Thread: Eye melty abstracts, but LED based... (My DIY RGB video screen)

Default Eye melty abstracts, but LED based... (My DIY RGB video screen)

I've always had a thing for those rgb led screens. So yea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78RU...ature=youtu.be

So far it's a bit over 6' wide, 1.5' high.

I'm going to build more once I can CNC cut or laser cut the mounting board that sits between modules and frame. Jigsawing them, never again (6 hours each.)

Also, sheer brightness and raw color is lost in pictures of it for some reason. Maybe AGC on the camera.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that is tres sexy. now you need to make it bigger and 16:9
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Very cool!

Can you give more details on the electronics and software. I just started building some pixel based stuff with strips. I have been using Madrix for the software but am limited to the number of pixels with the basic version.

Nice, did you use Linsn sending/receiving cards to run the display modules?

@Swami - yea, it makes me want to make more of them and just scale up! It's expandable, and the software can handle driving multiple receiver cards.

@Logsquared - They're p10 RGB LED modules from aliexpress. Uses 4 x 40 amp 5vdc power supplies. They daisy chain horizontally, and each row is tied to an output on this receiving card. The software has some scroller functions, but can also screen grab from a Windows desktop and push that. So that opens the door to a lot more possibilities.

@luxilid - I don't know what that is, but if it's the pair of cards no. I saw the card that goes in the PC then somehow loops video through it or something and sends it over cat5, but never used one. What I have is the $45 card that has gigabit ethernet, and the software just drives the data to it over ethernet. It seems a bit sloppy. It's UDP traffic and of course in the house I think it's basically getting thrown through the gigabit network switches then hitting the Verizon router internet side and blows out the wifi everytime it's streaming. I need to either throw a 2nd nic in the PC, VLAN it out, or split the network up. I'm planning to make some changes and replace the Verizon router with an older Juniper I have hanging around but haven't gotten there yet. The software does work pretty well, it's a bit confusing configuring it and it can't properly see the control board for the display unless the computer is directly connected to it. When I used the screen at an event I just plumbed the laptop to it, ran winamp + milkdrop + linein plugin, and threw it up on there. It was picking up audio off the internal mic on the laptop and worked fairly well. Had to dim it at night, it was a bit too bright.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

what was your build cost? i kind of want one.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I think around $450. It was $400 shipped ($100 of that shipping) for 18 modules, cables, 3 x 40amp PSUs, and the sending card and other bits. Then up to $50 in wood. They sell frames for the stuff that are metal and nice but shipping it was really high cost, and I wanted it in half. 18 modules is technically a square meter or so. I built mine to fit in the back seat of a car, 3 wide x 3 high per box that can be stacked or run side by side. I'll build more.

They will end up at pinball tournaments and stuff.

It *IS* possible to get higher pixel density, p5 and p7 modules, etc. It's just more expensive and perhaps more power hungry.

This is so legit! <3 it telmnstr! Keep it up!