Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Projection Mapping

Here's a picture of it

Sorry it didn't work on my phone. Give me a few min to use a computer
    Last edited by DSOTM1973; 01-24-2015 at 20:07. Reason: Picture didn't post

trying this again

Attachment 46125

Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM1973 View Post
    i guess im going to just start with trying to map out some angles of my small apartment first, to see if its for me. i just thought itd be cool if i could find a projector thats versatile, something i could also use at a local venue.....as its rather discouraging all the hoops i have to jump to use a laser out there. haha
    What software do you have?

If you have Beyond you could try Emulaser with a projector instead of laser. You'll have no safety or regulation issues so far as I'm aware doing it that way.
    Last edited by White-Light; 02-01-2015 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    What are you looking for?

Mitsubishi dropped out of the video projector market because of all of the cheapo off-brands eating up their sales.

So they told some of their retailers to dump their inventory.
    Did they make a 3DLP projector? That would be awesome.
    -Dan

I just replaced the bulb and answered many of my previous questions. It's not a whole lot bright, this may be because it's old, and the contrast ratio is low like 400:1. Would the difference between 2700 lumen and 3000 be a very noticeable difference?

I think it will be sufficient to mess around with in the meantime. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good upgrade? I went to best buy, office max, and a few other places and they all seem to carry the same pjs and very few to choose from. I also can't try them before buying because they're all empty display shells. I'm guessing I can buy a better pj online anyway, but it's be nice to see the difference of new technology.

As for a program, I downloaded about 5 that were recommended on a mapping site, some were free, some were trials. I do have beyond, but have never used emulaser.

For Emulaser Pangolin recommend extreme contrast ratios above all else (ie brightness is less important that contrast).

I believe their recommended projector is this - the Epson 5030UB (ultra black):

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=V11H585020

I couldn't comment on it's suitability for projection mapping. I suspect that outdoors you'd need a serious commercial projector as suggested by James above for projection mapping.

As for Emulaser, I've not used it. There are 1 or 2 videos on Youtube as some people on here used one at Selem. So far as I'm aware, geometric shapes ie boxes, cones, fences, sheets etc appear very close to a laser of around 1W. Beam / hot beams however, appear much dimmer not only than laser beams but the geometric shapes.

I was messing around with the emu laser last night. My projector is deff old, and not bright at all. But I think it's cool that I don't need another fb3 to run effects to a second 'projector' with beyond. Might be cool if I point it at the floor from a shelf.

I need a better projector, with the main intention to map and emu laser isn't necessary. So maybe contrast ratio isn't as important as brightness?