Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: are video projectors replacing laser projectors for graphics?

Default can video projectors replace laser projectors for graphic shows?

EDIT: Answer: yes, definitely.
    Unless you need very very large cover area or project very far (>80 meters), video projectors all the way, baby.
    Last edited by solidude; 04-28-2016 at 14:15.

Bright doesn't equal contrast and sharpness.
    Remember raster graphics are different (which are of video projectors).. they have a resolution while vector graphics do not as it's mathimatical coordinates.

One of the most striking differences is the infinite contrast ratio with laser vector graphics.

Try to project a logo on a wall 100 meters away with a video projector and you'll see by yourself.

Video mapping and lasers will never outperform each other, it`s like Lights and pyros , it`s 2 different effects. but they work like hell together
    I have done several shows, where I do the lasers (mostly beams) and there is one Video DJ performing 3D video mapping on white walls around the scene.

btw, I want to learn how to do the video mapping, it`s awesome effect and I already have a video projector.
    I dont know what software that can be used to split up the screen into different areas (like pangolin can project different screens with one laser)

The problem is with video projectors you'd have to get out the proper lenses and the sharpness wont be as good on a varying surface.
    Personally I'm a bigger fan of laser graphics then video projections.
    Less common, more unique

Apples and oranges - no winner.
    Those Epsons are nice. A little pricey. If the human eye can see a candle from a mile away, can it not also detect the difference between 1,000,000:1 and infinite contrast ratio?
    Other desirable attributes of laser:
    The laser is in focus at any distance.
    The laser vector graphic projector's total light output can be concentrated into a single pixel or "beam".

You will see that you have the choice between a small laser projector weighting 20kg, or one or several video projector weighting 200kg each, costing 100k$, which needs its own electrical plant, and 4 peoples to carry it

Quote Originally Posted by solidude View Post
    Sorry, what will I see for myself?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9S7iXO6Ng
    8:55

I never told you that a laser projector would be able to do this, I just spoke about long range logo projection.

About the technical things, have a look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TNyICoTUc
    You will see 4 guys carrying projectors by stairs up to the top of the building

Please check this video again, starting at 9:24: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9S7iXO6Ng
    I doubt that even several laser projectors with Pangolin's Saturn scanners or similar could do that.

Sorry, what will I see for myself?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9S7iXO6Ng
    8:55
    With 3D mapping there's often more than 1 projector and they aren't consumer or small business models!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    You will see that you have the choice between a small laser projector weighting 20kg, or one or several video projector weighting 200kg each, costing 100k$, which needs its own electrical plant, and 4 peoples to carry it
    +1.

That said, it's horses for courses. In my opinion, for video, you can't beat projection as the scanning resolution is there and there's no doubt projection mapping is very impressive. For bright outline graphics or beams, laser still is the better option.