Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are FlexMod P3's still available or is there an equivalent that is ready to ship?

What? An African or European Swallow?

DrLava/Innolasers won my suppression option P3 order. Thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    ...On another note, what is the attraction for buying a 2 channel LD controller when RGB is a threesome?...
    Before 520nm green LD's, we were all using 532nm DPSS for green. With the 532nm DPSS green having it's own modulated driver w/TEC, a two channel driver was useful for the red and blue LD's.
    Remember PL member "Badpip" from Denmark? I really liked his drivers. They were 2 and 4 channels with beam suppression, nice design and good price.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ivers-in-stock
    I used a 4 channel driver to make a RB module with two red and two blue LD's and it worked very well. Easy to set up, good analog modulation. But they are history now. Why doesn't someone just clone the P3's and satisfy the demand?

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Before 520nm green LD's, we were all using 532nm DPSS for green. With the 532nm DPSS green having it's own modulated driver w/TEC, a two channel driver was useful for the red and blue LD's.
    Remember PL member "Badpip" from Denmark? I really liked his drivers. They were 2 and 4 channels with beam suppression, nice design and good price.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ivers-in-stock
    I used a 4 channel driver to make a RB module with two red and two blue LD's and it worked very well. Easy to set up, good analog modulation. But they are history now. Why doesn't someone just clone the P3's and satisfy the demand?

Aaah, ha! Thanks Steve. I know, I wonder the same thing since there still is demand for the FM P3's and the parts count is really low.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

RE Px3 cloning.

Its simple:
    Because the 20 pin, Ball Grid Array, custom programmed, mixed signal chip in the middle of the board is one heck of a expensive obstacle to overcome.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I do wish Andrew would license to someone to make the drivers. It would be good for him and the rest of the world as well. I have to drop him a line. I have not chatted with him in some time. I bet the little one is not so little now an is walking.

Yeah i remember him, he still ows me 350 euro for a batch of drivers that i payed for. Vanished of the face of the earth and got stung because i had no drivers to mount on modules that needed to be finished for customers. Its like trying to deliver a car whithout having the wheels!!! Without parts no deliver and no payment!

He is a great guy but things got over his head. Apart from dave his driver and the damn flexmod that is sometimes available not much to choose from.New kids on the block are BBE and OPT.

I got sick and tired of it and went with a real company instead of a hobbyist. That reminds me of giving SBK a beer. He was right all allong

Oh well lived and learned. Lets see how long it takes before that "PL driver" come avaible and how long it stays

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Every time I look at making drivers it falls into a financial region where the profit is low. The economy of scale really doesn't apply. I'd have to support them, which really eats profit. There really is not a volume scale to sustain production unless you sell other items. You also have to "eat" a surprising amount of them that are killed by customers, to keep a good reputation.

. I've got a really cool design with a added current limiter to prevent diode death. However it would take only a few hours to clone. That is bad.

That is why I have NOT entered the market.

For example, Tonight I'm working on replacement 506 amps where the postal service lost them, etc. Needed makeup work to retain reputation.

Steve

Yeah i totally understand the situation. The hobbyist market want things " too cheap" and so there is hardy no profit to be able to provide service. Service cost money! I stopped selling kits because of this, it has to be dirt cheap and people still demand that you putt all your time and effort in it. A few years ago people had a budget of 3000 usd and there where quite a few people building projectors. Now people join the forum and their budget is 500usd. Imagine what the cost of a driver can be when that is the market you have to sell them. Chinese companies like eightonlight or goldenstar are not pushing the commercial lowend market down but it also killed the hobby market since its cheaper to buy a ready build one. How many builds do you see arround here nowadays? I bet you can count them on 1 hand!!! Its shame that things went that way since i can still remember Solarfire or Kitakitt his super clean build projectors aswell as SBK his quad kit!!!! Great projects where people where people where proud at their builds, those days are gone that,s for sure.......

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    RE Px3 cloning.

Its simple:
    Because the 20 pin, Ball Grid Array, custom programmed, mixed signal chip in the middle of the board is one heck of a expensive obstacle to overcome.

Steve
    And what is the mixed signal bga chip?

Really fast, house marked, self clocked part.

Steve