Page 28 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Cool

I just ordered my Corona goggles on eBay. So I can see it before it gets to me.

So don't worry about me!
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

In other news, our house was hit by lightning today and caught fire. It hit the iron soil stack coming out of the roof, exploded the rafters in the ceiling where that was strapped and set a bed on fire. Fortunately one of the guys who lives up there was there to see the fire or else we would have lost the whole house. We are all ok, including our dog. But our house is a mess. The 3rd floor is all burned out and there is a lot of water damage in the rest of the house.

What a day.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    In other news, our house was hit by lightning today and caught fire. It hit the iron soil stack coming out of the roof, exploded the rafters in the ceiling where that was strapped and set a bed on fire. Fortunately one of the guys who lives up there was there to see the fire or else we would have lost the whole house. We are all ok, including our dog. But our house is a mess. The 3rd floor is all burned out and there is a lot of water damage in the rest of the house.

What a day.
    Sorry to hear about this... I'm glad that you and yours are OK.

What a day.
    Wow, that's crazy! I hope you have good insurance and you end up with an even better house. Is it salvageable or is it going to have to be demolished? Also, what is a soil stack?

So sorry to hear that. Wishing you the best. This is starting to look biblical with plagues.

soil stack is the vent pipe for your sewer. Vents the sewer gas outside.

Thanks. Yes it's certainly salvageable. It's a red brick Victorian built in 1909. It can be fixed. But quite a lot of stuff got burned up. My partner and I live in the main parts of the house and another couple lives on the 3rd floor. Most of their stuff is toast. I can't believe what an amazing job the Akron fire department did. They brought in tarps and covered stuff on the first floor and actually moved some of my paintings out of harm's way. Still the whole house is a horrible mess. Most of the ceilings are completely soaked through and damaged. And there is stinky filth everywhere.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I finally finished it!
    This is what I was working on in the basement when my house got hit by lightening.

Changing Your Mind
    James Lehman 2020
    48x36 inch acrylic on canvas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200501_143431.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	56550

I painted solid colors of cyan, magenta and yellow and then applied transparent colored finish also in cyan, magenta and yellow over that.

Name:	20200402_175512.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	56551

Name:	20200426_103853.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	56552

Name:	20200429_135251.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	56553
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I finally finished it!
    This is what I was working on in the basement when my house got hit by lightening.

Changing Your Mind
    James Lehman 2020
    48x36 inch acrylic on canvas.

I painted solid colors of cyan, magenta and yellow and then applied transparent colored finish also in cyan, magenta and yellow over that.

Name:	20200429_135251.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	56553
    I like that. There's clearly a pattern, but it's hard to see. Thanks for posting the intermediate steps.

There is only one shape in the whole thing. It is chiral and both the left and right versions are there in all 90 degree rotations. All the points fall on a 4 inch square grid. Since there is a zig-zig thing going on, not only do you get chiral tiles that tessellate but it makes it more challenging to figure out how to use only three colors and not have any two tiles of the same color sharing an edge.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Default Ode To 64

For all of the Commodore 64 fans.

I made this recording right after I got my Fostex A8 1/4 inch open reel 8 track tape machine in 1986.

If you know about the C64 you probably know about its SID sound chip.

I wrote an app that allowed me to poke values into the SID register addresses. I could set it up with some kind of complex sound and just let it go.

I made this piece by recording 8 tracks of the SID. The pitch changes are done either by punching-in with a different SID setting or by adjusting the speed control of the tape machine while it was recording.

There are no effects in this recording. It is nothing but the SID direct to tape. The phase shifting is done by offsetting the frequencies a bit, either by setting the SID or changing the tape recording speed.

http://laserboy.org/stuff/Ode_To_64.mp3

James.
    Last edited by james; 05-28-2020 at 10:48.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials