Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looking to loose the ADAT FB3?

That cd2000 thing looks perfect. Laserboy I'd be violating my Pangolin license if I convert there frames to ilda.

I have not played with networking because the idea is to loose the desktop tether completely. What I need it looks like is FB3 and my laptop. I have never tried come to think of it if beyond will run on a laptop with no pangolin card present but my lic file present. Then I could program and playback just with the FB3.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    trying to control the entire laser market eh?

Who.... me?

if you get it bring it to SELEM I have always wanted one but will settle for fiddling with one
    It's in the works.

You don't need to convert them to ILDA.

You record them using an ADAT or similar DC coupled, 8 channel digital audio device and convert that to an 8 channel wave.

It isn't any different than using an ADAT like it always was since they started using them.

There is even an ADAT - ILDA hardware standard!

It just so happens that a modified 8 channel USB sound device (USB SND8) is an exact match for playing ADAT transcriptions.

This does not require the use of the LaserBoy app what-so-ever.

This is nothing more than the ability to record and playback the output of your current laser DAC.

Cuing individual show elements and grabbing the time slider to pause or drop in-to a time in the recording is the same as it is for any other audio tracks.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Laserboy I'd be violating my Pangolin license if I convert there frames to ilda
    Last edited by james; 12-08-2014 at 11:11.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

DZ makes an awesome little widget for realtime ilda->wave conversion. he also makes an excellent one to to from wave to ilda stream playback.

i would suggest this route over cheap modified sound cards.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    You don't need to convert them to ILDA.

You record them using an ADAT or similar DC coupled, 8 channel digital audio device and convert that to an 8 channel wave.

It isn't any different than using an ADAT like it always was since they started using them.

There is even an ADAT - ILDA hardware standard!

It just so happens that a modified 8 channel USB sound device (USB SND8) is an exact match for playing ADAT transcriptions.

This does not require the use of the LaserBoy app what-so-ever.

This is nothing more than the ability to record and playback the output of your current laser DAC.

Cuing individual show elements and grabbing the time slider to pause or drop in-to a time in the recording is the same as it is for any other audio tracks.

James.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Here we go again.....

The "cheap modified sound cards" aren't as good as [whatever].

We can't tell you how or why.

They just aren't!

All I can say is try it for yourself.

It's a mature, well-used, well-known solution.

And it is absolutely the most portable, since it works in any OS.

It's a single USB device that runs off of USB power.

You do need to "normalize" your record-playback scheme, so you get the proper peak voltages out of each channel.

You can digitally normalize your multi-channel wave information in Audacity and tweak the Correction Amp for uniform performance.

James.
    Last edited by james; 12-08-2014 at 12:16.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

sure we can:

1) quality of dsp
    2) quality of layout
    3) quality of board
    4) quality of shielding
    5) quality of drivers (if necessary)
    6) quality of components
    7) s/n ratio
    8) bandwidth
    9) noise floor

etc..

why don't you ask dz why he chose his dsp and board layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Here we go again.....

The "cheap modified sound cards" aren't as good as [whatever].

We can't tell you how or why!

They just aren't.

All I can say is try it.

It's a mature, well-used, well-known solution.

And it is absolutely the most portable, since it works in any OS.

James.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

But the point missed here is I still want to be able to load my shows in there native format. I want to be able to tweak pallets and geometric correction....Just want to not have to be tethered to my desktop and the ld2000 Pro card inside. I want to load my lds file and run it. No conversions or crazy stuff like that. If I want that I can dump to my hd24 and playback through my transcoder. Light simple easy. That is what I want. Looks like the cd2000 thing is ideal if I can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    But the point missed here is I still want to be able to load my shows in there native format. I want to be able to tweak pallets and geometric correction....Just want to not have to be tethered to my desktop and the ld2000 Pro card inside. I want to load my lds file and run it. No conversions or crazy stuff like that. If I want that I can dump to my hd24 and playback through my transcoder. Light simple easy. That is what I want. Looks like the cd2000 thing is ideal if I can find one.
    yes, if you can find it. the other potential solution is FB3/Beyond/and the lds player/editor code for Beyond.

Have you tried remote desktop with port replication? Or just a really long ilda cable?

I guess it's a matter of convenience, availability and affordability.

Do you want to have to get a laptop with a PCMCIA port and carry around an external 19 inch break-out box that requires its own AC power (echo Layla 24/96) or do you want to just use any laptop and carry around a single USB devices that plugs right into your projector?

BTW, there are other, more expensive USB 8 channel audio devices out there that can be similarly modified.

The USB SND8 just happens to be the most common and affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    sure we can:
    Who is "we" anyway?

Sounds a little too political to me.

James.
    Last edited by james; 12-08-2014 at 13:21.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials