Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMX light questions

Norty. Its not really that big. Wollongong it self has about 200,000 people and the area/region has around 500,000. When you look at it yea there has been a few good bike riders and not just road bikes. Robbie Maddison is from Wollongong (dapto), Jay marmont

Zorn,

A DMX splitter is used to create several individual DMX chains, each capable of connecting to 32 fixtures. They also serve to protect your DMX console/interface as they isolate the output signal from the fixtures. It is probably over kill if you only have a few fixtures.

Norty is spot on, 32 fixtures. You can run more, far more in fact depending on what fixtures you are using as quite a few higher end products now are capable of amplifying the output, more shocking is the amount of Chinese 'copies' are actually better specced than 'western examples ' I've actually invested heavily this year in one supplier and the equipment standard is a world apart from years gone. Some truly Original ideas and designs.
    Cable quality is also a factor with dmx as loss down cheap 'microphone ' xlr cables quality can be crap.
    Van Damme or Klotz - expensive but why give yourself headaches?
    lighting the way since 89

Van Damme or Klotz - expensive but why give yourself headaches?
    If you're in the UK it is worth checking out the 'Pro Signal' cables from CPC. They (CPC) have been quite involved in getting the spec right for the cables,and they hit a nice point between budget and reliability. Mysefl and a number of users have been using them some years and with very few if any failures, and they come in a lot cheaper than 'industry' alternatives. Handy if you're actually paying for them yourself.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    Zorn,

A DMX splitter is used to create several individual DMX chains, each capable of connecting to 32 fixtures. They also serve to protect your DMX console/interface as they isolate the output signal from the fixtures. It is probably over kill if you only have a few fixtures.
    Enttec Pro MK 2 does this as well according to the specs.

It's a bit more expensive than the straight Pro but supports 2 Universes (so I presume for most no splitter required), has a 6x faster cpu and has 1500V isolation separating each DMX port and the PC from the fixtures.

http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Pro...ow=description

I've looked at this a few times myself, mainly because I'm interested in controlling a single strobe from one, and whilst it may sound like overkill for a single light, we all know about strobe voltages.

Hello,

I have an Enttec Pro MK 2 and it works great! I use it for both transmit and receive. I have not had a need to use the second universe yet.

I think it is worth the extra cost.

ED

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    ... supports 2 Universes (so I presume for most no splitter required)...
    Al, 2 universe's means 2x 512 channels of DMX data. Or to put it another way, twice as much as the original PRO. The quoted protection will probably only stop bad things happening to your USB port... and/or the other DMX line...

You still usually need a buffer every 16 to 20 fixtures or so, or over very long cable runs to clean/boost the data signal... or to make cable runs easier on your rig.

I usually have a stack of buffers by the stage distro/dimmer area. Each takes the DMX in directly from the desk at FOH via a long multi or Wireless DMX system, depending on the setup.

Then I send a DMX line to each truss/stage area/PA tower or whatever. Also, I often keep fixtures I know can be temperamental on their own DMX line so if they they don't upset everything else on that DMX line.

Hope that clears things up.
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Also, I often keep fixtures I know can be temperamental on their own DMX line so if they they don't upset everything else on that DMX line.
    Yep, the Stairville SF1500 fogger I use (and I think Al had one) is one of 'those' fixtures.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Al, 2 universe's means 2x 512 channels of DMX data. Or to put it another way, twice as much as the original PRO. The quoted protection will probably only stop bad things happening to your USB port... and/or the other DMX line...

You still usually need a buffer every 16 to 20 fixtures or so, or over very long cable runs to clean/boost the data signal... or to make cable runs easier on your rig.

I usually have a stack of buffers by the stage distro/dimmer area. Each takes the DMX in directly from the desk at FOH via a long multi or Wireless DMX system, depending on the setup.

Then I send a DMX line to each truss/stage area/PA tower or whatever. Also, I often keep fixtures I know can be temperamental on their own DMX line so if they they don't upset everything else on that DMX line.

Hope that clears things up.
    OK thanks. So I take it you can't use 1 Universe for each bank of fixtures then? I was thinking 16 fixtures on each universe rather than 32 on one universe with a splitter. I know very little of DMX beyond how to address a fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Yep, the Stairville SF1500 fogger I use (and I think Al had one) is one of 'those' fixtures.
    I had one but I sent mine back for several reasons -I had remote problems, I wasn't impressed with the build quality and it didn't fog continuously as promised but still needed some warm up time between foggings (at least on high flow rates). Maybe I was just unlucky, but I got a refund so it all ended well. I finished up with the Unique 2 and have never looked back. Very nice machine and feels quality.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    OK thanks. So I take it you can't use 1 Universe for each bank of fixtures then? I was thinking 16 fixtures on each universe rather than 32 on one universe with a splitter. I know very little of DMX beyond how to address a fixture.

If you have 2 universes available there is no reason why you couldn't split up the fixtures between them. How ever, this is different than using a splitter which just repeats the signal from 1 universe. In both instances you have the advantage of more than 1 DMX chain, which simplifies trouble shooting in the event that something does not work.