Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok, all you smart people...

Good tip! Is this test pattern on the ftp server?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Ok, you cannot measure output using an FB3. So your power drop is entirely consistent with what I would expect to see when using an FB3 to test power.

The BEST way to test power if you must us an FB3 is to display the LaserMedia test pattern with a size of zero in both axis. This pattern has the most 'on' time.

Doing it this way, you can get to within about 5% of max power compared to using an actual 5vdc mod signal. If you know the difference before you start then you can factor this in. But the FB3 is incapable of providing a constant 5V so is not really suitable for power testing. I believe the QM can do this somehow, although I seem to recall its a special mode or switch or something.

That aside, buy an ILDA Gem. I got one recently and it's made checking stuff just SOOOO straightforward, and I don't have to set up all my kit in order to work on a projector.

P.S. This is laser 101
    P.P.S. This is the Help section for forum issues, bugs, etc....
    P.P.S. I had an all nighter on Saturday and didn't get home til 11am Sunday, so this is my cranky day, expect it to get worse as the hours pass....
    This space for rent.

No idea, it's one of the standard ones in QS/Beyond though
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Have you checked to ensure you haven't left a BAM in place since SELEM?

Easier said than done and would explain the issue.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i also bought a kvant 640.

very expensive. the first one blew the driver. the second one blew two diodes.

i'm not too happy about that.. anyone know where i can get a good high powered red (~1.5W)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Very good memory, Swami. Although mine was actually in the BT500.

A third of the cost of this projector was the Kvant 640nm. Keep in mind this was pre- Mitsu "Holy Grail" thread days and at the time the "best out there" was $3,2000. I got smacked in the face with the cost of this hobby pretty early in the game!

No, it's not going to Marc...yet. Ultimately I'll have to deal with him about it... and a number of other things.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Have you checked to ensure you haven't left a BAM in place since SELEM?

Easier said than done and would explain the issue.
    It's had various computers hooked up to it so, regrettably no, that wouldn't be the issue.

i also bought a kvant 640.

very expensive. the first one blew the driver. the second one blew two diodes.

i'm not too happy about that.. anyone know where i can get a good high powered red (~1.5W)?
    Ouch. Yeah, the Kvant red has been troubling. Back when we thought there could be an internal alignment issue, I was seeing (and photographed) a distinct = on the face of the dichro and, on the wall, it really looked like it could be two beams. Yet at SELEM recently (and subsequent to that), I am getting a decent looking projection from it. The whole thing has been a bit puzzling. But.... odd problems seem to be what I excel at having sometimes. And don't say, "It's the operator." damnit... I know at least a little bit about this stuff!

Even the new Kvant reds are specced at only 2,000 hours. The reds were first... you'd think they'd have gotten better at them by now.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...170#post295170

anybody check the power supply to make sure the lasers are getting enough juice?

Lightbulb

Hey Chief -

OK, well.. Here's Dr. Gringo's dos centavitos..

First, sure.. +1 for what 'kecked' says ..though, I don't think they *necessarily* all would 'respond the same' (loss in power..) if the base-line Voltage powering them was down, since they are different Manuf'x /drivers .. IF they were all, say Kv-modules, using virtially-identical Drivers, then I might say 'ya, that could easily be the culprit'... Plus, don't they each have their own, 'dedicated' / AC-powered driver-boxes (at least the DHOMs..) vs all-being driven by a 'common' DC-supply? Lettuce know, and Yes, if they do-all 'share' a DC drive-supply, then take kecked's advice, check that, as your first-order task..

Second, I know it sounds crazy, but have you actually taken a peek at the actual *Laser-module apertures* - Not the 'Pj-aperture', but the indi-apertures? I've serviced Pjs for fellas that were complaining of 'low power', and - besides the really-obvious 1/4" of dust on their dichros (..which I know you said you've checked / cleaned..) they not-only had 'fog-caked' Laser-aperture windows - all of them - but, one even had a nice 'Spider-web lattice' across the port! Talk about 'operating in oblivion'.. Anyhoo, I would check that, also...

Third (..and, in my-mind, most-probable for an 'across all 3-sources-loss'..) please check for me how the ILDA-in is *wired*.. If, in fact, each Color-line, is wired with it's R-, G- and B- *vs* the 'lazier / sloppier' method of tying all those 'returns', to ILDA Pin 25 'Ground'.. Yeah, I know they 'essentially all go to the same-place', but..

..IF, for example, that Pin 25 has a 'cold' solder joint, or is 'dodgy' - or - somewhere, in the 'speaker wire' ..just teasin'... lines, returning each modules' Modu-return, to that 'ground', if there's a 'nick in the wire' / or, in some way is 'leaking' / arcing to the case, or anywhere else, well.. Even if you're 'pumping a nice, hot 5V into each module / driver, if it can't 'properly get back home' / is getting 'hijacked' by some case-short, etc, along the way, well.. There ya go.. 3x lasers, 'down on power'.. It could also explain the 'seemingly transient-nature' of the issue (sometimes it seems 'worse than others'..) that's how a 'loose' / bad / cold-joint / case-short/leak can manifest..

..Now, IF the ILDA DB25 *was*, indeed, wired 'correctly' (imho.. with each Color-line tied, also, to it's corresponding return (-) then I might suspect / check the wiring *to* those color-lines / returns, to/from each Laser-module.. ie: if a 'distro-bus' / terminal-strip of any sort was-employed, that would be my next-suspect..

You can see 'what those are' / should be, via this Diag. (..Yes, this is a map for reconciling the 'NEOS PCAOM-driver Pin-out disparity > ILDA, but, the 'Pango-defined' color-lines on the ILDA-side are all there / correct, on the right-hand column..) http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...8&d=1368676419 ..*That's* how the DB25 should-be wired, 'for best Color'.. (..again, imho..

..So, I'd recommend doing 'this much homework', first, and then we can go from there..

Re: the 'Red issues'..

...Back when we thought there could be an internal alignment issue, I was seeing (and photographed) a distinct = on the face of the dichro and, on the wall, it really looked like it could be two beams.
    ..Do this: Regardless of the 'above' issues, take a full(est as you can..)-power red beam, and, post-pj window, put a 'plano convex' lens in front of it.. That's just a 'plain ol' magnifying lens'-lens, ie: |) ..any one should do.. Then, look at the 'output', on a wall.. That should give you a 'portrait' of a) how many 'indie-diodes' is in the array / roughly how they're 'arranged', and b) IF any of them look 'dimmer than the other(s)', well, then there you go - you've got one (or more..) bunk diodes, in the array...

ie: this example I comped-up awhile back, showing how each line in the 'Compact 8', from RGB Lasersystems, looks 'blown up'... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...8&d=1280309684

..Of course, this doesn't (necessarily..) account for *all* the modules being 'down', but.. If you do this on the other colors, as-well, and, lo and behold, they each look 'funky' / clearly messed, well.. I'd call: 'maybe someone dropped the sh* out of yer projector'...

...No, I don't have an ILDA Gem. It's been something I've thought about ...
    I'll be happy to ship you mine, as a quickie loaner, if that helps.. I made up a nice lil' box for it.. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...0&d=1331295679 ..with nice 'paddles', to pre-power-select the Scan-rate (12 / 18 / 30K) of the quadrature-scan, and access-ports for each of the color-lines.. there's also a 'scan-kill' sw. on the far-side, there, so you can *just* have color-output, and no-scans, when testing for this very-thing. Or, sure, you can just 'cock the ILDA-in to one side'..

..And / or, I'll be happy to build-one up, for ya.. Just have good ol' Rob send it to me, and I'll knock it out.. I've still got that 'box-cutout' template at-hand.. And, I *promise* it won't take 3 yrs.. And of course, no charge.. Pretty-sure I owe ya a few favors.. ...But, 'ILDA Gem' is-right.. Indispensible-tool for RGB-owners.. Sir Rob really did a 5-Star job on those..

Anyhoo, lettuce know what ya find, when you get the chance to do this 'homework'.. Oh, and PS - '..You've got mail!' (pm)..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 09-09-2014 at 20:42. Reason: sp / forgot somethin..
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Brad, I wouldn't worry too much about the = pattern. It's just the way it is due it being 6 beams stacked together. I can see each of my diodes clearly in 2 rows of 3 on the face of the dichros. The beam is great once divergence has done its thing and they start to blend together with a bit of range.
    Frikkin Lasers

P.S. Rob sell the gem in a nice box now so no need to faff around building one
    Frikkin Lasers