learning Lab to switch a solid-state relay. Surprisingly it worked!

Here is the demo done in the electronics lab, with a Lionel toy train transformer supplying the sine wave to the vintage galvo scanner. The scanner could take all of the 12 Volts the transformer could deliver!

Name:	LaserOScope.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	43529

The motor does get hot, but I don’t run it that long, just enough for demos. I will include a fan when I get around to building an enclosure for it. Here it is sitting on legs purring merrily along with 20 mW of Compass 215M green with the galvo.

Name:	Web.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	43530

This laser scanner adds to the MWK two-axis scanner take-out from a Video Disc player I’ve had fun with for decades!

Name:	ScanWallWeb.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	43531

Thanks for all the help! This kept me busy and out of trouble!
    I know what I want and I know how to get it
    I want to destroy passersby! - Sex Pistols