Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you sugges a laser that can cut 3-4 mm plywood?

Default Can you sugges a laser that can cut 3-4 mm plywood?

Hi! I'm gong to upgrade my small laser engraver so that I can cut 3-4 mm plywood. I don't mind if it's little slow cutting, but it have to run continuously for one hour or two. I have been in contact with dtr-lpf on eBay.com about this laser:

2W 445nm M140 Blue Laser Diode In Copper Module W/Leads

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123)

TheIs it possible to cut plywood with this laser or do you have a better suggestion?

Best Regards / Jimmy Alenius

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i use a 60W co2 laser to cut plywood. it works very very well.

i don't think you would be able to do that with a 445 diode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyalenius View Post
    Hi! I'm gong to upgrade my small laser engraver so that I can cut 3-4 mm plywood. I don't mind if it's little slow cutting, but it have to run continuously for one hour or two. I have been in contact with dtr-lpf on eBay.com about this laser:

2W 445nm M140 Blue Laser Diode In Copper Module W/Leads

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123)

TheIs it possible to cut plywood with this laser or do you have a better suggestion?

Best Regards / Jimmy Alenius
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ok, so not even if I cut it very slow?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you can try it, but i would be surprised it it worked.

i recommend you use also use a jet of compressed air colinear to the laser beam to help blow smoke and junk away from your cut.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

You'd be better off with a soldering iron on a stick.

So the only option is a CO2 laser?

... the diodes with 445nm @2Watts are perfect for marking wood, but cutting is more problematic - I've cut 5mm Balsa-sheets with 4 passes, but cutting 3mm birch plywood stopped at the first glue-slice ...

Viktor

Ok! How about those 5w lasers that's on eBay. Is it still too less power to cut wood?

Another problem I got is about color of the material that's being cut. White wellpap is impossible to cut through with my tiny laser. Brown or black is much easier. Is white wellpap possible with a 2w laser?

Thanks for answering all my questions. I'm new to this, but wants to learn

Regards / Jimmy

... 5Watt @445nm would be much better or more usefull, but most ">3W-diodes" are simply overpowered above their safe limit, so with drastically reduced life-time expectation ... sometimes only some ten hours, until they'll dying for overheating!

You can cut white paper with >1W @445nm or >300mW @405nm ... for "wellpap" you'll have to run several passes and maybe adjust the Z-heights per pass too ...

Viktor

Yes, my machine is a cnc mill (x, y and z) so there is no problem to lower the laser for every pass. So the big challange is to find a 5w/445nm that is native 5w. Back to eBay...