Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using More Than 3 Wavelengths...Theoretical Discussion

The thing that has prevented me from building a 3+ color projector is, that all software I know internally works with rgb colors.
    Those rgb-channels are then remapped to 4 or more channels according some preset.
    That preset is then fixed, so cues or projectionzones can not have their own color mapping.

For example I can not create a frame with a rainbow that truely consists of 8 individual colors, at least not with the software I know of.
    I believe that you can set up custom palletes/power schemes in Beyond. (we discussed this in the recent Kvant Atom thream I think) and I seem to recall that these can be assigned within cue properties, so a graphics cue could use a different pallete/power scheme to a hot beam cue for example.

So in your rainbow example, you would train the pallete so that you define your 8 colours to only use 1 of each of the modules in the projector. when you project a rainbow using exactly those colours, you'll just use the modules. Obviously, selecting a colour NOT one of the defined 'pure' ones will cause blending with the other colours, but you can define how this is done anyway.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    That preset is then fixed, so cues or projectionzones can not have their own color mapping.

<snip>

at least not with the software I know of.
    You don't "know of" our software ;-) Since 1992, we have not done it the way you're talking about. The mapping is entirely under the control of the user and LD2000, QuickShow and BEYOND all have three separate "mappings". BEYOND is even more powerful than the others in how this is done.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    You don't "know of" our software ;-) Since 1992, we have not done it the way you're talking about. The mapping is entirely under the control of the user and LD2000, QuickShow and BEYOND all have three separate "mappings". BEYOND is even more powerful than the others in how this is done.
    Bill
    No kidding? does this require the ld2000 hardware? Because I never encountered any of this functionality with my FB3-SE's.

Are these documented features ? If so, could you please provide me with a link to manual where this is described in detail ?

What is handy is mixing in a touch of green on your 445nm blue to make it more visible. pallets work well. still I miss the neos gas ion colors of an ArKr. 6 color is wonderful and unmatched in diode unless you count those 20k Coherent things. also miss perfect overlap of the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    also miss perfect overlap of the lines.
    I miss that most of all! Deep violet was not a hint of red with a blue halo.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Is it not possible to adjust each beam with a telescope of the appropriate power to achieve this? For a few hundred bucks in lenses and a few square inches of real estate, it seems this should be doable?

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Is it not possible to adjust each beam with a telescope of the appropriate power to achieve this? For a few hundred bucks in lenses and a few square inches of real estate, it seems this should be doable?
    It is doable but there are always alignment issues. The more optics in the train means there is more to shift. With an ArKr, the only alignment issues you may have would affect output (easily fixable too). Regardless, your color lines will always be perfectly aligned, not just in divergence, but XY as well.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it is possible to screw up your color alignment with ArKr if you are clumsy with your pcaom. i would not ever expect to see this problem at selem while dz is running the big projector.

It is doable but there are always alignment issues. The more optics in the train means there is more to shift. With an ArKr, the only alignment issues you may have would affect output (easily fixable too). Regardless, your color lines will always be perfectly aligned, not just in divergence, but XY as well.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That deep blue halo from the 457 line is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, the Coherent I use at SELEM has no 457 line at all. I was tempted to throw my 2 lexel 85's up there to run with solid state red just to get that 457 line. I might do that next year.

It'd be a bit less power but probably a tighter beam. 1.1mm at .7mrad

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    No kidding? does this require the ld2000 hardware? Because I never encountered any of this functionality with my FB3-SE's.
    You need hardware that is capable of controlling six channels (or more). The QM2000 indeed can control 8 color channels. Same way with the FB3-QS. But the FB3-SE and FB3-XE can only control 3 color channels.

The FB3-SE was released around 2002 and the XE is just the SE in a box... The FB3-QS was released around 2010, so it has more and newer capabilities. The FB3-QS can also go up to 120K, where FB3-SE and XE are limited to 30K.

Bill