Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ildaGen - ILDA file creation tool

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Gitle,
    After installing V0.9.4 it crashes on launch - doesn't even render the main window (WinXP 32-bit); I'm not sure why...
    Regards,
    Dan
    Hm. Might be because it is now supposed to pop up a question at startup whether or not you want to enable update checking. I recompiled it without that popup, making update checking enabled by default. Try redownloading and installing again and let me know if it works now..

A bit OT, but XP is a terribly insecure OS. Please avoid connecting it to the internet, or try looking for an upgrade path if at all possible. I understand there are legacy systems that require it sometimes, but the risks remain and increase daily nonetheless.

I've just download the latest build; it still doesn't load.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I've just download the latest build; it still doesn't load.

Can you give more detail on what happens? How exactly does it crash? Does an error message pop up, if so what does it say?

It is really hard to develop for XP, I don't have one to test it on and it is a very old OS with many obsolete frameworks. I realize I can't ask you to upgrade your entire OS just to use this program, but you should consider doing so for other reasons as well, for example security as tribble explained. XP is not supported by microsoft anymore, so they are not fixing bugs or patching security flaws and I'd bet there are more relevant programs that does not work under XP but works for newer versions of windows than there are vice versa. Basically, it's really not recommended to use it, neither for business or personally.

But I can try making a special hotfix where I eliminate as many possible culprits as possible. Give me a few days..

Ok...version 9.4 installed...but after exporting with the .ild extension...I can't find the output file in the folder directed to.

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    Ok...version 9.4 installed...but after exporting with the .ild extension...I can't find the output file in the folder directed to.
    That's weird.. there aren't really anything different about the exporting mechanism in the two versions.. It may be an access restriction problem, maybe you are trying to save the file to an admin-restricted folder like "program files"? Try either or both saving the files to for example your documents folder or desktop, or right clicking the ildagen program and selecting "Run as administrator". Or maybe try checking whether your antivirus may have blocked the file from being created for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    Can you give more detail on what happens? How exactly does it crash? Does an error message pop up, if so what does it say?
    This is the message I get after double clicking on it:
    (As a version of VB Studio is installed) if this wasn't installed, I'd have just got the send/don't sent an error report.)

V0.9.0 - V0.9.3 worked, I don't know what changed in V0.9.4 to break it.
    I know XP is old, but I just grabbed one of our show laptops and installed it on that (as XP works really well with LD2000) all other non-show machines are Mac OS X.

Cheers,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hm, I see. Bugger that the error message wasn't more detailed..

However, I have some ideas. Even if I can't get it to work on XP I may be able to make the program platform independent, running in your web browser in HTML5! How cool would that be?
    Last edited by Grix; 10-06-2014 at 08:27.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Some people are already attempting that. Maybe you can bundle your knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    That's weird.. there aren't really anything different about the exporting mechanism in the two versions.. It may be an access restriction problem, maybe you are trying to save the file to an admin-restricted folder like "program files"? Try either or both saving the files to for example your documents folder or desktop, or right clicking the ildagen program and selecting "Run as administrator". Or maybe try checking whether your antivirus may have blocked the file from being created for some reason.
    Worked by exporting to desktop and new folder I created. Maybe a limit to files in folder. But works now. Thanks!
    Would suggest putting version in help file. I was confused until latest version installed with the new animation box.
    Program is awesome! Keep up the good work!