Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneak Peek - Introducing Maxwell - A software laser synth (analogish)

As for the music industry, the reason you see lots of Macs there has less to do with "artsy" people liking Macs, and more to do with pragmatism... Mac OS has a really well designed audio kernel which makes dealing with audio hardware and audio software much less eventful than many Windows solutions. It's reliable and it works well. Not to say you can't put together an awesome recording solution on Windows, but it takes a bit more fiddling with drivers and such to get things stable.
    I'd say a good chunk of the reason people choose Mac over PC for music is that Logic ceased to be available for PC after 5.5
    I know a lot of producers who took a deep sigh, and then reluctantly paid Apple some cash than have to resort to Cubase, etc.

Why did it happen? Emagic's buyout by Apple may have had some bearing on it... :-/
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

on the other hand, macs don't come preloaded with crapware, spyware, and malware.

apropos:

http://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-t...e-than-adware/
    https://blog.filippo.io/komodia-supe...ion-is-broken/

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Some of my issue comes more from the sometimes obnoxious attitudes of the users rather than the actual product/company. It's a bit like dealing with Dallas Cowboy fans.... Or religious fanatics. "If you don't believe in or pray to my God, you're going to hell."

I don't have a big issue with the company or the products - I do have some yes but, in general, they're just tools. Different strokes for different folks. Under the hood, they're a lot closer to a pc than ever before so much of it is just the OS. There are some things that mac's do very, very well and more efficiently than pc's but at the same time, there are a number of areas where they lag severely behind. They tend to have more appeal for "artsy" folks since they're probably best suited for desktop publishing, photo and video editing and manipulation, music and so forth. Whereas for legitimate business use and particularly business presentation, they leave a lot to be desired. Apple is still all about the dollar and I can't fault them for that - that's what they're in business for but, one example I regularly deal with is trying to hook peoples mac's up to our AV system to show videos and youtube clips and Apple - in their infinite wisdom - has created about 6 different ways out outputting video from their laptops - none of which natively mate up to any projector manufactured so, they force their users to all go spend $26.95 at the Apple store for a dongle to make it work. Ka-ching! I could go on but, it would get off topic and I need to leave for work anyway.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    on the other hand, macs don't come preloaded with crapware, spyware, and malware.

apropos:

http://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-t...e-than-adware/
    https://blog.filippo.io/komodia-supe...ion-is-broken/
    I don't have these problems because the only thing I install on my computer is Windows and my windows disc comes with no bloatware. I haven't installed an anti-virus on my computer in years. This really isn't a Windows issue, it's a vendor issue. Just like I can say my icloud wasn't hacked... because I don't have one. The icloud SNAFU had nothing to do with MacOS itself, but a service that Apple provided.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

It's HERE! Original post updated with all pertinent information. Enjoy! This is a beta. Feedback is welcomed and expected!

Looks great. unfortunately I get the same problem as I get with my Windows programs and the interlock light comes on my ED, then the App hangs.
    Looks like I'm going to have to try a bit harder to contact Dr Lava, I think I have a duff ED.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

If you ever wanted to be able to save your output to a fixed file, you could easily save it as wave.
    Just one point about ILDA file support - you could reach a much larger user base if planning to sell this.

Save to wave or live only, and you're limited to LSX / Etherdream users. Save to ILDA, and you can reach everyone as even those programmes that I believe are locked to proprietary file formats for export or to specific DAC's, such as Pangolin, Fiesta etc usually allow ILDA IMPORT.

I have no axe to grind either way, as graphics aren't really my thing. But the more people who can buy your product, the more money you make! Same with Windows OS support.

Seems some people are having trouble when first launching the app due to it being an unsigned app. Make sure to first drag it to your applications folder. Also make sure to deselect "Run in 32 bit mode" in the Get-Info dialog of the app. Then if you launch the app and you see a dialog claiming the app is damaged, right-click on the app to bring up the contextual menu, then select "Open". You should only have to do these steps once.

I moved the Installation Notes / Release notes section of the overview up to the top of the first post overview - as it seems many people were not reading the installation notes. Hopefully it will get more attention up there. I readme file has now been included with the app.

Update: According to this Apple support article, you don't have to hold "option" while selecting open. You only have to right click to bring up the contextual menu and select Open. You can also turn off Gatekeeper by going to System Preferences->Security & Privacy ->General and under the header "Allow applications downloaded from" - select "Anywhere". Whether or not you leave that setting on all of the time is up to you. I leave it on which is why I didn't see this issue during my testing. The next update will be a signed app, so this issue will go away.
    Last edited by BlueFang; 02-23-2015 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotta View Post
    Looks great. unfortunately I get the same problem as I get with my Windows programs and the interlock light comes on my ED, then the App hangs.
    Looks like I'm going to have to try a bit harder to contact Dr Lava, I think I have a duff ED.
    That is quite unfortunate. Make sure you are running the app in 64 bit mode, and if you are still getting crashes and hangs, then I would say there is a hardware issue with your Ether Dream. The Ether Dream as well as the libetherdream driver are rock-solid for me.

A new beta version is here (Beta 2)!

The main update for this version is MIDI controller support, including an easy to use MIDI learn feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi-learn-osc.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	46506

Simply enable MIDI Learn Mode and click on any GUI control with your mouse to highlight that control, then twiddle a knob on your controller to make the assignment. Multiple MIDI CCs can be assigned to a single GUI control, as well - multiple GUI controls can be controlled by a single MIDI CC input - why you would ever want to do this, I'm not sure, but the capability is there

A pink highlighted control is one that currently has no assignments. A green highlighted control is one that has an assignment. SHIFT-CLICKing on a green control will remove all assignments from that control.

Easy peasy!

Also, because in my opinion MIDI learning is something that Max/MSP should offer out-of-the-box but doesn't, I have open sourced my implementation of this feature. The Github project can be found here:

Max-midi-learn
    Last edited by BlueFang; 03-07-2015 at 19:29.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    SHIT-CLICKing on a green control will remove all assignments from that control.
    Does that mean a laptop is required, or do you guys all have your workstations installed in the loo?