Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brightlight stops selling modules commercially.

Our options are not just you or China
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

TBH I don't think the issue is China but the global economy.

Your products are high end and atm there are many clubs struggling or going out of business so to get owners to buy high end laser products is going to be a tough sell.

At least on major Ibiza club was rumoured to be on the verge of bankruptcy last year with others allegedly struggling and some being reported to reducing entrance fees from the £50-60 they were charging a few years ago to £15-20. There were also reports of some empty nights.

In a climate like that, persuading people to spend £10-15K on a projector is a very tough sell.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I have still interest in lasers but my ambition was not selling modules commercially. I sold quad kits and later modules just to adchieve the goal that i had in mind. Even if i had the ambition to offer modules to companies that are in the high end market they still want an 0.8mrd for less then the price of a Kvant and i need to have 10 pieces on the shelf or a delivery time of 3 weeks. An average person is seeing a nice module but i have to build it.
    Well here the issue I would say is not your quality but the fact that you just don't have the premium branding or brand awareness of Kvant. Eventually you would not doubt get up there, but until you're recognised as being as high end or higher than Kvant, you're not going to be able to sell at their prices no matter how much better your divergence might be. It's all about brand awareness unless you want to sell to the hobbyist market in which case yes they'll lap your product up but again not at Kvant prices.

The higher price is justified versus the quallity. Kvant has 1.6mrd and i have allot lower. So in theory i could sell them for them same price. I often made package deals where people would save allot where the total cost where lower then what Kvant offers. But that doesn,t help because people don,t buy them since their budget is set at 1500usd for a 3 watt rgb nowadays. That budget is set by the standard what china can offer for a ready build and the eventmanagers who demand more power since they know that there is always someone who is willing to do it for their price. 3 years ago the budget was 5000 usd and now its 1500usd for an RGB.

The reallity is that people don,t build anymore so the demand is less because people can buy a china box for 1500usd. There are many guys willing to do a show for a crate of beer and 150 euro for an all night lasershow incl control and the complete installation. Because of the multimode reds the standard is now a dirty beam waved over the audience. The left picture is done by a respectable lasercompany and they get away with this.The right picture is not mine but it shows how i think a laser should look like.

Everyone has an opinion about how and why but at the end of the day i adchieved what was needed. I moved forward and reached the point where i needed to be in time. Laserpower and i will keep working together to adchieve what we have in mind. The rest is history.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails werner bankner red.jpg  

1.jpg  

Last edited by edison; 02-05-2015 at 16:51.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

I think that was kind of my point though. At the low end people want Chinese prices (bottom line you either have money to spend or you don't!). At the high end, no matter how good your modules are, you don't have the established name of a company such as Kvant, so when it comes down to choosing between a company most people have never heard of or Kvant, at near Kvant prices, many companies / owners are going to feel more comfortable with an established well known high end quality brand. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your modules, it just means that from known reputation Kvant = quality, Brightlight = who? So, when they're risking large sums of money, many people go with a company they know and they can trust through brand awareness, and that means that even though your modules are also high quality and your company trustable, you may lose out on business. This is where building the brand reputation and awareness comes into play.

Ultimately, you've decided to leave the market and that is a shame.

However, if it was me and I wanted to get big, (you probably don't have the capacity to do this), then I'd charge just a fraction more than the Chinese companies for your product that is far superior. Build the reputation and brand, and then when everyone had heard of me and the high end buyers were clambering for Brightlight over Kvant etc, start to raise prices in increments up to the level of the currently well known big name quality players. That way you capture the name and then climb into the high end sector of the market. I think to start high, whilst not impossible, eg many perfume or clothing brands come straight in at the higher end, is a difficult thing to achieve with something as expensive as projectors where people are gambling money in the high thousands to tens of thousands, rather than the high tens...

....and that's without the added complications of the current world economy and clubs that are struggling to fill their capacity...

In my mind it isnt so much about modules these days. Its really who can do a good turnkey system. For me, its at a point now where I don't have the time to spend building what I need.

KVANT do and they are a good price with the Clubmax. RGB lasersystem and Arctos do to, but the price needs some thought. Laserworld.... Well laserworld is laserworld... China is catching up, but still leaves a lot to be desired..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Its really who can do a good turnkey system. For me, its at a point now where I don't have the time to spend building what I need.
    Agreed, although for me its about being able to buy a good bare bones system, good case, electronics inc scanfail, 506's, etc. I 'amost' have a standard now, but its time consuming putting that bit together.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Really sorry to hear that Johan. I hope to see you keep sharing your fantastic builds

Company like Lightspace in China is selling projectors like flash lights, hundreds of units a month. It is a few tens of people production line as I know. While most of you guys sit in the garage and adjusting screws whole day long, so I would say don't compete with them, and good luck to Kvant.

if you sell, don't sell low because of your hard works and superb specs, there is a position for you in the market and you are gonna hold it.

Thanks sean. I will keep working on things but with having a daily job i don,t have to sell to get the nessesary cashflow to reach that point where i want to be. Kvant will get a hard time that,s for sure. Eightonlight projectors are a straigth copy that allot cheaper so more and more people will buy from china. We could have make the choice and buy china boxes and rebrand them to become reseller just to make money. But that has never been the goal. Laserpower and i know what is needed to make the final steps so we both can move forward. I,m also looking forward to have spare time again because my work day stops at half past 4 in the afternoon where it was normally 2.00 in the night. So no regrets what so ever

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

you have to adjust to market conditons, as a business owner, or go out of business ...
    not different than any other biz out there...
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

I wish you the best Johan.

I know by fact that business means constantly changing your route to the future. I myself have had to endorse more changes at times then I was happy or even actually willing to do, but they have lead me to where I am now and I must say I am quite happy with it in the end.

All the best

Peter