Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: News Show

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i always assumed it was because they wanted to force users into a pangolin only ecosystem.

it would be quite trivial to have protection set on the frame level so only unprotected frames/shows would export to ilda while protected (i.e. pangolin licensed and other commercial shows) content would not export. that's like a first semester CS problem...

pangolin posts about ilda exported files not having the same quality of native files. this is reasonably true. especially in the case of abstracts. less so, i imagine for 3d rendered content. this being the case, if i create original content i should have the ability to do whatever i want with that content. including sharing it freely with other laser show creators.

this is not to bash pangolin or pangolin products.. i own some pangolin products and there are some incredible shows made with pangolin, but not including an ilda export option for user created original content is a decision i do not agree with.

i am grateful that not all laser companies share that philosophy.

oh, and thank you for sharing your show.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    I believe that they do not have this feature in their newer software products because of the well documented problem with too many people sharing the shows with non pangolin users, which violates the software license agreement and numerous copyright laws. I've seen many an "ilda format show" that contained illegally exported artwork. The vast majority of users do not create their own material from scratch and just use the supplied clip art, which cannot be legally exported to a system other than pangolin.

Believe me, I have run into many a frustrating moment myself because of these limitations, due to my owning multiple software platforms that I cannot freely exchange frames between. But that is life. It's also a great unintentional sales pitch for those ILDA-ADAT and ADAT- ILDA boxes another member is selling.

Perhaps you are just using the wrong tool for the job? LD2000 pro and Showtime 2000 pro both let you export frames you create and shows you create ( provided they do not contain pangolin copyrighted content) as ILDA format.

I look forward to hearing your reviews of the correct version of Pangolin that fits your needs a few heartbeats from now....
    Last edited by swamidog; 08-20-2014 at 17:57.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Wow -
    I'm willing to bet Dillweed never expected his post to turn into a drawn-out discussion concerning the lack of ilda file export on some (not all!!) of Pangolin's software / hardware suites.

Darn that Pangolin....
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-20-2014 at 12:42.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thank you for the share. I'm looking forward to seeing both versions.

Swamidog, thanks for posting that, it sums up EXPERTLY what I meant and probably should have said instead... The only option for me with Pangolin is to buy an earlier version of their software that allows this... Hey, I understand perfectly protecting their content, but stuff I make? And as you have seen from the arcade laser show I created, .ild files are the easiest and quickest way to share with EVERYONE no matter what system or software they run...

I've heard of LD2000 and Showtime, maybe I need to look into those, it's just I keep hearing so much about what LSX can do and how mind blowing and easy it is to create great graphics shows... That's kinda where my head is right now; I am desperately wanting to get into animation for lasers right now...

sure. no problem!

it is important to note that pangolin's LD2K does allow ilda export for unprotected shows, but qs and beyond do not. i have sold LSX abstracts to a few laser show companies to add to their pangolin timelines, so ilda export is important to me.

all laser show packages have advantages and disadvantages. pick what works for you and keep an open mind about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrationsOfDoom View Post
    Swamidog, thanks for posting that, it sums up EXPERTLY what I meant and probably should have said instead... The only option for me with Pangolin is to buy an earlier version of their software that allows this... Hey, I understand perfectly protecting their content, but stuff I make? And as you have seen from the arcade laser show I created, .ild files are the easiest and quickest way to share with EVERYONE no matter what system or software they run...

I've heard of LD2000 and Showtime, maybe I need to look into those, it's just I keep hearing so much about what LSX can do and how mind blowing and easy it is to create great graphics shows... That's kinda where my head is right now; I am desperately wanting to get into animation for lasers right now...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I looked into LD2K... DAMN that thing is EXPENSIVE!! Like 4000 dollars!?!??! Makes their other software look dirt cheap by comparison... Couldn't find Showtime though, they made mention of it on their website but I can't seem to find it; though it's probably expensive as well... LD2K is WAAAY out of my price range, damn I could buy a few top notch projectors for that!! Looks like LSX wins, hands down (lol)...

Just out of curiosity, are there any OTHER laser software programs? I think someone mentioned something about Phoenix or something, I don't remember...

LD2K starts at 1495$ with a very good dac.

I looked into LD2K... DAMN that thing is EXPENSIVE!! Like 4000 dollars!?!??! Makes their other software look dirt cheap by comparison... Couldn't find Showtime though, they made mention of it on their website but I can't seem to find it; though it's probably expensive as well... LD2K is WAAAY out of my price range, damn I could buy a few top notch projectors for that!! Looks like LSX wins, hands down (lol)...

Just out of curiosity, are there any OTHER laser software programs? I think someone mentioned something about Phoenix or something, I don't remember...

I think someone mentioned something about Phoenix or something, I don't remember...
    Phoenix was purchased by Pangolin.

My only beef with LSX is the response time from the vendor. I don't like to speak anything bad about Andrew because I have always gotten great service from him but several people here have gone weeks and sometimes even months without any communication. LSX is good stuff but a steep learning curve. Swami and CMB have a pretty extensive thread going about using it. CMB even has a youtube channel about it. Other software out there is Mamba Black. Good stuff, but it sure ain't cheap. You might want to check out Spaghetti. Gary has put a lot of work into it.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    LD2K starts at 1495$ with a very good dac.
    Actually, for $1495 you get Beyond, with a choice of either the FB3 or a QM2K. If you choose the QM2K you can also run LD2K and ST2K. If you go the QM2K route, you can export from Beyond to LD2K format, then export as ILDA. Not really sure why anyone would want to export to ILDA though, it really is a worthless format, in my opinion. I remember when Bill introduced the QM2K back in 1999, prior to that I used the QM32. Because of the support and quality of product, there will always be a QM2K in my arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Actually, for $1495 you get Beyond, with a choice of either the FB3 or a QM2K. If you choose the QM2K you can also run LD2K and ST2K. If you go the QM2K route, you can export from Beyond to LD2K format, then export as ILDA. Not really sure why anyone would want to export to ILDA though, it really is a worthless format, in my opinion. I remember when Bill introduced the QM2K back in 1999, prior to that I used the QM32. Because of the support and quality of product, there will always be a QM2K in my arsenal.
    +1 ILDA is pretty limited. I understand it is universal, but in all... it is limited.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.