Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Question - (not lasers)

Andy, I left the high gain Yagi at Surfleet. Bring the camera to the next LEM and we can cobble something together
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite - Paul Dirac

thanks for the offer but was hoping for a solution before then
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

just been doing some testing on range and the receiver doesn't really pick up signal past the garage door anyway, so is it not best to try extend the range of the transmitter?

im at the back of a 10 metre long garage
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

What wireless equipment is involved in your link?

Camera with transmitter and screen with receiver

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/3767302.htm
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hey Andy. Download a copy of Ekahau Heatmapper to map out the signal from the end of the garage to where you need it terminated (via a walk test). It'll give you a good initial view of where the losses are. From there, you'll be able to position the transmitter to see if this improves performance.

http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/eka...er#!download-3

Also, garages tend to have a lot of metal objects that can cause havoc with signal. We had issues when installing a wireless system in a car parts warehouse due to metal objects everywhere causing really bad Fresnel interference. Ended up installing twice as many high gain antennas in the ceilling.
    Last edited by Pockels; 03-07-2014 at 02:11. Reason: Added URL
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite - Paul Dirac

hehe, motorized spycam ))
    I think a directional antenna with a short piece of cable for camera unit should help you.
    Here two-way link, the transceiver is used in both units
    Camera with transmitter and screen with receiver

Hey Andy. Download a copy of Ekahau Heatmapper to map out the signal from the end of the garage to where you need it terminated (via a walk test). It'll give you a good initial view of where the losses are. From there, you'll be able to position the transmitter to see if this improves performance.

http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/eka...er#!download-3

Also, garages tend to have a lot of metal objects that can cause havoc with signal. We had issues when installing a wireless system in a car parts warehouse due to metal objects everywhere causing really bad Fresnel interference. Ended up installing twice as many high gain antennas in the ceilling.
    This won't work as the device is not using wireless Ethernet (it's DECT based) and would just appear as RF noise in the RF space

Andy, you need to get you signal around the metal door, the easiest way is either extending the antenna as initially suggested or use the passive extending approach

I think a directional antenna with a short piece of cable for camera unit should help you.
    I assume the metal door is where I've drawn it in red?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal door.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	42470
    If so the antenna needs to be extended on the receiver end and not the camera end as the door is shielding the signal as shown
    Last edited by loopee; 03-07-2014 at 04:40.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

back on this again as I really need to get it sorted.

so if I desolder the existing antenna, solder this on then I can buy another antenna and just screw it in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-SO239-...item23390d68ab

sound good?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

sounds like a lot of losses in the connector if you need a panel connector for 2.4Ghz, try this -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-4-Hole-p...item45f7881138