Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "hello" and a few questions!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    There were some particulars in the welding that buffo learned and if he sees this, will probably chime in. My step-son's father has a welding company and I'm going to probably get some made in the near future as well.
    My stand tops were made from plate aluminum to save on weight. If you use steel, then you don't need to worry about the following.

But if you plan to use aluminum, heat control is absolutely crucial. Aluminum will warp when it gets hot, and TIG or MIG welding generates a lot of heat. So in order to prevent the top plate from warping, you only want to weld the support gussets and center mounting pole in spots, rather than running a continuous bead. If you weld a continuous bead, the top plate will definitely warp and it will be useless. (I ended up having to replace one of the early prototypes of these stand tops for exactly this reason.)

It helps a lot if you can have the plate firmly clamped in place before you start welding, but even so, if the temperature gets too hot you'll still warp it no matter how well it's clamped. So be careful how you have them welded. (Look at the pictures above and you can see what I mean about only welding in spots.) And don't worry about strength - even with the minimal welds shown in the picture above, these plates are strong enough to support the weight of an average adult without bending. More than enough for a laser projector or two!

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    I've noticed the delay in the shutoff on my Pluto's as well... I'm pretty certain it's down to the nasty DMX showcard as it also sometimes tries to takeover when I hit the e-stop... Currently getting round that by wiring a stop button into the interlock line in the db25.
    Many people have reported this same problem. I agree that the DMX board is the problem. I'm planning to rip all the DMX stuff out on mine and install the Stanwax ILDA boards instead.

Adam

Great stuff guys thanks for the info!

In the short term I will probably fabricate some simple stand adaptors from plywood (with appropriate level of secondary fixing for safety obviously) and look into something better in the future.

I'll have a think about the bounce mirrors and see if I want to DIY them or just get something turnkey.

As for the DMX module, I was already considering bypassing/removing them when I fit the Stanwax units. I definitely had to configure them to DMX mode to avoid the auto (standalone) display from starting when the ILDA cable was removed! Now that the DMX address is set and it's in DMX mode yanking the ILDA stops the show as I would hope.

I'm going to set up my estop to break the interlock in the ILDA too as this seems like a good sensible way to do things. I already know that the interlock in this circuit is more responsive than the keyswitch/DB9 system so it's a winner for me in the short term. It also gives me estop and signal for both projectors with just a single cable run (I'm just inverting X on one projector at the moment rather than separate control of them both which is something I will only really need when I upgrade to Beyond.

Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    John

Heya bro,
    I understand what you mean by proper . For me I see no value in something that doesn't meet safety standards. Just because your government doesn't have safety standards for lasers it doesn't mean that its safe .
    I see the variance system as a minimum . When you look at the colour iris system when it is actively controlling the output. Its like the analogue nexo alpha system or the L-acoustics.
    In New Zealand we have no rules. Will I take my laser out? The answer is no. I have one friend with a blind spot.
    The word is that if you get it wrong and it goes in your eyes... It boiled the optical fluid in front of your retina and cooked your retina.
    Sorry to be a bummer, straight up Wanting to be safe being safe are two different things.
    Perhaps a 300mw all diode build with the latest pangolin scanners are more for you.

Quote Originally Posted by daction View Post
    Heya bro,
    I understand what you mean by proper . For me I see no value in something that doesn't meet safety standards. Just because your government doesn't have safety standards for lasers it doesn't mean that its safe .
    I see the variance system as a minimum . When you look at the colour iris system when it is actively controlling the output. Its like the analogue nexo alpha system or the L-acoustics.
    In New Zealand we have no rules. Will I take my laser out? The answer is no. I have one friend with a blind spot.
    The word is that if you get it wrong and it goes in your eyes... It boiled the optical fluid in front of your retina and cooked your retina.
    Yep, all makes sense although I'm not sure what you are adding here? We're all in agreement about the importance of good safety processes and systems.

Quote Originally Posted by daction View Post
    Sorry to be a bummer, straight up Wanting to be safe being safe are two different things.
    Perhaps a 300mw all diode build with the latest pangolin scanners are more for you.
    Not sure I understand your point?
    I've already stated:
    1. "I'm booked on James' next safety training course in May."
    2. "Has anyone fitted the Stanwax ILDA interface board to a Pluto 2? I'm keen to retrofit this because of the enhanced safety features over the basic interlock supplied on the projectors."

Can you explain why it would be beneficial to me to use the type of projector you suggested? As far as I can see, taking the proper safety training courses and rectifying any deficiencies in the hardware seems to be the most logical approach. You should also factor in that I have a requirement for projectors with this level of "power" and already have very robust safety processes in place for the other areas of my business (where the main risks are electrocution, fire, trip/spill, hearing damage, property damage and crushing by heavy equipment).

John

Hi John, I may come across as negative. I am not its just that this stuff scares the heck of out me.
    Some people here have been at this for decades. After a few years I still don't feel comfortable taking my one out.
    Stanwaxs products are great they have heaps awesome features. They have provision for a safety shutter.
    The idea behind this is that if the relay that drives the laser power supplies fails in the on position and power to the relays coil is dropped , the shutter will drop blocking the beam.
    The other bit of safety gear that is a good idea is a scan fail board. If for some reason the scanners stop moving (i.e. no power or seized bearing) the signal to the lasers will be interrupted .
    When I first came here people where a lot more concerned about safety . Lasers where smaller then (for me at least).
    For me starting small was a good place to start. Hence the suggestion of an all diode low power laser with nice scanners.
    At the end of the day the most likely person to get hurt is you.
    Just my $.02
    dan

Hey Dan

Sure, I understand. Nothing wrong with being cautious!
    The SW board will be the starting point for me. Once that's I'll be working towards all the other items I need in order to even approach the idea of things like audience scanning. For now (eg, the next six months minimum), I will only be using the projectors for overhead shows and will be physically blocking beams from leaving the display area. I'll be avoiding hitting things like mirror balls (or any random reflective surfaces) too.

Once I've had a chat with James on the safety course I will be hopefully be more informed about where to start on the safety topics behind these "off limits" things.

From a business point of view, it's a pretty minor point too as most of my customers are asking specifically for NON-audience scanning shows because of the venue's policies or paranoia. This is fine by me! Ultimately, it's less work for the same revenue.

One quick question: You mentioned the scan fail board. I know about the Pangolin one, but it's very expensive. Are there alternatives that can achieve "acceptable" results?

Cheers,
    John

well, there is always this safety device http://www.eyemagic.gr/laser-iris-colorsafe.html

I have no idea on pricing. I know for sure that forum members have bought it and used it
    "its called character briggs..."

Hi John

Can you define what you mean by 'acceptable' results?

They do vary quite a lot in response speed, so it would be good to know what you deem to be fast enough.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Can you define what you mean by 'acceptable' results?
    Exactly!

I certainly don't have enough information to know how to quality "acceptable" at this stage. I guess initially I would rely on other people's definitions to get a ballpark and then try to get some "science" behind this to get to an actual set of requirements.

For example, I would trust your opinions on the subject so if you had some definition of "acceptable" it would certainly help me but I wouldn't go as far as to blindly follow your suggestions ("The Internet told me to do it").

Do you use any scan fail systems (assuming you perform shows that actually NEED this)?

Cheers,
    John

Yes, I do. i use Guido's safety board from mylaserpage.de
    It is not the fastest, but it performs as it should do, and is at the heart of my estop functionality as well, and doesn't cost the earth.
    It also has a user configurable 'horizon' above which it will allow hot /target beams, and below which it will stop them.
    I have a jumper routed to my rear panel that I can add a shorted plug to, which defeats this safety feature, so I can do single beam power measurements in the audience zone.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.