Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Echo Layla Question

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Two actually.... but, who's counting.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 03-17-2014 at 08:35.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

For ADAT reclamation, , I borrow a pro setup using a MOTU with a PCI card that drives Lightpipe in and out of a ADAT as the front end. The issue is the expensive software. The editing program involved is well out of the range of most PLers, think more expensive then "Beyond Pro" in cost.

Black Face Adat works nicely using Lightpipe even when its tape is not spinning.

The amazing thing is due to the way MOTU resamples, we can fast forward through laser images like it was a VCR, you can actually watch the show zoom by.(Yes, on the galvos!)

I have to drive 525 miles to use it, or ship the tape however. I do have a Gina here for recording the console.

The MOTU on a PC designed from the ground up for audio processing is lightyears ahead of the Layla. The way the MOTU 828 resamples and software filters the show, it looks much, much, better then a Layla.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 03-17-2014 at 05:02.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hey Steve,

What software is used with the 828?? Just curious...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I have to drive 525 miles to use it, or ship the tape however. I do have a Gina here for recording the console.
    So are you saying the Echo Gina can be modified to record DC?? I thought those were just 2 channels in and 8 channels out.

The MOTU on a PC designed from the ground up for audio processing is lightyears ahead of the Layla. The way the MOTU 828 resamples and software filters the show, it looks much, much, better then a Layla.
    Is this an assumption or have you done a side by side comparison? With the modification that I perform on the Layla the output is fantastic. When compared, side by side at SELEM, with a sound card DAC the difference between the two was substantial.

Regarding software, I have a massive pile of adat tapes here and used an XT-20 to light pipe them into a Layla and record them with Audacity. In Audacity I can easily make changes to blanking timing, clean up the audio, remove imperfections that I find all the way down to the sample point. Someone even wrote a bit of code to manipulate DC offset of a signal within Audacity.

Hey David -

You might want to check out the boards offered by "Expert Sleepers" in the UK.
    Their specialty is Eurorack-format analog synth interface modules for generating / converting control voltage signals between computers and analog synth hardware.
    They have boards that support both optical and copper connections.

Since lasers & synths use similar analog signals -
    Might find something that would work for your latest DZ science lab project!

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Hey David -

You might want to check out the boards offered by "Expert Sleepers" in the UK.
    That might be just the thing I'm after, thanks Randy! Just sent them an email.

No problem -
    it will be cool to see what you come up with!

Related question ~
    Beyond your current project, are you planning on maintaining any type of external control voltage connectivity for your console?

If so, I have some analog keyboard gear I could bring to a future meet that might offer some interesting analog control possibilities.
    I have a Moog Little Phatty synthesizer with the CV out mod (analog output on the gate, volume, pitch, filter, and modulation bus), a Moog CP-251 CV control processor, and a Doepfer Dark Time analog sequencer.

All work with the Moog-standard 0-5V analog control signal, can use expression pedals as additional controllers, and can sync externally via CV or MIDI.

Might make for some interesting "playing" possibilites if interfaced with your analog console...

PM or e-mail if you want to discuss!

Randy

Note to self -
    I really do not need to think about ordering an analog laser console...
    I do not need to think about ordering an analog laser console...
    I need to think about ordering an analog laser console...

Ahh, crap...
    Last edited by Stuka; 03-18-2014 at 08:32.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Note to self -
    I really do not need to think about ordering an analog laser console...
    I do not need to think about ordering an analog laser console...
    I need to think about ordering an analog laser console...

Ahh, crap...
    Yes... yes... you do.

Ok so...to recap.

In theory, if Mark and I want to try recording some of the output from the Z-5 to ultimately land on either an HD24 or perhaps a Layla/computer scenario, I should...

Go Z-5 out to the "handy-dandy-all-laserists-must-own-one DZ splitter". Send one channel to the projector so we can see what we're doing. Send the other to the ADAT, either through a cable modified from a DB25 to the ELCO "or" DB25 to 1/4" TRS plugs. Then, get a TOSLINK cable to go "Digital out" channels 1-8 from the ADAT to the "Digital in" channels 1-8 on the HD24. Put the ADAT into a record (if I have a tape) or monitor mode and then hit record with the HD24. Sound right? Or am I missing something? It also sounds like a more convenient solution is going ADAT to Layla using a TOSLINK cable and recording it to the PC hard drive with Audacity, as a better alternative than the HD24.

I've not messed with any of this until last week when we first tried it so... kinda new to this old skool stuff.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 03-19-2014 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Ok so...to recap.

In theory, if Mark and I want to try recording some of the output from the Z-5 to ultimately land on either an HD24 or perhaps a Layla/computer scenario, I should...

Go Z-5 out to the "handy-dandy-all-laserists-must-own-one DZ splitter". Send once channel to the projector so we can see what we're doing. Send the other to the ADAT, either through a cable modified from a DB25 to the ELCO "or" DB25 to 1/4" TRS plugs. Then, get a TOSLINK cable to go "Digital out" channels 1-8 from the ADAT to the "Digital in" channels 1-8 on the HD24. Put the ADAT into a record (if I have a tape) or monitor mode and then hit record with the HD24. Sound right? Or am I missing something? It also sounds like a more convenient solution is going ADAT to Layla using a TOSLINK cable and recording it to the PC hard drive with Audacity, as a better alternative than the HD24.

I've not messed with any of this until last week when we first tried it so... kinda new to this old skool stuff.
    Hang in there, Brad! I have my top man working on the issue. I'm glad you brought up splitter idea. If this new design works I'll be sure to incorporate an ILDA out channel so you can see what's being driven down the light pipe. The solution will likely be about $150 to $200.