Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest QUALITY moving head dmx light?

Do you REALLY need moving head lights?

If it's just to throw beams onto the dancefloor, then think more about moonflower type lights or scans... they'll be cheaper for better quality units and less hassle to program and run.

If you can find them (as I think they're discontinued now) get some Martin Wizard Extremes. They were pretty bright, threw beams over a huge area and could be run stand-alone in a sort of Master/Slaves mode so you could ignore them and get on with DJing.
    I'm sure having moving heads is fashionable... but is it practical or even really necessary?
    Will you ever use their ability to pan 360+ degrees or tilt 270?
    If they're going to live on stands at one side of the dancefloor... no. Not really...

Also ask yourself if you'll have time while djing to run a DMX console and your laser software while still thinking about your next mix/tune...

In most situations I detest lighting that runs itself... but when solo DJing, it has it's place... and it's generally a lot cheaper than DMX controlled stuff...

But if your totally sold on the idea of moving heads, I strongly recommend you budget in the region of $1000 per head and $2500 minimum for a decent DMX console. You will very quickly regret it otherwise!
    There's a reason FleaBay is full of the sub $1000 kit selling for peanuts...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Do you REALLY need moving head lights?

If it's just to throw beams onto the dancefloor, then think more about moonflower type lights or scans... they'll be cheaper for better quality units and less hassle to program and run.

If you can find them (as I think they're discontinued now) get some Martin Wizard Extremes. They were pretty bright, threw beams over a huge area and could be run stand-alone in a sort of Master/Slaves mode so you could ignore them and get on with DJing.
    I'm sure having moving heads is fashionable... but is it practical or even really necessary?
    Will you ever use their ability to pan 360+ degrees or tilt 270?
    If they're going to live on stands at one side of the dancefloor... no. Not really...

Also ask yourself if you'll have time while djing to run a DMX console and your laser software while still thinking about your next mix/tune...

In most situations I detest lighting that runs itself... but when solo DJing, it has it's place... and it's generally a lot cheaper than DMX controlled stuff...

But if your totally sold on the idea of moving heads, I strongly recommend you budget in the region of $1000 per head and $2500 minimum for a decent DMX console. You will very quickly regret it otherwise!
    There's a reason FleaBay is full of the sub $1000 kit selling for peanuts...
    Martin Wizard extremes, while nice, are VERY expensive, and are limited to 'disco ball' looks. I spent 6 years running lights in a club that had a couple, and the only reason they got used at all was because the club lacked a disco ball. I also disagree with your assessment about controllers. First off, a full console is pointless unless there will be a dedicated lighting tech. Second, if moving heads are involved, $2500 aint gonna cut it. Martin, Chauvet & elation all make decent to really good lighting software, ranging from a few hundred bucks to just over $1000. How ever, my original recommendation still stands: buy some ADJ inno beams (or Chauvet intimidator scans) and use the built in programs.

I would also avoid purchasing Chinese knock offs of other manufacturers moving lights, as there is a lot more that can go wrong on a moving yoke than on a laser.

In addition to DJing I also just have a fascination with LDs and live lighting so it would just give me some "independent study"
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

You could consider the ADJ Vizi Beam 5R if you're after a budget Clay Paky Sharpy look, but they're still around £1.3K per fixture.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

^^ What I've really been lusting after since last August though, is the ADJ Vizi Beam Hybrid 2R but those are $1600 each. The Chauvets I looked at yesterday may be a cheap substitute but, I'll have to give it some serious thought. I need to do a closer comparison.

Try dropping member CSG a PM. I know he uses some 5R beam fixtures from China which he quite likes. Enough that another friend of mine with a sound and light production company has just ordered a load for himself.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Maybe Winni can help you out, she's more into stage lightning now, and we all know what she did for us when it came to lasers
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

If you buy the China 5r beam units, be aware there are two types available. One has magnetic ballast the other electronic.

I can't remember which I'm afraid, but one of the two have major issues with them that'll cost you a fortune in lamps and ballast replacement!
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

I'd go for a pair of the Chinese 5R moving heads, you can two shipped in a roadcase for $1200 and a Chamsys Magic DMX Basic Dongle: https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/magicdmx I hear people recommend having movers shipped in a road-case just so they don't damaged.

The tour I was LD on for this year, we had 2 Intimidator Spot 350 moving heads, they're pretty nice, when you turn up all the controls to 11 they go apeshit so that's cool too. The stock gobos that are aluminum are really bad/cheesy IMO. We replaced the gobos on the moving heads with ones from Apollo, it's not cheap (our gobos were like $10 each) but definitely improved the heads immensely over stock. Only problem was when we switched out gobos on one of the heads, some wire must've got moved because we started having issues with that particular mover afterwards.

Some other venues we were in had the Intimidator 250s, those are TINY. Most venues didn't have diddly squat but the ones that did had a lot of old halogen scanners, I got to play with some really expensive moving heads at the House of Blues in Dallas and some other nice venues, I couldn't tell much of a difference between fixtures other than they were brighter than our Intimidator 350s. I am pretty much a dilettante in lighting though.

Hmm I am seeing a good amount of chinese suggestions and I even got an email with quotes. Anyone here have any suggestions with buying from china? I have heard plenty about winni and her quality, but of course I would like options.
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -