Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Point optimisation: how to

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I disagree. Format 4/5 makes more sense than format 3 for storing true colour. 4/5 is the fix for format 3. They should, of course, fix their documentation on their website so the Chinese can make proper format 4/5 SD card readers instead of format 0 only with obscure colorisation.
    Would you agree that skipping format 3 sections would result in the ability to read the following section 0 or 1 and that would at least get you something?

Skipping format 4 or 5 will get you nothing.

But who cares?

It's all busted now.

That actually makes a lot of sense.
    Imagine that!

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-21-2015 at 17:58.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    James will be the first to tell you that he knows more than anyone about storing laser data but he will also tell you that the LaserBoy! user interface is all you ever need to create laser shows. How do you argue with that kind of logic?
    I have never said anything like that.

I have ideas that have been put to actual practice and they work.

And I work on them to improve them whenever I can.

If someone wanted to use nothing but LaserBoy, at least they could create and display show content with free software and a DIY DAC. That's not too shabby.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-21-2015 at 18:02.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Would you agree that skipping format 3 sections would result in the ability to read the following section 0 or 1 and that would at least get you something?

Skipping format 4 or 5 will get you nothing.

But who cares?

It's all busted now.
    Yes, that is true.

And indeed. I don't have time to care about that, when I need to add optimisation to my program and think about how to handle DAC output!

Has anyone ever stopped to think, maybe I didn't write LaserBoy for the world?

Maybe I wrote it for myself and I just chose to share it with the world.

If you can figure out how to make some use of it, good for you!

I know I can do all kinds of neat stuff with it.

And I'm willing to try to explain just about any of it to you.

So what part of my own technology am I wrong about?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Is that question directed at me? Because I think Laserboy is quite capable software. It's for example the only free software that can convert vector art (dxf) to ilda and optimise files.
    I just really don't care about Ilda file formats.

I disagree. Format 4/5 makes more sense than format 3 for storing true colour. 4/5 is the fix for format 3. They should, of course, fix their documentation on their website so the Chinese can make proper format 4/5 SD card readers instead of format 0 only with obscure colorisation.
    For the benefit of our Chinese PL readers...

ILDA format 4 is much like 3D format 0, only it replaces the single color index byte with 3 bytes containing discrete blue, green, and red values (in that order) for a net
    increase of 2 bytes per coordinate point. Format 5 is the 2D version (like format 1) utilizing the same upgraded color scheme. Easy as it gets...

Now I'm off to Spencer Gifts in search of that cheap 24 bit color Chinese laser projector to come...

Is that question directed at me? Because I think Laserboy is quite capable software. It's for example the only free software that can convert vector art (dxf) to ilda and optimise files.
    I just really don't care about Ilda file formats.
    No. That was not directed at you.

It was directed at me.

Thank you. That means a lot coming from a fellow developer.

From what I have seen of your module based laser app, it looks very promising.

I can't say I've ever seen anything like it. And you don't seem to be running out of new ideas for it.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-21-2015 at 21:11.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    For the benefit of our Chinese PL readers...

ILDA format 4 is much like 3D format 0, only it replaces the single color index byte with 3 bytes containing discrete blue, green, and red values (in that order) for a net
    increase of 2 bytes per coordinate point. Format 5 is the 2D version (like format 1) utilizing the same upgraded color scheme. Easy as it gets...

Now I'm off to Spencer Gifts in search of that cheap 24 bit color Chinese laser projector to come...
    Yep. And you won't find the spec in the non-member area of the ILDA website.....

So you might as well follow my link above for a full description.

Or email me about it, like so many other developers have.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-21-2015 at 21:41.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Yep. And you won't find the spec in the non-member area of the ILDA website.....

So you might as well follow my link above for a full description.

Or email me about it, like so many other developers have.

James.

Every other private or quasi-private standards body charges for standards. Heck so do many of the government sanctioned ones.

Even the US National Electric Code is pay to play for the year that it is issued. I just bought a copy for an overseas Engineer on a project. The NEC is put together by a private non-profit corporation that had its roots in the insurance and firefighting worlds.

Try to get your hands on the IEC Laser Safety Stuff for free, for example.

DMX512 is pay to play for the official material...

Believe it or not, Authors and Typesetters and Illustrators need to be paid. Webservers and Book Printing requires money to run. That has to come from somewhere.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-22-2015 at 05:09.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Every other private or quasi-private standards body charges for standards. Heck so do many of the government sanctioned ones.

Even the US National Electric Code is pay to play for the year that it is issued. I just bought a copy for an overseas Engineer on a project. The NEC is put together by a private non-profit corporation that had its roots in the insurance and firefighting worlds.

Try to get your hands on the IEC Laser Safety Stuff for free, for example.

DMX512 is pay to play for the official material...

Believe it or not, Authors and Typesetters and Illustrators need to be paid. Webservers and Book Printing requires money to run. That has to come from somewhere.

Steve
    That's very true.