Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: VCQO Circuit Board

in such a case it would be great if you added a saw and square generator as well as the simplest fx (eg AM/FM) section
    It is also a lot easier to turn a few knobs and flip a few switches than it is to point and click...

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    in such a case it would be great if you added a saw and square generator as well as the simplest fx (eg AM/FM) section
    Bbe, that's already available, it's called the Z-5!

This is just the quadrature oscillator from the Z-5, this board outputs sine and square. The rest of the main Z-5 board has a saw and square LFO which is used to AM modulate the signals from the VCQO's via a VCA. And(or) you can FM modulate the signal with the 2nd input on the VCQO. Like I said, this is just the VCQO, which can be used in a number of other projects or a mini abstract generator can be made with a couple of these boards plus some other support circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    ...the VCQO, which can be used in a number of other projects.....
    If I ever get up to the point of getting a Z-5, which you have no idea how badly I want one, these would be great for building color mods.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Oh, I missed it .. your Z-5 definitely monster
    Bbe, that's already available, it's called the Z-5!
    Are you planning to develop Z-6 with motorized faders and buttons, or maybe Z-7 with digital potentiometers? It opens up many possibilities for the control of this generator, although it will not be a old school device from the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    ... these would be great for building color mods.
    I was thinking along the same lines. I was going to take a stab at color modulation with a micro controller, but analog would be fun to play with.

-Sal

Quadrature for color mod? Why? Even back in the day Laserium's color mod was "digital". Today with RGB systems you almost have to go digital...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Today with RGB systems you almost have to go digital...
    Laserist, can you elaborate on this a little more. If I am trying to mimic an analog signal by using a DAC output for each of my colors why wouldn't I want analog directly? Yes if I am trying to get a very specific color I may want control of individual steps per color (digital) but if I just want a rainbow of colors to flood my pattern while being AM modulated around the pattern I can see the fun in true analog color modulation.

I guess my though is just because Laserium didn't do it doesn't mean there isn't a place for it today. There is room for all kinds of art performed in all kinds of different ways.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

For color mod you're traditionally working with full on colors. A bipolar sine wave when you're driving a galvo to whip beam around isn't horrible, but it's not that useful for analog diode drivers, and the cosine output might generate something interesting, but only as a subset of what could be done...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Ok, so it looks like if we wanted to do this I would need to have about 10 boards printed. I'll take 4 and 6 for other folks. At 10 boards we'd be looking at $18.00 per board plus whatever it cost to ship to you. If you just want the board, no problem, it will come with a parts list and I'll put together a video on how to tune them. Note, you will need an oscilloscope.

Or, if you want a fully populated board that's tested and tuned it will be $55.00 plus shipping.

If anyone else signs up for one the price should drop a little bit. I figure by the end of next week I'll close this out, accept payment and get the orders put in. lead time would probably be about 3-4 weeks for the assembled boards and probably less for the bare boards.

Thanks!
    David

Dz,

Could you please put me down for three of these, sorry I'm a little late to the party I'll take them fully populated please

Many Thanks

steve