Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring DT40Pro's - Help Please

Question Wiring DT40Pro's - Help Please

Hi all

I'm just about to start wiring my new DT40Pro's to the DB25 connector. For those of you that know me I make no secret of the fact that I am a complete idiot when it comes to electronics. Yes, I can handle my soldering iron quite deftly, yes, I can use a test meter, Yes, i'm reasonably technically minded... However, I competely lose it when it comes to wiring things up that I know nothing about.

So, can anyone help me with the wiring of my DT40Pro's to the DB25 connector? I have (or will shortly have when the red and blue arrive) three lasers all analogue modulation.

I have attached some pictures to hopefully make it easier to explain to a complete electronics numpty

First I have connected all the leads to their obvious places, that being there was only one size plug for each connector lead...
    [img]dsc02644.jpg[/img]

Next I have a bit left over with no obvious place to plug it into...
    [img]dsc02645.jpg[/img]

Next bit of confusion - which connector is for Live, Neutral and Earth for the mains (240volt AC) input?
    [img]dsc02642.jpg[/img]

Here's a picture of the circuit board (two of these - one for 'X', one for 'Y'). There are four pins marked 'input' what connects to these? I've bought some plugs that will fit the pins.
    [img]dsc02643.jpg[/img]

Finally a picture of the back of the male DB25 connector that will accept a lead that will plug into the back of my ILDA standard Medialas USB DAC.
    [img]dsc02646.jpg[/img]

I'm so paranoid about destroying something that I have no confidence whatsoever to do this on my own without some assistance from you more electrically minded folks. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

Cheers

Jem

P.S. I'm also a numpty at attaching pictures I thought I had them all in the right places, ah well, I hope you can understand them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02642.JPG  

DSC02643.JPG  

DSC02645.JPG  

DSC02646.JPG  

DSC02644.JPG  

Look at the 2 pin connector on DT40pro, there is named X and Y, theese goes to the driver cards, also named X and Y. Plug it in. The last 3 connector is this:
    X is 1 on ilda connector (white on DT40Pro)
    Y is 2 on ilda connector (Red on dt40pro)
    ground at 25 on ilda connector (Black on DT40)

Thats it. To hard ?

Look here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...6&postcount=16
    Last edited by cruch; 03-30-2007 at 12:34.

Yes, but mine are different cards to those shown in jian's photo's. The only pins left available are the four pins on each card marked as 'Input'.

I understand that one card is for 'X' and one card is for 'Y'. But which set of two pins on each card do I use to plug the XY plugs into? In other words should the two pin plug be at the left or the right side of the four pins shown as 'Input' on each card?

Cheers

Jem

Mmm, I don't have DT40's but I do have ScanPro40s, and they are set for differential inputs along with a feedback line.

If yours are like mine then you do not want to guess, you need to find out which of the 4 pins does what function (in+, in-, gnd, feedback) before you go wiring stuff. If you don't produce a differential signal, and your signal source (DAC usually) is not far from the scanner board, you can usually tie in- to gnd, use in+ for your signal in, and ignore feedback.

Someone here can probably tell you the pinouts if you don't have the diagram.

Oh yea, you might want to have a look at http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las.../Pinouts9.html if you want to know the rest of the ILDA db25 pinouts
    Last edited by ajohnson30; 03-30-2007 at 14:00.

you put in the input connector!
    Look at the picture below. in the circle....there you put it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02643.JPG  

Thanks Cruch, i'll give that a go. So what are the other two pins for then?

Next, Which of these is the live, neutral and earth mains feed?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but as you know if I get this wrong it can be expensive !

Cheers

Jem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02642.JPG  

AC 115/220V
    AC 115/220V
    FG is ground, usually yellow

Quote Originally Posted by cruch View Post
    AC 115/220V
    AC 115/220V
    FG is ground, usually yellow
    Does it matter which 'AC' is live and which is neutral?

Jem

Heh, I've been putting some work into tuning the DT-40 pros... One caveat to note is that the amp comes tuned for single ended controllers. If you have a "real" controller (i.e. pangolin) you will want to turn the ISC pot way down.

This is an internal document I am posting to help you guys, so please do not spread the document outside this board. (If I see it in use professionally by non-photonlexicon members, I will avoid posting more documents in the future. So keep it on your hard drive and tell other people to sign up on PL to get it.)

The DT-4XXX amp is a cost-cut design very similar to a cambridge's. The galvos are internally different and is actually better IMHO than a 6800 but worse than a 6215 in terms of absolute performance. This is based on some tests we ran.

To make connection easy... (some of this information was posted before, but to clarify)

If you have a differential controller:
    attach pin 1 to the leftmost pin on INPUT on the X scanamp,
    attach pin 14 to the rightmost pin on INPUT on the X scanamp,
    attach pin 25 to one of the inner pins on the X scanamp.
    attach pin 2 to the leftmost pin on INPUT on the Y scanamp,
    attach pin 15 to the rightmost pin on INPUT on the Y scanamp,
    attach pin 25 to one of the inner pins on the Y scanamp.
    (Note that while normally you do not want to route pin 25 to a differential amp, due to some internal details the DT40's will probably thank you for it.)

If you have a single ended controller:
    (and if your controller does not use pin 14/15 for return...)
    - attach pin 1 to the leftmost pin on INPUT on the X scanamp
    - attach pin 25 to one of the inner pins on the X scanamp
    - attach pin 2 to the leftmost pin on INPUT on the Y scanamp,
    - attach pin 25 to one of the inner pins on the Y scanamp.
    (or if you controller uses pin 14/15 for return)
    attach pin 1 to the leftmost pin on INPUT on the X scanamp
    attach pin 14 to the rightmost pin on INPUT on the X scanamp,
    attach pin 2 to the leftmost pin on INPUT on the Y scanamp,
    attach pin 15 to the rightmost pin on INPUT on the Y scanamp,
    (on a single-ended controller with floating pseudo-differentials, you may also need to tie pin 25 to the amp)
    attach pin 25 to one of the inner pins on the X scanamp.
    attach pin 25 to one of the inner pins on the Y scanamp.

Attached you will find the schematic we drew for the amp as well as layout and a parts list and a description of how to integrate "real" test points for oscilloscope based tuning. This is a work in progress so ask me if I've updated it if you're doing anything important, and as always use at your own risk.

Kevin tuning up a set of 40 pro amps. Looks like he's setting IOF (input offset) here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dt40new.2.pdf  

Last edited by yaddatrance; 03-31-2007 at 06:40.

WOW! Thats really nice dude
    Thanks for the nice work yaddatrance.