Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Thanks lasermaster1977!

Most of what I know about math comes from endlessly messing around with it until it works. I don't have any formal education in math past having bombed out of college Calculus. I never ever did homework in any math class but I always did very well on the tests. So I got good grades from all the teachers that weren't dicks about homework. That didn't work in college Calculus.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's the 4:20 version. What do you expect?
    your link was to the 4:02 version, DOAH!

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Thanks lasermaster1977!

Most of what I know about math comes from endlessly messing around with it until it works. I don't have any formal education in math past having bombed out of college Calculus. I never ever did homework in any math class but I always did very well on the tests. So I got good grades from all the teachers that weren't dicks about homework. That didn't work in college Calculus.
    I must correct a statement I made previously. I did NOT get an A in Calculus II (but I was on track to get an A). I dropped all my classes mid-semester to focus full-time on creating laser planetarium shows and the digital/analog electronics that goes with it because the fun, the creativity and the resulting financial reward was just too good to pass up. Taking those two semesters of astronomy classes which took place in a 40' Spitz 512e planetarium, volunteering to help produce/present public astronomy planetarium shows and build or fix electronic equipment used in them was the gateway to my love for this laser visual expressionism.

I love that you created the LaserBoy tool, I'm strongly attracted to its capabilities. One of my biggest problems is: "there so much to do and so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post

I love that you created the LaserBoy tool, I'm strongly attracted to its capabilities. One of my biggest problems is: "there so much to do and so little time!"
    Thank you!

James.
    Last edited by james; 04-22-2021 at 15:13.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I finally got around to installing MSYS2 on my laptop- I got tired of running downstairs to use the mainframe and a jump drive every time I needed to compile something...

In msys2_build_notes.txt I had to change the following line from

pacman -S --needed base-devel \

to

pacman -Sy --needed base-devel \

in order to get everything installed properly.

Please would you show how to sum two or more circles.

If you add two forms that are essentially the same thing that's the same as multiplying one form by 2. It just gets twice as big.

If you want to add two frame_sets vertex-to-vertex you make sure they are both in the registers (generate one then generate the other) and call

Code:
    math  add
    This deletes the first frame_set in the registers and moves the second to the first, leaving the sum in the second.

Generating another frame_set will push the sum back to the first register and leave the newly generated frame_set in the second, so you can call add again, and so on.

One of the generators is called "harmonograph" which is what got me started on this whole Liquid Math thing.

It's formula is

Code:
    # https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonograph
    #    x = LBO1(t) + LBO2(t)
    #    y = LBO3(t) + LBO4(t)
    math  harmonograph
    This is a one step version of adding two lissagou figures.

Can you see how that works?

The wiki page for it is worth reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonograph

An LBO is basically a damped pendulum but I added duty_cycle, offset and function (other than sin).
    Last edited by james; 04-21-2021 at 06:48.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Yeah, James, I'd like to see an example of Greg's request myself.

For example: Show the Liquid Math equivalent for deriving: X=3*sin(0)+5*sin(0), Y=3*sin(90)+5*sin(90)
    I'm guessing the constant multipliers here equate to Frequency in liquid math, i.e. for circle 1 = frequency of 150, circle 2 = frequency of 250 (or lower multiples of a 3:5 ratio)
    In your example, 3 and 5 are the amplitude. 0 and 90 are phase.

It's worth noting that since this all gets scaled to fit inside of short integer space, the actual size of a figure is more or less irrelevant except when compared to other figures in the same space. Offset is also typically factored out unless you normalize with the origin. So there are literally an infinite number of ways to make the same final results.

Not to mention that frequency is directly related to time, so different combinations of frequency and duration can also yield the same results.

LBO(t) == amplitude * function(t * frequency + phase) * e ^ (-damping / t) + offset

duty_cycle is a parameter that has no representation in the above expression. It actually changes the character of function. The value of duty_cycle must be between 0.0 and 1.0. A value of 0.5 is 50%. The sin function has 50% above and 50% below its zero value.

In case you're wondering, Yes. I have had to scrape my brains off the ceiling several times while developing this code.
    Last edited by james; 04-22-2021 at 15:23.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    I finally got around to installing MSYS2 on my laptop- I got tired of running downstairs to use the mainframe and a jump drive every time I needed to compile something...

In msys2_build_notes.txt I had to change the following line from

pacman -S --needed base-devel \

to

pacman -Sy --needed base-devel \

in order to get everything installed properly.
    Cool! Thanks! I'll fix that in my cheat-sheet.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

If you generate a frame_set and you want to save it for use later in the script you can store it in an invisible list of frame_sets and recall it later.

There are only 2 registers A and B to do math on, but you can store as many frame_sets as your RAM will support.

In Win32 your heap is limited to less than 2GB. So this all works much better in 64-bit memory address space.

There are a few good examples of the use of the list. Take a look at oscillator_duty_cycle_with_sums.txt.

Look for store, recall and delist.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials