Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound card dac users, need a tester!

Default Sound card dac users, need a tester!

Hello,

This is a dump from beta vcr tape from an Image Engineering decoder thru black ADAT to Silicon Graphics Octane to Linux box converted from AIFF to WAV.

Looking for people with sound card DACs or other means for wav file to show playback to test, and tell me how it compares to other similar files? Track layout matches that from Pangolin doc.

There *is* noise on the x axis, and dropouts and other stuff. This show is from 87 to 89 era, Rockford Illinois LaserRock. Working to get it better.

The file is 1GB.

I have stacks of tapes to convert, and plan to put up a new web server for shows that are in the publc.

https://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/LaserShows/

Feedback is appreciated!

Forbidden!

Can't download the file, looking forward to seeing the old stuff though!

Fixed! Context permission thingy.

Downloading fine now, thanks! I'll pull it down tonight and check it out tomorrow.

Hello,

Same here, "Failed - Server problem" when doing a "Save link as..." in Windows 7 (using Chrome 40.0.2214).

ED

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I can test it tomorrow as well. I just got a new show laptop and am getting my soundcard dac and Layla up and running on it anyway. Looking forward to it!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I was also able to successfully get the whole thing.

You can show a wave on the computer screen with LaserBoy, in Windows, Linux or Mac OSX.

You can have LB search the whole wave looking for the biggest voltage change from one sample to another to see just how scanner friendly it might be.

You can also open the wave as a frame set and convert it to ILDA.

I just got a "failed, server problem" when I tried to DL with Chrome.

I'll try to DL it tomorrow on my new Raspberry Pi 2 and see how it goes.

.... looks like the browser Epiphany in Rasbian saves only the name and zero data.

Good old Internet Exploder in XP seems to be getting it.

OK. I am able to select smaller chunks of it and import it into LB.

There is a LOT of noise on X. Unfortunately I don't think this is really playable on a projector this way.

It seems like the image is centered quite a bit below the zero Y axis and Y seems to be squished a bit compared to X.

All of the channels are inverted, so it is in the right polarity for a typical modified sound card DAC.

James.
    Last edited by james; 02-25-2015 at 22:14.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

As it is, it doesn't seem to want to play on the screen in LB, so I opened the whole thing in Audacity and exported it as an 8 channel wave. That plays fine in LB.

It's not full screen. It's low in Y and a bit to the left in X.

Lots of noise in X and some in Y.

Not good for scanners.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I managed to play a little bit of the file last night. Worked great going thru USB to ADAT optical to my converter via Foobar2000. The sound was very low but I corrected that in Audacity. With some work I bet the sound quality can be improved in Audacity as well. I should also be able to correct the Y offset.

It's interesting that there's significant noise on X but no so much on Y. Is it possible that the decoder has an issue and not the tape itself?

It's still pretty neat to see how they did shows ~30 years ago and even more amazing that you're able to recover this data!