Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.4W 462nm Laser Diode

(Norty's under a deadline .. somebody hurry-up .. k ? )

I've no spare funds to try one at the moment, but power meter, beam profiler, spectrometer, M2 measurement stage, and collimation interferometer at the ready to properly test one, should someone want to donate one me one to see what the best beam attainable (diffraction limited) is out of one of these; (or any other diode for that matter)
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Even at the paper the specs of the Oclaro were not looking "good". Crappy beam was expected.
    It wasn't clear to me. Until a few of us tested these with reasonable beam shaping optics these in fact were promising. I would contribute to a fund to get Dan to test these, but I have a serious concern. The range of wavelengths is VERY broad. Even the "445"nm diodes have a practical range of 5-6nm (I have tested this). Unless you test 10 -20 of these it won't be clear if they cluster near the middle of this range or are evenly distributed throughout (and even beyond). The benefit of this substantially more expensive diode depends on its distance from 445nm.

I´ll get the diode by the end of the next week. I will make all the tests I can make and then post the results. Sure, one diode will not show the nm range but should clearly show the other beam specs.

@Dan

Thanks for your offer to spend your time on testing one of these diodes. I may send one to you for M^2 measurement. I´m sure it will be very bad.
    The translation stage of my M^2 system got damaged for a stupid reason. What system do you use?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    The range of wavelengths is VERY broad. Even the "445"nm diodes have a practical range of 5-6nm
    Yeah 455-470nm is one hell of a spec tolerance .. wondering about this diode ..

@M2:
    It's a custom system I have built which is ISO-11146 compliant and consists primarily of a Newport CCD beam profiler and a 1000mm linear stage. So not a $10,000+ commercial system, but functionally identical, and works to the same measurement standard.

@Emission wavelengths:
    Don't forget there will be around a 5nm increase as you raise the injection current from threshold to operating current.
    Distribution? As with most things, assume a normal distribution, around 462nm @1.4A.
    Or test... Lots.

An aside...
    I have now moved away from "hand collimating" in the traditional sense laser diodes ("pick a point on the wall afar and focus"). I've breadboarded a collimating interferometer rig which allows for genuinely perfect collimation of the source (to the performance of the lens system), by matching interference patterns. Recent trials with some 120mW B1 bin Osram diodes exhibit mind-blowingly low divergence; a thread with exact measurements to follow.
    Last edited by danielbriggs; 05-10-2014 at 02:11.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

If only it wasn't for the 800 euro wedge optic.... everyone would be building a shearing interferometer

i;m getting impatient... when will we see one of these diodes emmiting some photons?
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    If only it wasn't for the 800 euro wedge optic.... everyone would be building a shearing interferometer

i;m getting impatient... when will we see one of these diodes emmiting some photons?
    No need to spend 800€ for. Thorlabs offers a Shearing Interferometer for ~300€

The diode will arrive by the end of the next week.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Late last night, I discovered a laser projector seller that has already integrated this diode. Laser King (laserlinna here on the forum) - of the LKDPD-1 and 2 fame. I'll copy her e-mail I received when I get back to work. I was a little surprised to see these making it into an Asian manufacturers regular product line before some of the high end manufacturers or even the experimenters and testers here.

Quote Originally Posted by lasertack View Post
    No need to spend 800€ for. Thorlabs offers a Shearing Interferometer for ~300€
    The diode will arrive by the end of the next week.
    Yes, you are right http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9...tgroup_id=2970
    But there are hidden costs there, replacement shear plates, beam viewing accesories etc etc...

I saw an optical wedge from newport and I was disheartened
    "its called character briggs..."