Thread: 445-450 nm Single mode diodes, 80-200 mW...5.6 mm can

Default 445-450 nm Single mode diodes, 80-200 mW...5.6 mm can

I need a 5.6 mm diode package around 450 nm but it has to be single mode to be used in a grating stabilized diode laser. Current needs to be 300 mA or less. Does anyone have single transverse mode diodes like this? not 3.8 mm.....5.6 mm. Thanks, Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Hi Phil,

3.8mm single mode 450 diodes are available here:
    120mW 3.8mm PL450B
    https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf...m-pl450-diodes

i'm not sure that i've ever seen a 5.6 version. can you adapt the mount?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Yep don't think any companies are producing any 5.6mm single mode blue diodes.

Thanks DTR, no wonder I am having a hard time finding them... What abiout adaptors to slide the 3.8 mm can in and have it snug into a 5.6 mm mount? Does anyone have machined copper ones? Is there a ready made heat removing solution? Phil

I have not seen an adapter. What are you trying to fit these diodes in? Not possible to change out the heatsink to fit 3.8mm diodes?

Into a Sony grating stabilized diode laser we are converting from 405 nm to 450 nm, no not easy. Need adaptor...aluminum or better yet copper. Thanks for trying to help. Phil

Might be time to find an old penny and a Dremel...

These are pretty close, but you'd still have to spend some quality time with some sandpaper and a round file for fitting:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#98044a212/=tgqm8g

If you have super-deep pockets and can go to 488, there is a 5.6mm 488 diode for a little shy of $4K.

http://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct....er=L488P060MLD

It's probably 100x cheaper to pay someone to file down a penny.

Hahahahahaha! We have a machine shop but the part is so small... Phil

Well, I would put a stack of copper washers on a bolt, tape them together, chuck them in the lathe, remove the bolt, and use a small round file while turning them in the lathe to get the inside where you want it. Then clamp them between the bolt head and a nut, remove the tape, chuck the bolt in the lathe, and use a bastard file and 60 or 100 grit sandpaper to get the outside where you want it. You won't be able to get all the way up to the first or last washer in the stack, but if you stack 10, you should end up with 4 or 5 the right size, and 1 or 2 should be the right thickness of the diode baseplate. This would be a delicate hand operation, so it will take some time but not a lot of exotic equipment. Other than that... not sure what your options are.

Good luck!