Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *One* of my other hobbies (I have way too many)

Update on my Coral-=-ATm the main problem i will face is finding food- being so large this one can eat as many as 10 skinks in the same day- something I am fairly sure NEVER happens in the wild. I did weigh a skink and they average ~1 to 3 grams. and 4 to 6 inches in length.
    I guess the snake is `36 inches- dont want to disturb by weighing- measuring or probing to find sex. I will rub a fresh caught skink on a Anole -then feed the skink followed by an attempt to trick the Coral into eating it- they are much more easy to find than ther skinks and bigger too.

tried just offering an anole(with out scenting) but not interested.

when feeding the snake, it become very interested in anything that moves- making me rethink the idea that getting bit is not very likely when feeding- if handled the smell of a skink could be transfered to my fingers so....

It will be a quite a task to capture ~300 skink per year to feed this snake.

I am going to contact as many friends with kiddos and offer something for catching food for my snake- one ribbon or garter snake would be a meal close to a dozen skinks.

hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Why on earth are you feeding it skinks? Have you tried just going with a mouse from a pet store? I didn't think a snake would be all that particular. I always just used feeder mice or rats for my snakes and they ate every few weeks.

Texas Coral Snake- (M. Tener)

It only eats skinks- other snakes or frogs.

IIRC heard of kinda force feedin g them small pinkies thru a tube?? yuck
    so 'it' eats only skinks and small snakes-and small tree frogs- have not witnessed eating any frogs of all corals I worked with -tried at least 5 times.

I got lucky Sunday and found a ribbon snake(15 grams-18 inches) and it ate a med skink (1.5g) just before.
    So the one day feed equals 11 skinks- should keep it growing (I use two hotrocks-enclosure is outside)

I hand offered the prey- quick sniff and it grabbed -head was upside down-
    Invenomated for ~5 minutes - then spent 30 min. swallowing- I am only guessing that the Coral is ~36 inches- from what I have read- its unlikely that any snake eater will easily handle a prey >1/2 its size - so I was pushing the limit- the ribbonsnakes (garter family) are thankfully, very thin-
    I am now thinking this is a male- due to tail shape.

For the very best overall results keeping this snake involves keeping all stress at a minimum.
    So no sex probing or trying to measure length. My other Coral was ~18 inches-

I doubt that there are very many of these (Tx/Fl Coral) being kept- and this one IMO is exceptionally large and at least for now is eating better than I could have hoped. the record is accepted as ~48 inches in both states.

pics right after next shed.

hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 03-06-2015 at 16:02. Reason: I was rude
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

I remember a huge hissy fit fight on a herp forum because a guys critter only ate anoles and other small lizards, the thing that these people miss is while your pet in the wild would eat these things as a normal diet and as herp collectors some times have to set the cuteness of your pets food supply a side, it's just the way it is, we and our lizards need meat to live, we can go vegan but i dont think a snake would be even close to happy if his/her diet is off, I still don't like the sounds mice make when one of my dragons gets a hold of one, but as snacks they have the fat the dragons need and oddly sound like breaking raw pasta noodles, I am just glad i trained them at a young age that my fingers are not food. when they are hatchlings i let them goto town on my fingers and learn rather fast that they cant eat then lol
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

-My new Coral is doing exceptionally well. so far only refusing to eat an anole after rubbing head on night skink- fed the skink- offer4ed the anole and nio interest- I no longer feed Corals by releasing prey in enclosure-

i am not used to this species being so easy to keep (knock wood) and the size--

large captive numbers have only been successful with force feeding- at two week intervals with venom extracted each time- up to 200 snakes most caught by the locals who wanted to help with anti-venin work-- many had to be released due to condition and when it closed IIRC they only were able to 'place' the better specimens- rest were released around Ocala and Orlando.

Somehow somebody says they estimate 100.000 Corals in TX and Fl- and that because they are so rarely seen in 'no danger' unlike snakes like the Indigo in Fl( one of my favs!!)a threatened species.

FYI
    NO 'herpers' (even amature) have ever been killed and I bet VERY few bitten- with a lot of dry bites- by a TX/FL Coral- docile- but i would not touch the nose withscent of skink on your finger.

BUT Jeff Corwin was bitten by a less docile species a Coral snake in Cent. or S. Am. IIRC
    and now has a tat of it on his arm. I FBooked him about my coral but no reply so far.

I will be needing to set up a place for the food to 'reside' between meals- Should be able to find lots of newborn/hatched snakes soon. IMo even trying pinkies is a waste- and dont care for the 'shooters' they have for that-eww-- mouse in a tube--

When it goes into 'shed' I will bag and weight and see if i can get it 'tubed' without much stress.

maybe a 4 or 5 foot piece of soft tubing- home depot- mark it off in inches- record is not quite 4 feet- & very likely a dead Coral snake- very hard to accurately measure a live snake.Mine could very well be one of the biggest currently being kept.longest time kept was afaik 7 years..lifespan can be more than 12 years
    . pics when IT looks better.(after the shed )
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 03-06-2015 at 16:59.