Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound card dac users, need a tester!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ..Perhaps just clean the heads?
    + 1 for this Comment.. FOR SURE, you need to clean all transport-rollers / heads, etc, with the proper fluid (denatured Alcohol is fine, but Acetone is a NO..) / nice, clean 'chamois-swabs', *before* and *between* tape-rips... They're probably practically 'dripping' the oxide, if they've been in storage that long...

..Also, DON'T USE the "cleaning tapes", I've been warned from My Elders that know.. Good cleaning-info resource: http://www.palsite.com/pcat_hclean.html

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Really old magnetic tape often suffers from absorbing humidity from the air. It makes the tape to transport friction high enough to mess up the playback speed and also it rips the magnetic coating off of the tape backing material.

You can dehydrate tapes before using them.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I've had soundcard DAC issues for the past few days and finally solved it with James help so I'll finally get to check these out. Might not be until we get to Utila this weekend but then buffo, Hank, platinum, neutrino and Dan can all chime in as well.
    Awesome! Still Jelly, wish I had the time off. Gonna have to get some diving in this summer to make up for it. Was going to pick up a solo diver cert so I could easily hit the Rawlings quarry this summer but it sounds like it's closing :-( Need to get back to Key Largo sometime, that place was nice.

Still dumping videos. I think I've done 12 or 13 now. About 30 to go. And I need to capture the video to DV files still. Lots of issues with firewire bridges and stuff. Annnnd I just looked on ebay and just picked up a gadget that will let me get the composite video into the production switcher rig at a quality that should allow it to be played back and work for $25.

Also no line on a 3/4" deck yet. Grrr.