Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEST Your laser safety IQ--

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

How about number 5... The type of lasing media determines the wavelength. True/false? You mean you can't have a diode laser and a gas laser that both happen to have a line at the same wavelength?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    How about number 5... The type of lasing media determines the wavelength. True/false? You mean you can't have a diode laser and a gas laser that both happen to have a line at the same wavelength?
    Yes you can, but in each case the wavelength is determined by the active medium.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok, that was a brain fart. Duh. I must have been thinking a wavelength could only be produced by certain media. I took the test at like 6 am in bed before the first cup of coffee this morning.

3 wrong, but one was #18 the Penn State Department of Laser Safety, which I had no possible way of knowing. Also got # 23 wrong - I said TRUE, eyeware allows safe laser radiation viewing. As soon as I clicked enter I thought about how I cannot see the beam when wearing eye glasses.

Overall very happy with my results. Hopefully everyone who takes the quiz will validate their safety knowledge and/or learn something new. Taking the quiz can only have positive effects on overall laser safety.
    Eric in New Orleans

21 out of 25 correct ie 4 wrong.

Pleased with that result.

I felt this quiz , no matter what, was a good find-(not done by me BTW)
    It is geared towards the UPENN laser safety courses-- so yeah- regional--

BUt I dont consider the ones i missed to be worded wrong-- and I can accept the blame--for missing them..

will some one please make up a math question(s) like one(s) we might get taking the LSO exam-

I would greatly appreciate that--asap
    post it here or PM me

THANKS___hk

PS

Those who have not yet taken this will do better after reading all the comments-N/P just sayin' expect some to do better then we did... I will amend the OP.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Question 4 depends on the laser, does it not?!

I missed only two, not because I'm an expert, but because I'm good at taking tests.

Great test! thanks for posting it Hakzaw.
    I missed 4 questions. One was the cryogenic question. I cannot believe I missed that one. =) Ive been working with Liquid Helium, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen since my teenage years. =P
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Got 5 wrong answers. Pleased with that, and all the correct answers are because of reading here at PL. The test was US specific, and a couple of the wrong answers were about US regulations. 2 wrong answers because i did not read the question properly, (Lack of english skills), and one wrong when it comes to how electricity behaves in vaccuum. (I guess that is how my head works :-) )

Overall - pleased with that.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Ok I found another quiz--from Coherant- just 10Qs and they leave finding the answers for us via the vids they give-

So ATM I have no key for the answers- which btw are not designated by a letter like answer A or B or C etc-

so here is the 'deal' add letter to the answers- take the quiz- copy your answers THEN see the vids as i have been told all answers are easy to find in the vids( not had the time to see them myself, yet)

In an attempt to 'Educmaycate' myself and others at the pointy forum I have started a LSO geared thread-and am about half way finished- I will add both these tests/quizes/& links to that thread and any PL member who can spare the time PLEASE let me know of any mistakes you read 'over' there..

you may also find the stuff at laserpointersafety.com very interesting & I have an on-going thread about that also at LPF--its placed in the Welcome section in hopes all new members(especially) will read and heed-- see the punishments given out for their stoopid moves-

one guy(usa) got 8 years and his GF got 2yrs - both had other pentalties like 50 hrs of no -pay work- etc--some got banned for life from owning any lasers ever again etc-

I am hopeful that my efforts and those of others just may keep a few from getting into trouble -- i do NOT , however, feel sorry for any of them.

They(lpf)seem to think thier love for lasers will trump any laws-- afaik there is NO 'bill of rights' for laser pointer owners-- some thought that if they were legal to own they are legal to shine everywhere at night--duh! and many over there hand out very bad advice-- things like ' they can't prove it was your laser' and 'just be calm and collected' WTW?
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-