Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving Red (Maybe ALL) Beams

the two things mentioned above by andy are two of my fav threads

so, here is the quad http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hlight=p1t8ull

and here is the projector that uses a tec cooled version of it http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hlight=p1t8ull
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post

and here is the projector that uses a tec cooled version of it http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hlight=p1t8ull
    Damn, That's what i call results, Makes me almost not want to wait for a review/detailed info about the Oclaro diodes :P Allthough im Pbs'ing two diodes.

-Hybrid
    1x - 2W RGB DT40Pro (Currently building)
    1x - 1W RGB PT25K
    ------------------------------------
    EtherDream, LaserShowExpress, Ipad (TouchOSC)
    -Hybridz0rz

spot on

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

But the main thing with what eric is doing is divergence results, and less need to get everything spot on centered
    With <.5mrad i am very interested in what he is sharing here .
    Look forward to seeing what he can do with the oclaro diode.

Eric what mag is the cylinder lens set your using ? X4 x6 ??
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Hybrid,

I plan to make a video and will probably post it this coming weekend. I will do it in two parts. The first will lay out the current P73 diode set up with the optics and show the beam characteristics. I think this is necessary because the claims that I am making for divergence are pretty extraordinary. I will then swap out the diodes for the Oclaros and retest to show what if any improvement occurs.

Andy,
    I'm glad you posted this even though I disagree with you in a number of areas. The quad module you are referring to uses the somewhat better G71 diodes (I know this diode as it is part of a quad module in the projector siting next to the test bed projector). Nevertheless this diode like its larger sibling the P73 also produces diffracted wings from threshold up and no amount of careful alignment with the collimator, be it an asphere or multi-element will eliminate these. The best you can do is to make these wings symmetrical. Making them symmetrical is important and I always do this. The few diodes that I have come across where this is impossible have been disposed of or the offending lens was replaced. I may not be more careful than anyone else, but I do believe that no one is more careful than me. You can decide for your self based on my videos.

The spot from the projector on the wall @ 28M looks pretty good but the "junk" is there and its visibility is going to depend on the ambient brightness, surface characteristics and the actual spot size.

But the main thing with what eric is doing is divergence results, and less need to get everything spot on centered
    With <.5mrad i am very interested in what he is sharing here .
    Badger,

I am very pleased with these projectors. The co-alignment of the beams from source to screen is nearly perfect and although the spots in the far field are similar, the red is actually, slightly worse despite its extraordinarily small dimensions. The package is good. I am only highlighting the red because it has been the limit so far on the over all quality of these projectors (and still is, but less so).

In post #one, I give the lenses, spacings and orientations, so anyone can duplicate my work, but regarding the cylinders, I do not want to try to convert the cylinder pair into an approximate magnification. Depending on the distance from the collimator to the first concave cylinder, the same cylinder pair can produce a variety of magnifications (because the input beam is strongly diverging already).

Damn, That's what i call results, Makes me almost not want to wait for a review/detailed info about the Oclaro diodes :P Allthough im Pbs'ing two diodes.
    Hybrid,

I'm not sure what results you are excited about. I went through these threads and I don't see anything that I can use to measure the quality of the red beam. I may have rushed through and skipped something important, but all remember is the far field spot on the building @ 28 M. Let me know if I did miss something.

Don't get me wrong. The module might be really good and the beam good as well, but I don't see any beam dimensions or how the results can be duplicated. And, no matter how good the system, if a $65 diode could improve these results further, I'm interested to see how much. It might be better, but not all new diodes are better. The 5W 660nm C-mount that DTR was selling some months back was not.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I plan to make a video and will probably post it this coming weekend. I will do it in two parts. The first will lay out the current P73 diode set up with the optics and show the beam characteristics. I think this is necessary because the claims that I am making for divergence are pretty extraordinary. I will then swap out the diodes for the Oclaros and retest to show what if any improvement occurs.
    that's what i wanted to hear

I can assure you that what you have deducted for simon's quad is correct. The "garbage" around the beam is there. The wings are prominent, too, no magic involved. The scanner mirrors will clip that to some extend. The limit of this setup is around 1mrad, maybe a tiny bit lower, with very tedious and careful setup. I know what I am talking about, I have one and have worked on it with detailed instructions from simon (and lots of pictures back and forth via email).

Besides, Simon never claimed to have made the ultimate quad setup. He claimed to have made a very small footprint and stable design, which produces a very decent result, with no drift and things dropping out of alignment. I know this to be true, because I did it and it works

So, I am more than eager to test simon's quad with planters idea of the last cylinder - PCX setup (I just don't have any pcx lenses, nor have the laser-budget at the moment)

The only sigificant difference I see is eric using the 4mm lens which is more forgiving in terms of centering and of lower initial divergence, while simon's quad is built around the 2mm lens which is a small pita to get dead center and attention to detail makes a whole world of difference.
    "its called character briggs..."

think ill bail out now.

no matter how good you think you are and how much you think you know, there is always someone out there who knows more.

when I say you, im not referring to you personally but us all.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

LaNeK779,
    Thanks for the clarification. Two important points should be made. Firstly, these diodes increase their divergence with current. The spot will brighten and increase in both the X and Y dimensions as the power increases. The increase is significant. From memory, I would say it doubles from threshold up to a maximum current around 1 A. This is why I specified a drive current in the OP. Secondly, to get the kind of beam quality I am seeing here requires careful and tedious alignment. My projectors are not made to be hauled around and dumped onto a stage and robust designs such as Simon's should be respected for their stability.

no matter how good you think you are and how much you think you know, there is always someone out there who knows more.

when I say you, im not referring to you personally but us all.
    Andy,

I agree. I am always looking for people like this. It can be humbling, but I think it is the best way to improve what you are doing and learn more. That's why I try to be open about what I am doing and welcome criticism ( as long as it is constructive and in good humor). I Hope you didn't take my disagreement personally

it would be great if there would be a way to somehow gear an adjustement or something that extremely fine adjustements can be done with bigger turns compared to doing it through a screw :/
    Would be more suceptible to misalignment though as a tradeoff of easier adjustement.

Also not sure if another thread is already hopping onto this but I heard that the new oclaro is worse then the P73, however will the focus be put on improving that new oclaro and getting the best beam out of it? or is the diode not worth bothering? (I know there is another thread about this going on but I might as well ask because we are talking red and improvement).