Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making 488 from 976 using nonlinear crystals

If anyone is interested, I have 4 of the DFB stabilized 976nm diode laser modules used in the Melles 488 lasers in the stash here. They've got the relay protection board attached so I can't see the exact model number, but if someone is interested, I'll open a package and find out.

Are these intra-cavity doubled or extra-cavity doubled? Is the only additional component required a nonlinear crystal such as BBO or is a cavity required as well?

PS. I am now deep into a pulsed dye project. The first video will be in a couple of days and so no time now for a review of the DPSS.

Hey Sir P -- I wouldn't mind seeing that vid of the LS pumped yellow dye again .. do you have that link handy? What's the new dye project if I dare to ask ??

Here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAYxfsHyVSA

The world record for a dye laser pulse is 400J. I can't find any reference to a higher pulse energy. I recently converted a small medical dye laser (the next video) and am now upgrading it. If successful then I'll upgrade it again and just maybe...

10W of lemon-yellow aaaahhghhhhh .......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homer drool.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	44941

That looks so much better than red+green mixed imho ..

Name:	lemon yellow.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	44942

Thanks for the link Sir Planters. Awe inspiring.

Now on to breaking the world record. Set the bar high for yourself much ??

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I'm waiting for the gap between 532 and 638 to be filled. This is a huge spread and if addressed the whole 532 vs 520 debate becomes moot.
    OPSL. This is 10W @ 577nm.

Name:	UV99-577.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	44943

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the gold line from copper vapor lasers is very beautiful (578.2), but it's useless for anything but beams.

Name:	pic00033.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	44944

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    OPSL. This is 10W @ 577nm.

Name:	UV99-577.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	44943
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Comparing your dye laser to the LS600's I've worked with, I noticed that you removed the BRF from the dye cavity. My understanding is that the BRF narrows the gain region and allows the wavelength to be tuned to some extent. I always wanted to try pulling it to see what happens. Are you getting a broad output spectrum? Is this with the LS standard dye pack or did you mix your own?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAYxfsHyVSA

The world record for a dye laser pulse is 400J. I can't find any reference to a higher pulse energy. I recently converted a small medical dye laser (the next video) and am now upgrading it. If successful then I'll upgrade it again and just maybe...

Still working on a test harness for these, but the one I removed from the relay board seems to be working. They are Bookham (Oclaro) LC95A76ULR-20R which are rated to make 300mW. I've also contacted Alphalas and am awaiting a quote for a kit of parts including the PP-KTP to build a 488nm laser using these diodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    If anyone is interested, I have 4 of the DFB stabilized 976nm diode laser modules used in the Melles 488 lasers in the stash here. They've got the relay protection board attached so I can't see the exact model number, but if someone is interested, I'll open a package and find out.

Junktronix,

I pulled the BRF because I wanted the gain bandwidth to OPTIMALLY overlap the custom optics I got from CVI. The output coupler has a partial reflectance that is unavoidably broad ie it is about the same at 560nm and 590nm. I let the dye and cavity find the highest gain wavelength. This can be adjusted to some extent by altering the concentration of dye, but when maximum power is the target the optimal concentration is then again limited. You keep adding concentrate (I mix my own) until the power stops increasing. The result ended up right at the 575nm I was looking for (I was a little lucky here), but I would have been happy at 585 and 565. The maximum output for the system at 575nm is 20W.