Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: so this new guy wants a rgb

Default so this new guy wants a rgb

complete newb here, first post and everything haha. however i have been frequenting (and i mean pulling all-nighters 3 or more times a week) these forums and even the chat page and i cant begin to say thank you to everything ive learned from you guys. so it goes, i want a rgb projector, semi tight budget of 1500. maybe more, hopefully less (i know, you pay for quality). i am from ny, usa. and originally i was going to just buy china junk just to play with. Thanks to you guys i now will not be doing that as i have learned that safety also plays a huge role for a laserist. i need you to know that i will mostly be doing this in the privacy of my home, but i want the option to get better and use what i purchase in a public setting. this means i am looking for a variance qualifying laser. ideally i am looking for 1w of power. i am also more interested in beam shows, but decent animation would be a plus.

with that being said i have already been turned on to certain companies by users such as swamidog, cnb(?), and picasso(who have also been a huge help in explaining the basics in our live chats.)

so far i have been tossing and turning over indecision between

goldenstarlasers
    eightonlight
    x-laser(american based and US variance)

and i even found this company that i havent read anything about in these forums

unitedlaser.net

so, having finally introduced myself and my needs and wants, i will be loving your feedback.

-GARRETT

Welcome to Photonlexicon! There is talk of another group buy from Omar for the Pluto or new Leo projectors. Watch the forum. Jump on it without hesitation if and when it happens! Hard to beat the quality and bang for the buck.

i have heard good things. but a US variance?

Good point, if you're planning on going into business in public. US X-Laser seems to have a good thing going with the streamline variances, etc. Better figure on double the cost for a varianced projector, though.

just got a pm from a rep from a company called Able. seems strange they wouldnt just comment publically. leading me to question the legitimate of their company. haha i dont want another x-laser.cn email. horrible.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

to the best of my knowledge able lasers is legit and has proper certifications.

Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM1973 View Post
    just got a pm from a rep from a company called Able. seems strange they wouldnt just comment publically. leading me to question the legitimate of their company. haha i dont want another x-laser.cn email. horrible.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hello Sir, this is Crystal from ABLE laer just now sent you a email about FDA documents and catalogue, did you get it?
    ABLE is a legal and trustworthy company!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM1973 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yeping123 View Post
    Hello Sir, this is Crystal from ABLE laer just now sent you a email about FDA documents and catalogue, did you get it?
    ABLE is a legal and trustworthy company!!!
    awesome! emailed back

Be careful where you buy from if you look towards X-Laser.

There are 2 X-Lasers - the US company with variances, and an unrelated Chinese company who I understand are without but who's branding looks similar. Getting the Chinese one would be a mistake if you need to be varianced.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Welcome to PL. It's a wild ride. Ok, the best choice you can make is X-Laser. You're going to pay a little more but, in the end, it's your best choice.

Now, that being said, in second place for varianced projectors sounds like Able. There is a whole thread devoted to someone's research and subsequent purchase and review of one of their units.

There are some other manufacturers of US varianced projectors but, they're simply far too expensive in general, for the home basement hobbyist to warrant owning. Until you take them out...

Now... moving on to the ones not legal for use in the US for public compensated display would be Lightspace and yes, there sounds like a possible Pluto group buy may occur again. Probably one of the nicest, non-USA varianced projector deals for the money going. And next, based on members reviews would be Goldenstar. The big difference between Lightspace and Goldenstar from what I've seen is their overall product line and quality of projector. In my opinion, Lightspace makes a better quality projector. That's not to say Goldenstar is bad... just not as good but, they will customize a little more for you than Lightspace. Plus Goldenstar carries a lot more of the individual parts that the home builder needs versus Lightspace.

I'm reposting something I typed in another thread for another new person:

Welcome to PL. Kiss ANY hope of financial solvency goodbye and be prepared for the ride of your life. Seriously. This is NOT an inexpensive endeavour. If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent my money going to every scheduled LEM (Laser Enthusiest Meeting) around the world that they hold on here and enjoyed the "fix" of the pretty lights on someone elses dime. And have spent time with a LOT of facinating, funny and intelligent people in the process.

Minimal kidding aside, the most important thing you can do before removing the wallet from your back pocket is research, research, research. Talk to people, read, and try to go see some gear before plunging into the abyss. Things you buy for $1,000 today will be worth $200 a year from now and you need to be able to accept that.

You are in the USA so, as had been mentioned, things are a little different here than the rest of the "free world". (Wait a minute... wasn't that supposed to be US???) Get information on the rules and regulations governing the use of lasers as well. If it's something you want to pursue for public performance than you're going to get into things like "variances" and legal equipment. As has been mentioned, X-Laser is going to be tops on your list to begin looking at. Check out their web site. Watch their videos. There are not a plethora of sources for which you seek. Yes, there are other companies that build and sell legal varianced equipment and can help you along the way (such as dsli_jon above) or CT Lasers and some others (many with stratosphere pricing) but, X-Laser has really perfected things for the "just getting into the hobby" individuals, and can continue to help with more sophisticated things as you grow. (Be sure you're looking at X-Laser USA in Laurel, MD and not X-Laser in China - there is NO relation.)

I'll qualify the above by saying I don't work for X-Laser and don't own any X-Laser gear... yet. (I did things perhaps the wrong way.) But, I know the people (they're members on the forum). I've been to their operation and they too have visted my facility. They're worth a look and you won't go "wrong".

There are an awful lot of people here who are on the opposite spectrum who dabble in the hobby for their own enjoyment in the privacy of their own home. They like to build their own toys, tear them down and re-build them again. They'll measure and test and measure and test to find the near perfect piece of glass or, design the most efficient circuit. They like creating things with CNC machines, blobs of solder, and old video game equipment so they can build a better, more satisfying mousetrap. I don't know if you're handy with tools or electronics but there is an awful lot of that here that goes on as well. And for that, the whole variance thing doesn't really apply. It really boils down to your aspirations.

Anyway... welcome aboard. It's a wild ride!

You have been sufficiently warned.