Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

After some searching, it seems there are USB audio in ADC devices, none of which pass DC, voltage data loggers which do capture DC, but don't export to .wav files, and a few suggestions involving DIY platforms and ADC chips. Thank you all, by the way, for considering the question and the discussion related to sound cards. I'd rather not try to solve this by modifying sound cards though. At this time it seems the voltage data logger approach is the way to go. After requesting information, I was contacted by an engineer from one of the providers of voltage data loggers, and some of the devices have sampling rates up to 50 kHz, which should be adequate for a 44.1kHz wave file. The data is exported as a .csv file, which will require some code to assemble this into a .wav file, but I already have written code that does something similar.

James, you mentioned that some studio equipment is able to digitize DC. Any idea what that type of gear would be called?

Regarding the signals produced by the cycloid generators, since the images are not necessarily symmetric, recording these through capacitively coupled inputs results in the images' center of gravity, as it were, constantly drifting toward the origin, which does not look good. Also, these devices can function both as image generators, and offset generators. For example, the Digital Offset GeNerator (DOGN) board include effects such as ping-pong, random positions, and swooping motion paths which do not in any way perform as intended without the DC being preserved.

For those who haven't seen this yet, the following link is to a short video documenting the output from the DOGN code, in which it can be seen that there is DC which needs to be captured properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ7kAR7D8yU

If your ADC data loggers put out .cvs comma separated values, LaserBoy can read formatted ascii text tables. So you could just open it in LaserBoy and do whatever you want to it and save it as wave or ilda or a set of numbered bitmaps to compile into a video, etc...

A quick search reveals there are several computer sound interfaces that can record synthesizer control voltages.
    Last edited by james; 01-09-2021 at 15:33.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

That is useful to know. Looks like a voltage data logger + LaserBoy is the answer.

LaserBoy is always the answer.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I have a dc modified black face ADAT machine and an Echo Layla 24/96 with ADAT Light Pipe in/out. So I can record 8 x 16-bit 48KHz with dc offsets. I modified my ADAT in late 2003. The Layla is super easy to modify for dc out. I haven't tried to mod it for dc in. But it is differential in and out. So it's probably doable.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

DZ on this forum knows a hell of a lot about all this.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    After some searching, it seems there are USB audio in ADC devices, none of which pass DC, voltage data loggers which do capture DC, but don't export to .wav files, and a few suggestions involving DIY platforms and ADC chips. Thank you all, by the way, for considering the question and the discussion related to sound cards. I'd rather not try to solve this by modifying sound cards though. At this time it seems the voltage data logger approach is the way to go. After requesting information, I was contacted by an engineer from one of the providers of voltage data loggers, and some of the devices have sampling rates up to 50 kHz, which should be adequate for a 44.1kHz wave file. The data is exported as a .csv file, which will require some code to assemble this into a .wav file, but I already have written code that does something similar.

James, you mentioned that some studio equipment is able to digitize DC. Any idea what that type of gear would be called?

Regarding the signals produced by the cycloid generators, since the images are not necessarily symmetric, recording these through capacitively coupled inputs results in the images' center of gravity, as it were, constantly drifting toward the origin, which does not look good. Also, these devices can function both as image generators, and offset generators. For example, the Digital Offset GeNerator (DOGN) board include effects such as ping-pong, random positions, and swooping motion paths which do not in any way perform as intended without the DC being preserved.

For those who haven't seen this yet, the following link is to a short video documenting the output from the DOGN code, in which it can be seen that there is DC which needs to be captured properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ7kAR7D8yU
    Greg, is there a more complete 6502 assembly code listing to that shown in the video?

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Greg, is there a more complete 6502 assembly code listing to that shown in the video?
    lasermaster1977, sorry, I didn't notice your post until now. The complete 6502 listing with my comments and labeling, sine table data, presets, and flow control code that reads the c64 i/o devices and operates the DAC, all exists in a file that loads into the c64 basic interpreter, once a utility called Fast Assembler has been loaded and run. Fast Assembler modifies the c64 BASIC with 8 character labels, hex value representation capability, new compile related keywords, etc.

As such, it is not readily available as a text file for viewing on a PC. It is probably possible to take the fast assembler program and the DOGN source file off the SD2IEC Commodore 1541 Disk Drive Emulator SD Card and, using a PC based c64 emulator, launch Fast Assembler, load the DOGN source, and then somehow capture a listing.

James: I have a .csv file containing a sample of XY data of the DOGN output as recorded by a data logger. I got as far as pressing "i" for file input, but I don't see a csv file type. I expect you wouldn't mind providing a bit of guidance regarding the steps needed to bring this data in to laserboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    lasermaster1977, sorry, I didn't notice your post until now. The complete 6502 listing with my comments and labeling, sine table data, presets, and flow control code that reads the c64 i/o devices and operates the DAC, all exists in a file that loads into the c64 basic interpreter, once a utility called Fast Assembler has been loaded and run. Fast Assembler modifies the c64 BASIC with 8 character labels, hex value representation capability, new compile related keywords, etc.

As such, it is not readily available as a text file for viewing on a PC. It is probably possible to take the fast assembler program and the DOGN source file off the SD2IEC Commodore 1541 Disk Drive Emulator SD Card and, using a PC based c64 emulator, launch Fast Assembler, load the DOGN source, and then somehow capture a listing.

James: I have a .csv file containing a sample of XY data of the DOGN output as recorded by a data logger. I got as far as pressing "i" for file input, but I don't see a csv file type. I expect you wouldn't mind providing a bit of guidance regarding the steps needed to bring this data in to laserboy.
    Thanks Greg,

I was thinking more of using an Apple IIe to view the assembled 6502 code with the S-C Assembler. Got a binary file of it?
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 02-07-2021 at 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Thanks James,

I was thinking more of using an Apple IIe to view the assembled 6502 code with the S-C Assembler. Got a binary file of it?
    That's Greg, not James. Yes there is a binary file I could make available. I have made another attempt to contact dsli_jon, as my contact with him so far has been brief, and I haven't had a chance to ask him about what it's ok to make public. My understanding is that the LII IP is all his. I'll let you know if I hear from him, and hopefully I can post the binary.