Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looking to loose the ADAT FB3?

actually DZ doesn't use a Layla anymore (I would know since I own his modified Layla now )

his ADAT>ILDA ILDA>ADAT devices are pretty nice, with discrete AK DACs and such

along with a USB>ADAT dongle it's a pretty powerful device...

sound card dacs are ok for most users here and their low cost makes entry to the laser show world very inexpensive which is great... I would not use it in a paid gig but hell I still use mine a lot to mess around (although it's been starting to flake out lately) but even a modified layla is a step up (as are DZ's boxes)

Well I hope you would agree that the fact that your sound card DAC is getting flaky has nothing to do with the overall idea and design.

It's just a matter that yours is somehow effected.

I'm sure it could be fixed.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

obviously, I am just saying a $20 USB sound card with a correction amp attached is not going to perform at the same level that a piece of pro audio gear will (like a layla) or a real laser dac

but like I said even if it isn't the "ideal" or best setup that does not make it invalid or useless, it's just another tool available...

just because Lamborghinis exist doesn't mean the world doesn't need Toyotas

Yep. And like anything else, an audio DAC solution has its criteria.

The USB SND8 sound device is a generic device that can be purchased anywhere in the world computer peripherals are sold.

And they are all pretty much the same thing.

There is absolutely nothing special about it. That's what makes it so special.

James.
    Last edited by james; 12-08-2014 at 17:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Yep. And like anything else, an audio DAC solution has its criteria.

The USB SND8 sound device is a generic device that can be purchased anywhere in the world computer peripherals are sold.

And they are all pretty much the same thing.

There is absolutely nothing special about it. That's what makes it so special.

James.

pretty much, the fact you can build a capable laser output device for very little money using a $20 usb sound card that I can go buy locally is pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    sure we can:

1) quality of dsp
    2) quality of layout
    3) quality of board
    4) quality of shielding
    5) quality of drivers (if necessary)
    6) quality of components
    7) s/n ratio
    8) bandwidth
    9) noise floor

etc..

why don't you ask dz why he chose his dsp and board layouts.
    The only part of the "LaserBoy DAC" that I had anything do to with is the current "Correction Amp" kit that I offer.

I can assure you that the layout, board quality, components, etc... (2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9) is as good as it could possibly be.

It uses TLO72 op-amps; the most commonly used op-amp in analog signal devices on Earth.

I'm glad you have faith in DZ's abilities. You have no reason to doubt mine.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    why don't you ask dz why he chose his dsp and board layouts.
    in all fairness there are not that many available chips for lightpipe>individual stereo pairs of data l/r clock etc

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    in all fairness there are not that many available chips for lightpipe>individual stereo pairs of data l/r clock etc
    absolutely true.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

It's a shame there isn't more cooperation and less competition in the space where laser signals become PCM digital audio.

I've been working in that space for almost 12 years.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's a shame there isn't more cooperation and less competition in the space where laser signals become PCM digital audio.

I've been working in that space for almost 12 years.

James.
    Really? James, I was excited that asked me to help with the new correction amp layout a while back. It was unfortunate that you had no interest in any of my ideas to help improve the product....

flecom, swamidog, thank you for the kind comments, it's very much appreciated!