Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It is entirely possible that it can be done with the libSDL 1.2 android libs.

An android device knows how to use an external keyboard, you know.

Probably the most complicated part of getting LB to work in android would be accessing the file system. The way it is now, it only knows how to read from directories inside of its own folder. I don't think that would translate to android because it is a structured OS and everything that is part of an application has to go into the right area of persistent storage. It's not a free-for-all store your stuff wherever you want kind of thing like all of the other older operating systems that run on traditional computer hardware.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

36 x 48 inch acrylic on canvas

"Three Nudes On A Beach"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 66437244_2523553857676796_3957071124923154432_o.jpg  

Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Default And Then My Eyeballs Fell Out

60 x 48 inch acrylic on canvas
    James Lehman 2019
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67401596_2550891314943050_8910575770619871232_n.jpg  

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Default The Contrapositive

60 x 48 inches acrylic on canvas
    James Lehman 2019
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69507102_2603786066320241_3895498031386066944_n.jpg  

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Here's another one. I haven't titled it yet.

18 x 24 inch acrylic on canvas
    James Lehman 2019

The background is Stuart Semple's Black 2.0. It's supposed to be the flattest, blackest paint you can buy. It was difficult to work with. It seems like it is just Carbon black powder mixed with a flat acrylic medium.

Does anyone else have any experience with trying to find the least reflective paint?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 69285557_2605182486180599_591990795700011008_n.jpg  

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Those are cool, do you paint everything manually or do you use some sort of template or technique for the repeating tiles?

And do you have a gallery website?

Hi Grix.

I use a lot of masking tape!

I try to come up with all kinds of ways to get paint onto the canvas with some interesting patterning. I use stencils, some of which I cut by hand. I have developed some techniques of using a straight edge putty knife. I also use a lot of found objects as stamps. As an example, I bought a bunch of aluminum heat syncs because they have nice regular rows of lines or dots or dashes and some other stuff.

One of my favorite responses to my art in any medium is "How did you do that?" That gives me a lot of confidence that it is a new and original process that no one else is doing.

I'm very interested in stimulating your visual cortex! Yes, I know that all visual art is supposed to do that. But I'm directly addressing that situation. The human brain is extremely good at pattern recognition. If you think about it, that is the foundation of so much of what makes us human. Language, music, math, technology... how many things can you think of that are based on pattern recognition? I also think that humans can associate concepts that are in reality not related at all. So a canvas of brightly colored patterns can create a kind of mental, conceptual scaffold. Your brain sees patterns and then patterns within the patterns, variations of the patterns and how the patters next to them relate and so on. All of that activity stimulates your mind. You might not be able to close your eyes and imagine the whole painting in your mind in vivid detail, but you will probably remember it well enough that if you saw it again, years later, you would know that you have seen it before and it would be, in some way, familiar. At some level, all of the activity in your mind, that went into seeing it and analyzing it, has created a new set of relationships or thought pathways (the scaffold). Your brain can use that structure to address problem solving of complex systems that have nothing to do with that painting. So a brilliant solution to a math problem could come from the brain activity that went into visualizing that painting. Plus, there is a great deal of satisfaction and a kind of chemical response that takes place in your brain when you develop a comfortable understanding of what you are looking at. In other words, a good painting can make you feel better. I'm painting brain code to make you happy.

I can tell you that some of the most complicated parts of LaserBoy were written at the same time I was working on the first painting in this thread "What Isn't There". I know for sure that the C++ code and that painting are very connected.

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...666#post348666

I want to make art that draws you in. You can't just glance at it and say, yeah, whatever. You should feel compelled to walk up to it and really examine it. It is quite literally psychedelic art!

I do not have a website dedicated to my paintings, but I am in a very nice gallery here in Akron, Ohio. I've been in there for about 10 years and have sold quite a few paintings. More than half of the painting I've sold there were commissioned pieces that were made specifically for people who liked my work but wanted something of a particular size or color scheme. The owner loves my new stuff. She wants to figure out a strategy to get me national recognition so that I might sell my stuff all over the country.

I do have this website though...
    http://akrobiz.com/pc

There are hundreds of pictures of my work with polymer clay. I have been featured in two books on the subject and have been considered to be one of the top, most influential artists in that medium. Unfortunately, polymer clay doesn't have a very good apeel to fine art collectors. That's one of the big reasons I started painting.
    Last edited by james; 09-01-2019 at 17:49.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

This one took a lot longer than I thought it would. Before I give it away with the title, does anyone know what it is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191101_143443.jpg  

20191101_143532.jpg  

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    This one took a lot longer than I thought it would. Before I give it away with the title, does anyone know what it is?
    That piano has too many keys.