Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Default Windows 10

A stale old joke...

Why is 6 afraid of 7?

Because 7 8 9.

Yep, there's no 9- MS jumped from 8 to 10. I just loaded up the new trial moments ago and the first thing I noticed is that ye olde Start Menu looks more like the
    old days... Progress!

Honestly, I love Microsoft stuff. The only problem with them is the blunders. When they hit the right combination, they really do knock it out of the park. I don't think any other computer company can say that they have had a software that was as successful as WinXP. Seriously, 13 years of support. In the tech field, that is an eternity. The only thing that will save Microsoft, going forward, is for them to stop charging people to beta test their software! ME, Vista, 8.0............ you get the idea!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Rumor has it that a lot off old (ancient) software detected Windows 95 & 98 (SE) by detecting if the edition name started with "Windows 9". Then there could also be marketing/internationalization reasons to skip the number 9.

Not saying its perfect (far from it but software used at this scale never is) but there are quite a few decisions in the past that may seem odd at first but can be traced back to backward compatibility. You could probably still run a program from the NT4 days (unless it needs to talk to the hardware driver directly for example). This is its strength & weakness.

For now I keep running Win7 as it suits my needs.

If your missing the start menu then this is the answer.

http://www.classicshell.net

Another old Windows joke, Microsoft are creating a new OS that has the best of Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT. It will be named Windows CEMENT.

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8.1 with ClassicShell and an SSD. Boots to login in 4 seconds. Win 8 is fast!
    This space for rent.

It boots fast because it never shuts down all the way. That is why it takes forever when powering down. I also used classicshell and it gives some of functionality of Windows 7 to you but it mainly makes it look like Win7. I also didn't like the forcing of downloading apps from the Microsoft store. I would like to just go to netflix.com. I don't want a netflix app. Things like that. Great for tablets and other touch devices, very shitty for desktop use.

Quote Originally Posted by SrS View Post
    Rumor has it that a lot off old (ancient) software detected Windows 95 & 98 (SE) by detecting if the edition name started with "Windows 9". Then there could also be marketing/internationalization reasons to skip the number 9.
    I don't know how stupid a programmer would have to be to do that when there are version numbers available by API. So, I doubt that rumor is correct. Regardless, I doubt Microsoft would care enough to do that that since they don't even allow Visual Studio to run on Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    The only thing that will save Microsoft, going forward, is for them to stop charging people to beta test their software!
    How so? They have been offering free tech previews of their windows and visual studio products (ie beta versions) for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    How so? They have been offering free tech previews of their windows and visual studio products (ie beta versions) for years.
    It was a joke. People bought Windows ME, Vista and 8.*. Microsoft listened to the complaints and ME became XP, Vista became 7, and 8.* will become 10. For the record, I liked Vista but I also had a monster machine at the time that could handle it too. It didn't plague me all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    It was a joke. People bought Windows ME, Vista and 8.*. Microsoft listened to the complaints and ME became XP, Vista became 7, and 8.* will become 10. For the record, I liked Vista but I also had a monster machine at the time that could handle it too. It didn't plague me all that much.
    You CAN just go to Netflix.com if you want, btw. You don't have to use the Windows Store app.

Windows 10? Really? I'll just wait for Windows 14 or 15. It'll probably be available next year