Thread: Hello! New here so just sayin hi!!

Default Hello! New here so just sayin hi!!

Hello. My name is Joe. I am new to this forum, so I figured I would say hi. I am from laser pointer forums. They are real big on intros so I'm just doing my thing. I got into lasers this past summer and me being me, I got into a recent hobby pretty serious and quick. I am now in the noob level on building small handhelds, with soldering, diode pressing, and driver current setting.
    I was reffered from a big member on LPF...
    Soo here I am. I hope this is the right place to post this.. I didn't see an intro section, So admins I appologize in advance.
    Oh and I still need to do my profile.
    I am from Portland Oregon. I am also a full time mechanic so my writing may sometimes seems like I'm ESL.. ha! I am 29 years old.
    I have two pairs of eagle goggles and a few other cheap ones!!
    ok I thinks thats all for now!!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Welcome to PL. I suppose it's true that there isn't specifically an introduction section. People just tend to pop up in places where the feel compelled to jump in. You will find that this forum tends to deal more in lasers used for light show purposes than in popping, cutting and burning things but, nonetheless, you'll find it's a good and often very interesting read.

While many of us have one or two in our collections whether we want to admit it or not, most may express concerns over the safety of pointers - not so much the pointer itself as them being in the wrong hands of people who don't know the damage they can cause and so, tend to gravitate towards "higher uses". Be sure to check out the artwork of Swamidog and the abstract shows he creates with a program called LSX. Or some of the projector builds and amazing metalwork done by some to create modules and other parts. The science that goes into extracting every last ounce of performance of those diodes by a member named planters and his great videos. The recent multi-projector beam shows created by Gabe. The masterful home disco of dkumpula. The old skool electronic wizardry of DZ. There is a very diverse group of extraordinary people here.

Right on thanks man!
    Yea I've honestly never been too into burning.. I've never even popped a balloon with one yet. I guess the closest thing would be is lighting a match 15' away with one of my 445 builds, But that was kinda boring for me. I love projectors!!! When I first started LPF I told myself I was going to build one.. Well much research later I find myself... far away from that goal in the next few years. HA! But thats ok. Its the journey not the destination right?

Welcome! Don't worry about your previous pointer practices here. Fascination with the power in a laser beam goes deep with all involved. Here's how they used to do it!
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...tists+behaving

if you want to build a cheap projector you can get kit systems from china and use one of your own lasers. there is info floating around too on freeware and info on converting sound cards to control the said china scan engines, thats kind of where i am sitting at now. I too started with flash lights then found LPF My first higher power 532 laser i bought in 2003, sadly i think i killed it trying to use it off of a power supply, it's only victim was a bug that happened to be in a engineering lab i worked at back in 2003, people got a kick out of till the burned bug smell permeated the lab but that does get boring, displays are where the fun is at now. I have a 445 pointer that i think i am going to use in a projector when i can get the cash for the correction prism set. My truck i drive only has front brakes so i am saving my penny's to buy the line when it gets a bit warmer, I am in Michigan so every thing on a car corrodes in record time. I like working on my own stuff and almost became a mechanic but bending line while on wet cold ice is no longer my idea of fun. lol.
    nice to have you on the forum!
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu