Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *plink* Oops! (A tale of sad green...)

feel your pain, broke a mirror off a pt30 yesterday, there was a lot of cursing

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    One of the best renderings I have seen. Yep, the 445 is quite violet/deep blue. I am curious about mixing 405 with 445 for V/DB. I am still looking forward to someone building a 405, 445, 462, 520, 532, 638~642, 660 projector. No doubt the dichros would be ridiculous, not to mention the PBS cubes for the bands that are only a few 10s of nm apart.
    I have 445/473/532/642/650?

going to replace the 473 with 462 though

got to say I saw a bunch of projectors with 445 vs 462 at selem, having only 462 really kills the beautiful deep blues 445 makes... but I think having both will be quite awesome!

Smile

Slightly off-topic, but since the discussion has shifted to 445 nm blue vs 462 nm blue, I thought I'd add my $.02

While I agree that 462 nm blue looks much better for just about everything, there is one area where having 445 nm blue really makes a noticeable difference: WHITE.

The white that you get with 445 nm blue is crisp, clean, cool, and almost electric. By comparison, using 462 nm blue creates a noticeably warmer white. It may not be a big deal to some, but if you see a pair of projectors running side-by-side, the difference is stunning. (Especially for beams!)

I have two Pluto projectors with 445, and two others with 462. I much prefer the white from the 445 units, even though for every other application I prefer the other projectors.

In a perfect world, I would have both wavelengths in a projector, but that's going to have to wait until I have money to burn.

Adam

but that's going to have to wait until I have money to burn.
    TBH it doesn't have to cost the earth. My last dual builds simply used one 445 and one 462 diode, on a dual driver, but modulated together. The balance can then be adjusted on the drivers.
    No more expensive than 2x 445, other than the 462 diode cost was a bit more. But peanuts in the scheme of things.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

473 is a DPSS type laser still? i saw my first one in 2005 or so and for some reason always liked that color of blue, I have half of a 473 that should have worked with a pump and correction optics but i cant get the damn thing to lase even though on paper it should have worked

473 is a DPSS type laser still?
    Mostly yes. I believe someone has a 470nm or thereabouts DI diode, but costs are big currently.
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    TBH it doesn't have to cost the earth. My last dual builds simply used one 445 and one 462 diode, on a dual driver, but modulated together. The balance can then be adjusted on the drivers.
    No more expensive than 2x 445, other than the 462 diode cost was a bit more. But peanuts in the scheme of things.
    On a brand-new projector build, I agree that the cost is trivial.

My problem is that I already have 4 nice projectors, and there's no room inside for extra parts. So to modify them all to have both 445 and 462 would require a complete tear-down and re-build. That gets expensive!

Adam

you guys have many projectors and i am just starting on my first one and it's only 532nm, lol

Roughly where I was 4 or 5 years ago. Now got 7 RGB totaling 32W and about 4 that have fallen by the wayside, a few drawers full of parts. Be afraid.
    Frikkin Lasers

I started with a 100 mw TTL green-only projector.

Lasers are an addiction. I don't want to total up what I've spent - it makes me cry.

Adam