Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 1.4W 462nm Laser Diode

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I'm not far off firing up my combined 445/462 modules, so I can give you a subjective opinion then.
    Looking forward to seeing those Norty ! What are you using for optics? G-2, cyl lenses and a PBS ?

Optima 4mm lens, waveplates from the GB, PBS from Dave and prisms
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Interesting. Are you going to post pics? You know how much we luv pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1,018.2 KB 
ID:	43676Click image for larger version. 

Views:	118 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	43677Click image for larger version. 

Views:	115 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	43678Click image for larger version. 

Views:	82 
Size:	867.3 KB 
ID:	43679
    Frikkin Lasers

Very nice. Is there a reason that you are using prisms on one and cyl lenses on the other? These have 2 outputs each?

The prisms are on the 445/462 combo, the cylinders are on the 637. 2 outputs for 2 colours

1.5W of red, ~3.5W of blue.

Got a pair of 2W+ Laserwave 532 OEM-V-SS modules (the very small ones, not the OEM-V-S) to go with each of these combined modules
    Frikkin Lasers

Oh, ok .. Very cool

Norty,

I was thinking about this. The fact that each laser diode enjoys a separate channel, you could fine tune the blue mix to what you like best. So, unless Steve's diode is an outlier and the colors are very similar, the best color and brightness might be anywhere between only 462 full on to only 445 full on. This might mean a quad with 3 + 1 for example. It might mean an upgrade for anyone might be to just add as many of the 462 diodes as they need.

This is like what I suggested for the 532 lasers. Maybe adding one 520 diode and blending it with a PBS would give a more appealing green.

The fact that each laser diode enjoys a separate channel, you could fine tune the blue mix to what you like best.
    Yep, this was the reason we added a second driver, rather than just having both blues on a single channel (which we could've done, seeing as they appear to be binned versions of the same diode). I don't spend money unnecessarilly
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Steve,
    That last image is remarkable. That seems like a lot more than 17nm redder. The 462 looks cyan. Is the difference that significant in person? If so, I think combining this with a 445 would be a good idea. I would think that you'll have difficulty producing any deep blues with the 462 diode alone.
    That image appear to be at right before threshold but i could be wrong. If it is, the Dominate output Wavelength will cover that cyan look since its only a faint glow. It really is never in the output beam.

What ive noticed over time with diodes specifically the Blues and Greens is there seems to be hidden Wavelengths in the output. Its very faint. Less then 1mW but its there. Seems more like leakage then anything. I started to notice this with the 9mm 445nm/450nm diode and then all the green diodes.

I used a filter to pull the colors out at right before threshold for the 9mm 445nm/450nm diodes and i found that there is Green in the output as well as some lighter blues. Ive measured ~465nm ~520nm and ~540nm in the output. However its so faint again its no use to us but interesting.

Now for Green diodes ive seen even more Wavelengths in the output. Ive seen violet, 445nm , 470nm's and even some Red 637nm.

I first saw this with those 488nm 20mW and 473nm 20mW single mode diodes i have and where i started seeing people calming dual Wavelength. When in reality the Second or third Wavelengths that showed up where nothing more then a faint glow.

I did take some images to show this with Green diodes:

Here is a PL520 at right before threshold Expanded. You can see all the diffrent colors/Wavelengths. (The Red cannot be seen)

However i pulled the red out. Its very faint:

I tried to do a spectrometer scan on this and this is the best i was able to do:

^I was not able to get the 470nm's to show up But its there.

Just try it out. Run any of the blue or green diodes right before threshold and you will see it.

Iam not sure exactly how these type of dies are made but there is some leakage of other Wavelengths that can be seen. I wonder truly how easy it is for them to switch Wavelengths.

Since the 450nm 9mm diode beam profile seems to be very similar if not the same as the 1W 520 and these 462nm diodes i wonder if its all the same die with just different coated mirrors to produce the different Wavelengths.

I would expect these 462nm diodes to be no diffrent and show the same as what ive seen in the 450nm and 520nm diodes.

A typical 9mm 450nm diodes will lase at ~ 452nm to 454nm so these give off ~10nm more which is enough to show a difference quit a bit next to the 450's diodes since 450nm sits right at the point where its not to violet or skyblue. So the 10nm shift puts it over the balance IMO.

Since i collect lasers also I have a couple of different Wavelengths in the blues/Cyan from 430nm,438nm,442nm,452nm,457nm,465nm and 473nm +the cyans up to 507nm and when viewing them side by side you can see the difference over them and when i had some of these lasers setup between the 452nm and the 473nm there is a missing void where these 462nm diodes fit into and its noticeable. You can see that the 462nm stands out alone is what iam saying. Its just enough to not mistake it for 450nm.IMO

So i agree with the color mixing idea you mentioned for sure.
    Last edited by Lazeerer; 06-28-2014 at 21:19.