Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 8th annual South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting, Aug 14-17 2014. Sign up now!

Tiff and I made it back from SELEM in 18.5 hours driving straight through. Phew, that was a haul. After a day of recuperation I'm feeling great and wishing the next LEM was just around the corner.

Big shout out to everyone involved in making this event a reality year after year! I liked the extra day and think the length was perfect.

Great job on the public show in Newton, I heard only very positive things from those in attendance. I know it was a HUGE effort and I thank all those involved.

Tiff got tons of pics and I'm sure in the coming days I'll have some links for ya'll to check out.

Until next year!

Wow.. ok, I finally have some time to sit down and share my thoughts about SELEM-2014!

When I visited Brad at Mt. Lasermore in June, he talked about SELEM being a "life changing event". Wow, he wasn't kidding! I had such a great time, and it really lived up to the expectation that Brad had set. It was everything I thought it would be, and much more, of course.

But what struck me the most was how everyone was so willing to take time to stop what they were doing to talk with me (a real noob), about pretty much *anything*. And after the first 12 hours or so, I felt like I've known all you guys for years. YEARS! Especially Lazerjock, Frank, SaltyRobot, swamidog, Ed, DavidK and a few other of you I can't seem to recall your names or handles (sorry!). It's all kind of a blur. It was also great to have some good chats with Bill Benner, to get some great stories of the history of the industry (oh, yeah, and thanks Bill for the Quickshow/FB3 door prize!!!)

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to write next, and it's a flood of experiences from the weekend, all really amazing. And the best parts were *not* the lasers, the best parts were just sitting around chatting with everyone about everything (but usually laser related).

Oh, actually, the best part just might have been those espresso cookies. Thank you, Newlin.

But I want to give the biggest thanks to Brad and Adam. Brad -- I think you're an alien -- no single human could possibly do everything you do, and still be as friendly and helpful and always willing to talk about whatever. And Adam -- who I think I spent the most time with, despite the fact that he still had the show to manage and run! Oh, yeah, and thanks for the two RGB projectors I bought.

Brad took both of the projectors back with him, so I'll go get them from him next week, and then next weekend, my friends who are having a pool party already asked me to bring the lasers, we've dubbed it their "Laser Day Weekend" party. Adam -- can you send me the variances for your two lasers?

I can not wait until SELEM-2015!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I've not actually done my post SELEM thank you post and impressions but, I too have a lot of thank you's. First and foremost to Adam... for basically everything. I'm not entirely sure how this relative newbie to lasers just four years ago, got to the point of "acceptance" into the club and became viewed as such an important component of SELEM but, I know you have had a major part in that growth. Truth be told, it's always a bit humbling since so many of you know SO much more about lasers, electronics, and science stuff than I'll ever be able to retain.

Second is a major thank you to DZ who has always, for whatever reason, unselfishly given his time and talents to fix and diagnose things and put up with my sheepish approach with some broken piece of electronic gizmo. Of course also for his "vision" and the partnering with ekeefe on some amazing products. As long as I keep getting a shot at serial number 0001, I'm a happy guy.

There is a danger in listing names as there is always the potential for someone to be forgotten but, ImageLight for introducing me into this band of amazing people and everything he's done behind the scenes. Including something as simple as texting me late Monday afternoon and offering to come over and help unload the van when I got home.

Adam Raugh and X-Laser for the food and, for putting up with me as well. I WILL own an X-Laser product as well one of these days.

I'll echo the thanks to Newlin for the cookies. (I'll be in touch about the Kvant soon.)

Bill Benner for even knowing I exist. I'm still always in awe that someone that important to the laser business is that laid back and willing to take the time that he does to give such personal attention to people. I drink the Kool-Aid.

One person that just came to mind that is rarely mentioned in this thread and is such an important part of SELEM is witcher88. The man goes out of his way to do every thankless job in such a quiet an unassuming way it's easy to overlook but, his presence would be sorely missed if he wasn't there. From taping up the windows in ClubSELEM to daily emptying of trash and happily offering to lug lots of gear and help pack and unpack vehicles, he deserves a lot of credit for this event happening as well. Thank you Bill... you rock!

Steve Roberts for again, knowing I actually exist. Rick for letting me study his RGB Mobolaser and for the gear he brought. You've given me more than you know in seeing how you've designed a system and utilized your bounce mirrors. (I'll be in touch about the Melles.) David Kumpula for kind words and designing a schedule that helped keep us on point. Aaron... for being Aaron. Len for "solving LEM problems" and expecially for corralling kids at the public show in Newton. Your interaction with them brought a smile to a number of our faces that you probably didn't even know. Doc John for the goodies - I can't wait to explore the Poly20. Chris for nametags, waivers and dropping whatever he was doing to check people in. (uh...particularly that hot mom!) Randy for doing what it took to make it there in the first place. Dude... don't ever make us sweat like that again. Frank... like Aaron, for just being... Frank. Glad you know how to run those Mobos as a pair. They were huge for the Newton show. And Jeff, for all the infrastructure.

Four days was perfect but it's interesting to see just how many more comments people are making about suffering from exhaustion. I'm not certain we could do five since none of us are getting younger. It was also interesting for me to see a noticable divide between the "old guard" and several of the "young upstarts". At one point one evening, I slipped into the back of ClubSELEM and watched as AnthonyGarcia, totally alone... stood dancing at the controls of a line array of lasers, tapping and twisting at an APC40, making magic along with whatever he was listening to, and totally immersed in what he was doing. It was fun to watch and, I think the future is in good hands.

I appreciate all the personal thank you's dotted throughout the thread and will likely continue to drag way more stuff than I should 500 miles south, to help make these events as great as they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I've not actually done my post SELEM thank you post and impressions but, I too have a lot of thank you's. First and foremost to Adam... for basically everything. I'm not entirely sure how this relative newbie to lasers just four years ago, got to the point of "acceptance" into the club and became viewed as such an important component of SELEM but, I know you have had a major part in that growth. Truth be told, it's always a bit humbling since so many of you know SO much more about lasers, electronics, and science stuff than I'll ever be able to retain.

Second is a major thank you to DZ who has always, for whatever reason, unselfishly given his time and talents to fix and diagnose things and put up with my sheepish approach with some broken piece of electronic gizmo. Of course also for his "vision" and the partnering with ekeefe on some amazing products. As long as I keep getting a shot at serial number 0001, I'm a happy guy.

There is a danger in listing names as there is always the potential for someone to be forgotten but, ImageLight for introducing me into this band of amazing people and everything he's done behind the scenes. Including something as simple as texting me late Monday afternoon and offering to come over and help unload the van when I got home.

Adam Raugh and X-Laser for the food and, for putting up with me as well. I WILL own an X-Laser product as well one of these days.

I'll echo the thanks to Newlin for the cookies. (I'll be in touch about the Kvant soon.)

Bill Benner for even knowing I exist. I'm still always in awe that someone that important to the laser business is that laid back and willing to take the time that he does to give such personal attention to people. I drink the Kool-Aid.

One person that just came to mind that is rarely mentioned in this thread and is such an important part of SELEM is witcher88. The man goes out of his way to do every thankless job in such a quiet an unassuming way it's easy to overlook but, his presence would be sorely missed if he wasn't there. From taping up the windows in ClubSELEM to daily emptying of trash and happily offering to lug lots of gear and help pack and unpack vehicles, he deserves a lot of credit for this event happening as well. Thank you Bill... you rock!

Steve Roberts for again, knowing I actually exist. Rick for letting me study his RGB Mobolaser and for the gear he brought. You've given me more than you know in seeing how you've designed a system and utilized your bounce mirrors. (I'll be in touch about the Melles.) David Kumpula for kind words and designing a schedule that helped keep us on point. Aaron... for being Aaron. Len for "solving LEM problems" and expecially for corralling kids at the public show in Newton. Your interaction with them brought a smile to a number of our faces that you probably didn't even know. Doc John for the goodies - I can't wait to explore the Poly20. Chris for nametags, waivers and dropping whatever he was doing to check people in. (uh...particularly that hot mom!) Randy for doing what it took to make it there in the first place. Dude... don't ever make us sweat like that again. Frank... like Aaron, for just being... Frank. Glad you know how to run those Mobos as a pair. They were huge for the Newton show. And Jeff, for all the infrastructure.

Four days was perfect but it's interesting to see just how many more comments people are making about suffering from exhaustion. I'm not certain we could do five since none of us are getting younger. It was also interesting for me to see a noticable divide between the "old guard" and several of the "young upstarts". At one point one evening, I slipped into the back of ClubSELEM and watched as AnthonyGarcia, totally alone... stood dancing at the controls of a line array of lasers, tapping and twisting at an APC40, making magic along with whatever he was listening to, and totally immersed in what he was doing. It was fun to watch and, I think the future is in good hands.

I appreciate all the personal thank you's dotted throughout the thread and will likely continue to drag way more stuff than I should 500 miles south, to help make these events as great as they can be.
    Wow!

What he said.

Couldn't have said it better.

Thanks for drawing attention to this unsung hero of SELEM, Brad.

Bill, please allow me to add my sincere thanks for all that you do!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Here's to Bill!

At one point one evening, I slipped into the back of ClubSELEM and watched as AnthonyGarcia, totally alone... stood dancing at the controls of a line array of lasers, tapping and twisting at an APC40, making magic along with whatever he was listening to, and totally immersed in what he was doing. It was fun to watch and, I think the future is in good hands.*
    Awe :') reading this truly made my day. Now that I have a projector of my own, as well as inspiration and motivation from you and everyone else at SELEM, I have plans to impress on each part of the laser show spectrum.

Some pictures I took during the event:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ethano...7646335352547/

Video from show in Newton (Madonna / Music)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFI8indIk8

Video from show in Newton (Owl City? Fireflies)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMynTvJ1QR0

Both videos should go 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Some pictures I took during the event:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ethano...7646335352547/

Video from show in Newton (Madonna / Music)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFI8indIk8

Video from show in Newton (Owl City? Fireflies)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMynTvJ1QR0

Both videos should go 1080p.
    Photos look awesome! Thanks for posting!

Videos are currently private.

Thanks!

Gaaah! Okay, fixed public setting and verified!