Thread: Bad experience w/eBay seller "cables-n-peripherals" on Lightwave Electronics Halfnote

Default Bad experience w/eBay seller "cables-n-peripherals" on Lightwave Electronics Halfnote

I just wanted to let every one know about a bad experience I just had with an ebay seller called "cables-n-peripherals". I won an auction for a Lightwave Electronics Halfnote 2.5w 532nm laser head but it was a wreck when I received it. And there's no way it could have been shipping damage.

The only thing the ad said about its condition really was that it was 'tested-working" . When I received mine I was shocked to find the cover over the head loose, Its o'ring gasket sticking out from under it, and something rolling around loose inside the head. I then removed the cover and to my even greater shock: The pump diode, cavity and rod, The crystals and heaters and all the optics were missing. The only thing inside were the optics mounts and a loose screw rolling around.

The seller claims he knew nothing about it being that way. Before I even received it he had assured me via email (ebay messaging) in response to some questions I had for him, that the cover had never been removed and there was no problems with its functionality.

He says he will exchange it or refund my money but not the shipping charges and he expects me to pay to ship it back to him. I really dont understand this and wont speculate though I will say I won the auction for an extremely low amount considering the going price for a good one. He has good feedback and a lot of sales, so I don't know. I currently have a claim open with paypal because I have no intentions of trying another one from him, he's not keeping the shipping charges, and Im not paying to return the carcass to him.

Just wanted to pass that on for what its worth as he still has one up for sale and claims to be in possesion of a lot more.

Stick to your guns on this and sdon't accept a 'deal' from them. that is likely how they keep bad feedback off their account. Although I don't necessarilly agree with ebay's policy of generally finding the buyer always right, in this case it should ensure you get sorted out.
    If ebay DO find in your favour, it will be interesting to see if they do pay the shipping for the return. This will give you a good indication whether they value the 'husk' greatly or not.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I can't remember what info you can supply in support of your claim as it's a long time since I opened a dispute.

However, I'd research some photos of what the laser should look like, inside and out using google images, and then take photos showing what the laser does looks like inside and out next to the packaging, and try to supply these to ebay.

I think fundamentally its not as described. There is no way it can have been tested as working if the diode source isn't present, no matter what level of optimism you have.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks for the support guys. It means a lot. I will round up some photos of what its supposed to be like...just in case. And yeah i dont plan on settling for onedime less than I've got in the whole deal. Its just fundamentaly wrong to expect the buyer to cover any of the cost in a mess like this. Even if the seller wasn't aware of its condition, its still his "mistake" and responsibility.

And I'm still getting screwed because what I really wanted was a working halfnote for the good deal I got on it. But I just have to short a Temper and too little trust left in the seller to deal with what id have to go thru to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    …There is no way it can have been tested as working if the diode source isn't present, no matter what level of optimism you have.
    I like your way of putting things norty. Good one

Ok. I can wrap this up now. The seller finally agreed to pay the shipping for returning the laser carcass to him, and I got a full refund including the shipping charges i paid to receive it. Guess I'll dream on about that powerful green laser. But at least i got all my money back.
    Last edited by Luthervan; 11-05-2014 at 20:25. Reason: addition

I'm glad you got out OK. ebay has incompetents and crooks as much as knowledgeable and honest persons.
    One person doing the selling, another grabbing things off shelves without knowledge, and doing the shipping -honest but messy when the junk unit is shipped!

I am suspicious unless I know the seller.

Do not let it drag on, and be careful and professionally direct because after some time 30-or 90 days you lose the right to complain further or to leave negative feedback.

Be careful of laser parts on ebay, it is a good place to pay a lot for mismatched parts and plain old scrap. There are reasons I stay away from YAG rods - is it doped for CW or flash? what spectrum of flash? Questions sellers don't answer very well. I stay away from some of those aluminum cased RF excited CO2 units. Tampered screws and broken seals never show up in the pictures very well, for some reason.
    It is the will of Landru.