Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 years for laserpointer at heliocopter

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post

That is TERRIBLE!! Personally, I think raping a 3 year old is worse than shining a laser pointer at a helicopter, but who am I?

May be they should give the guy a laser pointer and a weekend of free camping privileges in New Mexico...
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Ugh... Only in Delaware.. These Dup nuts and relatives are treated as royalty... This doesn't surprise me at all... Smdh

I'd like to hear about any aircraft of any type that needed to take action because of a laser strike, like maybe a go-around during landing or even a change in direction to avoid being lased. Remember the video of the Egyptian helicopter painted with lasers from underneath?

I come from an aviation family. We went to Oshkosh every year, and many from my family still do. My dad's about the oldest member of AOPA who flew in the '30s. I'll NEVER support tracking aircraft of any kind with lasers, but this hysteria about it is absolutely ridiculous, and all the pilots in my family agree. It plays on the public's total ignorance of science and technology related topics and American's fear of their own shadows, and promotes the security theater that bush put in place as his knee-jerk bureaucratic reaction to what happened on 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    this hysteria about it is absolutely ridiculous, and all the pilots in my family agree. It plays on the public's total ignorance of science and technology related topics and American's fear of their own shadows, and promotes the security theater
    I would call it Kabuki theater, but I agree 100%.

You want to bring down an airliner? You don't use a pointer, you use a laserscope with the KTP removed so your beam is invisible. *THAT* is what we should be afraid of - not clueless morons with hot pointers. God help us if Laserman 532 ever goes off the deep end! That guy knows the secret to 60+ watts of green out of a Cobra YAG... Just think about how much 1064 it could produce! (Just kidding Pat, please don't take me seriously here... I might have to swear off flying otherwise!)

Don't get me wrong; like you I abhor the idea of anyone shining a laser at an aircraft, and I support reasonable penalties for it, but 14 years for some asshat with a pointer is draconian and utterly unacceptable. Now, if you catch someone at the end of a runway with a converted laserscope mounted in a van with telescopic optics, no KTP, and an infra-red aiming system, THEN I could get behind a multi-year jail term, since murder/terrorism was clearly on their mind.

Adam

hehe no offense Buffo - my wife already thinks I have gone off the deep end. Im too lazy to bring the Cobra to Portland for a lem...less on go through all that trouble.

I bet if you went on the street and asked 100 people... "did you hear about that guy that got 14 years for pointing a laser at a aircraft?" 120 people would respond with "no".

Its just stupid lawmakers making stupid laws - how government ever continues to operate with the levels of ignorance and incompetence truly amazes me. Oh well, those who love controllers are controlled slaves and LOVE IT!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    Pat B on alt.lasers

Visit My Site.....
    I visited your site.
    AVG went Bonkers !!
    Sort it out , Son !!

sorry bro...I actually told my guy to take it down...im done with it. What I need to do is fix my signature

Even I aint got no time FO that!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

ok lets take a toll. How many of you have fired a laser into the air without a permit? I include using a pointer for a guide on a telescope. So if some kid takes his meade telescope out and accidentally hits a plane his life is ruined? There has to be a happy medium here.

How many of you have tried to use your scanner to write on a cloud or on the side of a blimp.....