Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 8th annual South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting, Aug 14-17 2014. Sign up now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    It's probably getting to be time to start discussing anything people want to see/do at SELEM this year. One of the most upsetting things I missed last year was regarding setting up color pallettes and also the DZ color board. I'd like to see an A/B comparison of a projector that hasn't had a color pallet set up and then see the results after one has been "trained" so I know what to look for and what's trying to be acheived. Personally, I think the Pluto's could all benefit from some small adjustments as some shades just get washed out by white.

Another thing I mentioned to DZ about earlier this evening is, we don't really have a place to run strictly beam shows anymore. For the past two years, the auditorium has been turned over to mainly graphic content and abstracts with a little live beam work added in and ClubSELEM is just a sort of unorganized free for all. The beam show has fallen a bit by the wayside. I suggested maybe we split the content in the auditorium and block out some time for strictly beam shows and other time for graphic shows.

Like: "X" day 2-4 pm is Nine Inch Nails and Metallica, then 4-6 pm is LD2000 beam classics, then 6-8 pm could be taking turns with the Z-5 and then 8-10 pm is Floyd or something. Then perhaps the next day is 11am-1pm Quickshow beam shows, 1-3pm various Dunn shows, 3-5pm Fiesta and Moncha beam shows, 5-7pm - Aerosmith and Rush. 7-9pm Swami's and other LSX shows. 9-11pm - LD2000 beam shows. Something like that... so some choreographed beam shows are mixed in.
    Some ideas....

Seems like the auditorium shows have been a bit of a flop. There usually aren't too many people in there watching them. I think the reason might be that, for the most part, the shows are uninteresting or after about 10 minutes it is just a bunch of the same. I think having blocks of times like Brad suggested is fine but I think they should be used as filler instead of the main attractions. I would REALLY like to have at least one 1hr segment each day around 8pm or so that is meant to be a SELEM "highlight" where some hand picked shows are ran. Make it a semi-mandatory thing and maybe give out a couple door prizes to get people to show up. Maybe one day play the 10 best shows (and please figure out a way not to pick the same old shows that we have all seen before) that blow people away. Maybe another day have a user submitted show segment... but let's be realistic and filter out shows that people made in 2 hrs that suck. Reserve those shows for "user show time". As far as how to pick the best shows goes, create a committee or open the floor for suggestions. Plenty of time between now and then to pick 10 or 15 shows that would entertain everyone.

And for the love of god, block the side door while it is going on. It is so annoying when someone decides to open the door and stand there while their eyes adjust or while they figure out if their friend is in there or if they like what show is playing.

By "user show time" that I mentioned above, have some times set aside where people can run their shows on the screen. But, don't do that during primetime unless they have been previewed and deemed "awesome". There is always the chance to show your shows at SELEM but it's not apparent when. And, I know some people have really wanted to only to sit waiting and waiting and then running out of time and having to leave.

If anyone is going to be driving through the Richmond area on there way down to selem and has room for one more PM me please.
    Lasers
    •405nm violet(blue-ray) laser-eBay I fixed it ya
    •473nm 10mW LSR473NL series blue laser module www.lasever.com review
    •488nm 5mW Novalux Protera DPSS Laboratory Unit
    •532nm 5mW green laser www.elitelasers.com
    •650nm 5mW red

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Some ideas....

Seems like the auditorium shows have been a bit of a flop.

To add fuel to the fire and further illustrate the futility of trying to make the event all things to all people, the auditorium shows are my favorite part short of talking with people. I spend the rest of my year dealing with every other aspect of laser projectors, but I'm far from being an artist and the chance to see these shows in a decent scale once a year is a big thing for me. I loved having the schedule pretty well nailed down last year so i could make it a priority to see the shows I cared about.

But I'm not looking to shit in anyone else's cereal, so whatever Adam goes with I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    the auditorium shows are my favorite part short of talking with people.

I loved having the schedule pretty well nailed down last year so i could make it a priority to see the shows I cared about.
    I'll echo this and add that it would be nice to mix in more beam shows and abstracts into the mix. The planetarium shows are enjoyable and include some great content, but the auditorium doesn't have the same impact as a planetarium. Swamidog and I did an LSX mix of beamshows and his lovely abstract work last year on Saturday night. Additional shows from both "old" and "new" talent followed. It appeared to go over well with the majority of the attendees. I, for one, would like to repeat this approach at least one evening.

Also to further Brad's comments regarding beam shows, the auditorium is a unique space with 6+ fairly well matched projectors that few of us could replicate individually at our leisure (exceptions include Brad and a few others . . ). I would like to see more done with these projectors in addition to the lovely graphics and abstracts that come out from the DZ/RGB-Gas equipment.

One final thought - I would really like to know when content being played was created by a SELEM attendee. Content (especially good content) seems to be hard to come by these days and I'd like to be able to applaud an attendee's work instead of assuming it was created by company X back in the 1980's.

Just my $0.02 . .

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

What would really be cool (as I can tell you from experience) is the opposite of what we often do. Frequently it's canned graphics/abstract and live beams. Going in a totally different direction, play some good canned beam shows and run the abstracts live with the Z-5. Not to put him on the spot but, stick ImageLight in front of that thing and magic happens. Cue up an hour of the best of LD2000 beams and then unleash Mark to do his 'thang with the Z-5 on the screen and we've got artistic eyegasms of the very best kind.

Squeezing in right before the deadline - Jeff (Jeffreythe00 on LPF) and I will be there

I will be bringing a Coherent Innova 90 and some air cooled ions.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster View Post
    Squeezing in right before the deadline - Jeff (Jeffreythe00 on LPF) and I will be there

I will be bringing a Coherent Innova 90 and some air cooled ions.
    I wondered when you would pop in on this.

Are you bringing the Ions to show, repair or sell?

Smile SELEM is really shaping up nicely this year!

It's probably getting to be time to start discussing anything people want to see/do at SELEM this year.
    You read my mind, Brad! I'm going to start another thread for exactly this. Been talking with DZ about it all week.

One of the most upsetting things I missed last year was regarding setting up color pallettes and also the DZ color board. I'd like to see an A/B comparison of a projector that hasn't had a color pallet set up and then see the results after one has been "trained" so I know what to look for and what's trying to be acheived.
    We will do this again this year, on the stage behind the curtain, and we will post times, I promise!

we don't really have a place to run strictly beam shows anymore.
    That is something we want to change. I like the idea of having "dedicated beam-show time" in the auditorium. We will work that into the schedule this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I would REALLY like to have at least one 1hr segment each day around 8pm or so that is meant to be a SELEM "highlight" where some hand picked shows are ran.
    Very good suggestion, Gary! I like it. I will speak with DZ about adding this to the schedule.

And for the love of god, block the side door while it is going on. It is so annoying when someone decides to open the door and stand there while their eyes adjust or while they figure out if their friend is in there or if they like what show is playing.
    Yes - a thousand times yes! I think we need to post a sign on that door telling people to go around to the main entrance back by the sound booth if they want to enter. Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    the chance to see these shows in a decent scale once a year is a big thing for me. I loved having the schedule pretty well nailed down last year so i could make it a priority to see the shows I cared about.
    I think having a more rigid time schedule will allow us to run some of these epic graphics shows on the large screen while still leaving time for beams and other cool stuff. But I agree that it's important to know WHEN the show you want to see will be playing. This is a recurring problem for us, but DZ has some good ideas for this year that should help a lot. (Crosses fingers)

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Swamidog and I did an LSX mix of beamshows and his lovely abstract work last year on Saturday night. Additional shows from both "old" and "new" talent followed. It appeared to go over well with the majority of the attendees. I, for one, would like to repeat this approach at least one evening.
    Please speak with DZ about blocking out some time on the schedule to do this. Maybe Thursday evening? Best to get your requests in early!

play some good canned beam shows and run the abstracts live with the Z-5. Not to put him on the spot but, stick ImageLight in front of that thing and magic happens. Cue up an hour of the best of LD2000 beams and then unleash Mark to do his 'thang with the Z-5 on the screen and we've got artistic eyegasms of the very best kind.
    I *TOTALLY* agree with this. Marc is a GOD when it comes to the Z-5. Hell, even Ash McFadden said that Marc was better at it that he was, and Ash invented the damned thing! We need to have some "old-school abstract time" in the auditorium schedule this year.

I'll start another thread to discuss volunteers and so on, but I can say with authority right now that DZ will be handling the scheduling of things in the Auditorium this year. If you want to offer your assistance, I'm sure he would appreciate it. And if you have content you'd like to run, please contact him now (might be best to do via PM) so you can get your stuff on the schedule.

Finally, a reminder to everyone: THE REGISTRATION PRICE GOES UP TO $100 ON JULY 1ST. So if you haven't registered yet, do it this weekend (or on Monday at the latest) and save yourself a little money.

Adam

PS: Thanks to everyone who has offered up their suggestions in this thread. These are the sorts of things I *NEED* to hear. I can't make the event better if I don't know what we are doing wrong, so please, PLEASE, if you have any ideas for improvements, POST THEM HERE. This event gets better each year, but only because people suggest new things to try.

I also like the idea of the "live" show with the abstracts. I was actually thinking of something else along that line but it would be almost impossible to pull off due to logistics. Basically a laser jam session. I guess that is what more or less happens in Club SELEM but I think it might be more fun to do it on the big screen with everyone having a small area to work with. But, of course, getting everyone's laser projectors into the auditorium and pointed at the screen seems impossible. I think it could be kind of funny and interesting... since you would see a bunch of square areas that independently change to the music. Maybe one day when laser projectors shrink down to the size of a laptop and they can be controlled with your iPhone that will be a possibility.

I'll be making it again this year! Can't wait!