Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Projection Mapping

I'm looking for something that is bright enough to map a 2 story house. I read you need at least 3000 lumin for that. but i will also mostly be using it in my apartment, so without measuring id said a 10 ft min and 25ft max

There are online projector calculators that you can use to enter the model of the projector or the lens ratio and it will tell you how far you need to throw for a given image size.

There are some projectors with exchangeable lenses and some external lenses that go on the front of the projector. But more often than not, the lens will cost more than the whole projector.

You should also do some research about what kind of projector technology you want to use. There are single LCD, triple LCD, DLP and others. They all have pros and cons.

For me, getting a $20K, 3 LCD, 5000 lumin, 1080p for less than $1600 was a no-brainer.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-23-2015 at 12:27.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

set your secondary or 3rd, 4th, etc for each output to match the native resolution of your projectors. another option for a lappy to do more than 1 projector is to use a matrox triple head 2 go which would allow you to span 3 projectors of matched (or not they have ok scaling) out of that 1 port. for a serious things a rack computer with multiple graphics cards or multiple media servers usually happens. or u use a production switcher
    in resolume or on something like an axon media server u can cut up the output into zones each with geometry correction.
    Chamsys has a media server now! check it out

wow. i feel like this is going to be a harder decision than it was for choosing a laser pj. im guessing i deff need a short throw projector. and high contrast is good too right? im trying to keep it under 1000

a 3500 lumen wxga (720 p) projector is fine for small clubs/bars. i think you can get a 3500 lumen 1080p projector for around $700 usd now. you can also stack or offset two for twice the brightness but requires critical setup. don't forget you have to put the thing someplace. I have some diy mounts for sticking them on light stands or rigging on truss. they are light enough now to go on even a flimsy stand + sandbags

High contrast is good!

The DLP will be better than the LCD for that.

As a matter of fact, that is one thing that is not so good about my projector.

When you show a totally black screen you still see a very obvious dark gray rectangle on the screen.

Contrast ratio is directly connected to how-black-is-black.

DLP projectors with spinning color wheels only show one color at a time. Some are red, green, blue, yellow, white. When you dart your eyes from left to right, you can see the staggered, separated colors.

The human eye is pretty good at seeing lots of different colors and it also adjusts for contrast ratio.

I figured having full on simultaneous RGB was a better choice over strobing colors.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

whoa if u r mapping a house... how big is this thing? are the colors/surfaces of the building reasonable to be projected upon? usually this kind of thing is like, renting multiple atleast 7000 lumen event projectors PLUS you still have to put them someplace which might be a climate controlled housing if it is a long term art install.
    price per dollar on this kind of thing does bring it down, if you can conceivably paint the entire structure from one point across the street (one projector) a animation laser beats the video projector on contrast, ie you can paint pretty much anything with laser and you will see it on that surface, except for reflective surfaces.
    content for video mapping is usually all done in aftereffects cuz u can make a 3d model of the building and texture map it.
    a laser is a different beast when it comes to making content. ur probably looking at cinema 4d or flash to pangolin or drawing frames

how big is this thing? how long is it out there? do u wanna own the gear when done?

i guess im going to just start with trying to map out some angles of my small apartment first, to see if its for me. i just thought itd be cool if i could find a projector thats versatile, something i could also use at a local venue.....as its rather discouraging all the hoops i have to jump to use a laser out there. haha

So I actually forgot that I own an old projector, it's old circa 2000, but do you think this will be sufficient to use at the apartment to see if I dig the art? It just needs a bulb that I found used for around 60. The projector also has a lens that's different from stock that's shown in the picture. it protrudes outward way more and has a convex lens. Is this the lens you guys might be talking about to make the image wider? I'm assuming.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=1029

Short throw lenses that don't distort the image or separate the colors are usually expensive.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials