Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Intelligent Lighting 101 tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    4096 should suffice. I can do without all 8192.

http://store.prolightingsupply.com/g...8KzRoC5Kfw_wcB
    BUT -

Can it pop balloons?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Grr... I've been spending a couple days looking at this and banging my head a bit.

I've been trying to watch Youtube tutorials and figure out what to do. I've been messing with some things I already have such as a USB to DMX dongle and some software such as Daslight and Easy Standalone and the Sunlight Suite. And something called Disco with the Entec box. And Quickshow's basic DMX functions with the Entec Box. And watching videos on Chauvet's Showexpress. And then opening the Chamsys PC program thing and then glazing over completely.

From what I'm seeing, a proper lighting desk is nothing like a typical DMX controller. I feel like terminology is different, theoretical operation is different, "I don't get it!" different. It's a bit like using all the Pangolin software and understanding it but then... feeling forced to try and figure out LSX.

I want to do the right thing as suggested by Norty - mainly because I respect and value his opinion and, I don't want him to shake his head thinking that pathetic, stupid 'merican just doesn't get it but.... I'm at least grasping the Showexpress videos and part of me really wants to buy one for the $449 to try. I feel like it can perhaps handle my basic needs. By the same token, I keep looking at the Elation Show Designer 2 and thinking... ok, it's a desk. It has an effects engine. I can afford it or at least finance it (and currently get it for 15% off) but... I still don't "understand" it. I keep thinking it's overkill for just a handful of lights but, we keep coming back to the fact that a proper lighting desk can make even cheap lights look a thousand times better and I know it's the "right" thing to do. But.... maybe the Elation ISN"T the right one. There's other desks and I don't think buying 3 or 4 or 5 at (multiple) thousands just to try each makes much sense either.

Moving heads are just an "add on" to what I do with the lasers and if I keep buying more expensive gear I need to try and recoup my money from, it won't happen unless I raise prices which may result in less sales. Oh, the dilemma.

Solving world peace just seems much easier.

Daslight, Easy Standalone and Sunlite Suite are all crap in my opinion, they bear little resemblance to real controllers and you will hate yourself trying to use them properly.
    Keep the Enttec box and download Chamsys MagicQ, which is the same software used in their pro consoles that run many many big shows out there today.
    There are good video tutorials and info on how to learn programming with Chamsys.
    There is unfortunately no good middle ground lighting controller in my opinion that is full featured, easy to use and inexpensive.

I agree that Daslight, Easy Stand Alone and Sunlite are basically crap. Show Express appears to be much better but that's the difference between free and $449 or $799

I have downloaded MagicQ and have opened it on occasion as I mentioned, and I've tried to watch some tutorial videos but, it's just not registering with my feeble brain yet.

Brad. I was a lighting guy for some years and it still took about 8 hours to click on MagicQ. Maybe a phone call and a internet screen sharing app can do the basics for you?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

We may be able to set that up. I use LogMeIn to access my work computer from home so, I can put the ChamSys software on there with the Entec box and try to figure out a convenient time. It won't be for at least a week though. In the interim, I'm trying to get my Entec box to "talk" to Quickshow and Beyond but no luck... see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqrb-jH2V3c

TBH, use a proper lighting controller for your lighting, just like it's better to use a laser controller for the lasers.
    Re: phone call, can you screen share on Skype or is that just premium?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I don't know. What I figured I would do is just let you log on to my computer using LogMeIn and I can follow your mouse movements etc.

I agree and am seeing the need for a physical desk. However, there are some DMX cues that I want to get created and set up in Quickshow so they can simply be programmed into the laser show timeline.

We solved the issue I was having with the Entec box talking with Quickshow. It was a COM port issue but, everything seems to be working finally.

You make cues or scenes, a chase a a set of cues one after another in time or manually stepped through in time with the music.
    on a real console each cue can contain a set of changes such as intensity that you can have with another cue with different parameters, such as color to build up more complex looks while being able to swap between these different sub looks ie: something like:

Fader 1 instensity/intensity chases : fader 2 colors (usually a set of warm and cool scenes/chases ) : fader 3 mover positions/chases : fader 4 gobo combos/chases : etc
    Each fader is usually a "playback" which can include a stack of static cues or a stack or mix of chases. you can include effects engine stuff usually too, ie a fader with nothing but moves generated from the FX engine (if you think the FX engine is cheating you are an elitist)
    Fader 10: Atomic 2000 blinder for when the beat drops (ha ha or grab the handles if ur on an Avolites desk)

Have some static scenes to start with, a normal all white omg we need some light on stage look is a good one to start with since when work lights go out ur the one lighting the stage
    Follow action on stage, ie guitar solo = that source 4 that is on that performer, this requires you to pay attention to what is happening on stage.
    Timing, especially cross fading has a huge impact on mood. ie snap vs. fade.
    when should a cue happen? music theory helps a ton here, basically you can predict when a change will come, like playing jazz.
    cue timing/ chase timing : major look changes between verse / courus. little changes or some sparkle with melodies that stand out. par can chases on beat/measures
    this is all genre dependent too.
    Affordable options: chamsys and freestyler
    Get used to running 3 consoles at once, house 2 scene preset board, your intelligent console, and the laser computer, oh plus the visuals software (resolume or whatever) so 4 consoles at once.
    Last edited by lightlinked; 01-12-2015 at 23:09.