Thread: DIY Laser Marking/Engraving Machine, is it possible or even practical?

Default DIY Laser Marking/Engraving Machine, is it possible or even practical?

I'm looking into getting into marking/engraving with a yag laser. I'd like to mark stainless, aluminum, coated steel, and even do some deep engraving (.02 inches or more). I have seen some scan heads and controllers on ebay that are reasonably priced, and I have a water cooled ktp yag currently set up as a z-fold 532nm with q-switch. I am planning on removing all of the 532nm components for use in this system and sticking with 1064nm only. Is there any reason I should not try this or any potential pitfalls I'm not considering? The yag system will probably put out around 60W, which is right in the range I'm looking for. Just looking for any direction from any of you who have done this before or know more than I do, thanks again!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You should remember that green marks many materials better then IR.
    You also need to keep the external rotating attenuator, KTPs do not run very stably at low lamp currents.
    KTP and Stable in the same sentence is a oxymoron/

How are you going to blank it? The internal Q-switch driver is not setup for rapid modulation as used in marking.

BTW, After some bad juju by one past PL user, we are very guarded about what we say about how to mod/utilize laserscopes here. Do you have past experience with laser marking and high power lasers?

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-07-2014 at 20:11.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. I was planning on ditching the ktp to make things easier as most markers are 1064 only. Do you really thing the benefit would be worth the hassle? I had planned on using the current q-switch for blanking, so if that isn't a good idea what would you recommend. I'm aware of the bad juju regarding these systems which is why I didn't name it by name, I've been working with this caliber of system for about 10 years so I'm aware of the risks and know how to safely manage them. Thanks again for the reply.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by logaholic View Post
    Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. I was planning on ditching the ktp to make things easier as most markers are 1064 only. Do you really thing the benefit would be worth the hassle? I had planned on using the current q-switch for blanking, so if that isn't a good idea what would you recommend. I'm aware of the bad juju regarding these systems which is why I didn't name it by name, I've been working with this caliber of system for about 10 years so I'm aware of the risks and know how to safely manage them. Thanks again for the reply.
    PM sent.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for the link Macona, I hope to be putting use to my Synrad one of these days (tempted to cheat and get a table and dsp from lightobject). Maybe mike will have another uv laser and change my mind... I didn't bring my large yag from Texas back to Oregon.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I used a 10watt 1064nm to engrave tools in the military.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar