Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56626364656667 LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Dean and I go back to middle school and we are now pushing 60. We have always been interested in very similar things in very different ways.

In about 97, I started using a sound card and made precise sin stepped sweeps to play into a constant current source driving a reactive load, while simultaneously recording the voltage drop across the load.

Then I would find the peak values of each stepped frequency and I had a measure of frequency vs. voltage which at constant current is proportional to impedance.

Dean figured out how to model the elements of the speakers, capacitors, inductors and resisters in pure math la-la land.

And I could measure the actual thing.

You can see them both here.

https://akrobiz.com/speakers/metal-graphs.html

The results of my translation from the voltage recording wav to the graph of all (positive) voltages at every step was also a wav (never to be played!) of just pure data.

This video explains the process in exquisite detail.

https://laserboy.org/find_out.mp4

Last edited by james; 10-14-2022 at 12:58.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

What an enormous pain in the ass dealing with non standard ascii characters is!

I have figured out how to read utf8 from a text file and convert that to a string of char32_t which is an unsigned 32-bit int (per character). So I can index the string and get a unique identifier for every character, then I map the char32_t value to a frame_set index to find the vector character in the font frame_set with a switch { case: unicode[i] return index; } kind of thing.

So far I have identified this character set:

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~€‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“” •–—˜™š›œžŸ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉ ÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúû üýþÿĄĆĘŁŃŚŹŻąćęłńśźżČčđ

And I have made a few frame_sets with frames for all of these characters in the order they appear in the above string.

Here is arial.ild (not exactly in order).

Code:
    #----------------------------------------------------
    text fixed_space  1.00
    text line_space   1.25
    text to_space     0.90
    text font_name    arial
    text color_rgb    0 255 255
    text fixed left
    arial
    !"#$%&'()*+,-./
    :;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~
    ABCDEFGHIJKLM
    NOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklm
    nopqrstuvwxyz
    €‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“”
    •–—˜™š›œžŸ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨
    ©ª«¬®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º
    »¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊË
    ÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜ
    ÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêë
    ìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüý
    þÿĄĆĘŁŃŚŹŻąćęłńśźż
    Ččđ
    <<__TEXT_END__>>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arail.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	59403

Please let me know if you need any other characters.
    I want to finish this up and realease it soon and then add Greek and Cyrillic for another release.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I finally figured it out!

I had no idea what a "complete" set of vector glyphs would be to satisfy the most languages and I had no idea what order to put those characters in.

Then it occurred to me. All I have to do is make a UTF8 encoded ascii text file with one continuous line of any of the visible characters in any order, name it the same as the font ild file and use it as an index. The location of any character in the string is its corresponding frame index in the ild file!

This is arial.txt

Code:
    !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~€‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“”•–—™š›œžŸ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬®¯°±²³µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿĄĆĘŁŃŚŹŻąćęłńśźżČčđαΓπΣσμτΦΘΩδ∞φε∩≡≥≤⌠⌡≈√ⁿЂЃЄЉЊЋЎЏБГДЖИЙКЛПУФЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯбвгдежзийклмнптфцчшщъыьэюяђѓєљњћќўџ

This is the script:
    Code:
    #----------------------------------------------------
    text fixed_space  1.00https://laserboy.org/mp4/arial.png
    text line_space   1.25
    text to_space     0.90
    text font_name    arial
    text color_rgb    0 255 255
    text fixed left
    arial

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456
    789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKL
    MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`ab
    cdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx
    yz{|}~

€‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“”•–—™š
    ›œžŸ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬®¯°±²³
    µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊ
    ËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßà
    áâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö
    ÷øùúûüýþÿĄĆĘŁŃŚŹŻąćęłń
    śźżČčđ

αΓπΣσμτΦΘΩδ∞φε∩≡≥≤⌠⌡≈√
    ⁿЂЃЄЉЊЋЎЏБГДЖИЙКЛПУФЦЧ
    ШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯбвгдежзийклмнп
    тфцчшщъыьэюяђѓєљњћќўџ

<<__TEXT_END__>>

This is the vector art.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arial.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	59423

I also discovered that I can place font into an inkscape drawing and convert the truetype font into a tool path, which when saved as dxf opens in LaserBoy! So creating any font is pretty easy.

James.

Last edited by james; 10-21-2022 at 10:07.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

You're creating frames for all of those characters?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    You're creating frames for all of those characters?
    Yes. And I wrote a script language that uses an ild frame set font to translate whatever you type in the script to a variety of different layouts. Some of them are animated.

https://laserboy.org/mp4/text.mp4

https://laserboy.org/mp4/text.txt

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Yes. And I wrote a script language that uses an ild frame set font to translate whatever you type in the script to a variety of different layouts. Some of them are animated.

https://laserboy.org/mp4/text.mp4

https://laserboy.org/mp4/text.txt

Interesting. With Spaghetti, I just convert the text directly to points in real time using the data in the font. The fonts are just a sequence of beziers so it isn't hard to do. All the variable width text and spacing is handled by the font data. Something to consider. Any TT font can be handled without any work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Interesting. With Spaghetti, I just convert the text directly to points in real time using the data in the font. The fonts are just a sequence of beziers so it isn't hard to do. All the variable width text and spacing is handled by the font data. Something to consider. Any TT font can be handled without any work.
    Are you using some Windows api to do that? Or are you actually opening the ttf file and reading it directly?

Last edited by james; 10-21-2022 at 13:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Are you using some Windows api to do that? Or are you actually opening the ttf file and reading it directly?

I use a Windows API that provides the list of curves since it comes with the OS. There are open source C++ libs that would work in your case.

I think what I have is pretty nifty. It's relatively easy to use Inkscape to render any text as dxf which opens in my app. It takes time to make a frame_set with some 230 different frames, but I can get through it. Then I make a utf8 text file with a string of visible characters in the same order as the frame_set. This way other people can create fonts of whatever character sets they want. And it works in every OS supported by SDL2. Everything my app does is in the C++ that comes with it (except for an SDL window with an address to blit a bitmap to and keyboard hits).

I have also made a few single stroke fonts by drawing every character in CAD. I will have to draw all of the characters beyond the standard ascii set. Lots of them would be letters I already have with added diacritics.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Default Yet Another Incarnation

Here we have the good old C-Media cm6206 USB audio adapter repackaged yet again...

It just won't go away!

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NBA-20...60794363&psc=1

I wish they'd come up with a 192Khz version.